35 replies to this topic

#1 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:06 PM

OK, friends. Here's the latest.

We've got "The ArtsandFaith.com Top 100 Films" survey/voting technology nearly ready.

So it's NOT going to be voting by PM but a true survey website with ratings from 1 to 5 plus a "Haven't Seen It" option. (You'll be asked at the end to provide your A&F screen name and e-mail address to prevent vote fraud.)

It's an incredible list and the survey technology is pretty cool, but there's no two ways about it -- this is going to be a task you're going to need to set some time aside to do.

In other words we'd like you to rate all 350 or so films, even if it involves a lot of clicking on "Haven't Seen It."

Are you with me? Are you ready for this thing?

Superbowl Schmuperbowl! This is the mightiest content around.

Get ready for us to announce that the survey is open. We'll give you the link.

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,325 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 12:22 AM

Will there be any way to vote for it in stages? Like, say, if someone has time to rate 50 movies now, and 50 movies tomorrow, and 50 movies a week from now, etc.? Or does it all have to be done in one go?

#3 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:12 AM

Right now I don't think you can vote in stages. I will check, however. We're doing this on a shoe-string budget with a LOT of intern labor (God love them) and it has many, many advantages.

But it's a job of work. That's for sure.

I will also check if there is a "time out" function or if you leave a window open and come back to after some time.

Will there be any way to vote for it in stages? Like, say, if someone has time to rate 50 movies now, and 50 movies tomorrow, and 50 movies a week from now, etc.? Or does it all have to be done in one go?

#4 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,427 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:27 AM

Well done! No more Mike Leigh skullduggery.

#5 Christian

Christian

• 10,710 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 10:30 AM

I'm uncomfortable with the "never seen it" option. I mean, what will become of certain longtime contributors/moderators who have to fess up to never having seen numerous titles? I'm sweatin' this one out. ;)

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,062 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:45 PM

Bring it on!

#7 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:47 PM

Folks:

Let me ask you this.

If we can turn off the rule that currently says you have to vote on all 350 films, should we do that?

In other words, should we allow people to vote on less than the full slate?

Would that be preferable because some people are just going to get pissed at having to make that many votes?

Thing is, if we stick with the current settings it really means that every film is getting an equal number of votes.

#8 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:12 PM

Isn't there a way to just have the radio button/pull-down menu/whatever you're using default to "Haven't Seen It" for each film, rather than initializing as blank? That would seem to me to solve much.

fd hjfnsdrgndg

M. Dale Prins and E.E. Prins

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 06 February 2010 - 02:15 PM.

#9 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,062 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 02:26 PM

That sounds like a good idea, Dale. That way folks don't have to register a vote on each title -- any title they fail to rate will just count as a "haven't seen" automatically. That might save time and effort.

Would folks have the option of "revising" their vote if they change their minds or see another movie before the deadline? Or you really only get one shot at this?

#10 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,849 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 06:54 PM

I don't know what survey system you're using, but some allow you to save & return.

Re: Overstreet's question as to whether folks would have an option of revising their votes: my view is, just go with your gut & that's it, sort of like the SAT ;) --only with even less impact on the future. Seriously, the world will not end if someone gives Gosford Park or Lorna's Silence a 4 instead of a 3 (or vice versa). If this thing works at all this year, vote differently next time.

#11 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 03:04 PM

...Seriously, the world will not end if someone gives Gosford Park or Lorna's Silence a 4 instead of a 3 (or vice versa).

While I agree with you about Gosford Park I heavily disagree about Lorna's Silence, and that is only the tip of the iceberg. Seriously, the world might end.

#12 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 04:40 PM

VOTE NOW!

Thank you for all your nominations! The Polls are open and will be open until midnight on Sunday February 21st. Votes will be tallied and the final list will be posted on February 25th.

To make sure your vote counts towards this list, follow http://www.keysurvey...4/1333/?LQID=1& to our 2010 Arts and Faith Top 100 Voting Poll. You can only vote once.

How it works:

Every film must be rated 1-5 (1 being the lowest score, 5 being the highest). For those films that you have not seen, vote "Not Seen." You do not have to cast a vote for every film.

We have created an algorithm which balances the ratings of the film against the individual member weights which are calculated as follows:

· Members who have posted up to 500 posts will receive a weight of 1

· Members who have posted between 500-1000 posts will receive a weight of 2

· Members who have posted between 1000-2000 posts will receive a weight of 3

· Members who have posted between 2000-3000 will receive a weight of 4

· Members who have posted over 3000 posts will receive a weight of 5

Please Note: You will be asked your Arts and Faith Display Name and email address. Please fill these out; this is will let us know that you have voted and how to calculate weight.

It doesn't matter if you're a cinephile or a now-and-then movie-goer - we want YOUR vote.

Other questions:
1) You cannot save and return. You must vote all in one sitting.
2) If you wish to change your vote or if you made a mistake, PM Image Journal.

#13 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 05:53 PM

· Members who have posted over 3000 posts will receive a weight of 5

Please Note: You will be asked your Arts and Faith Display Name and email address. Please fill these out; this is will let us know that you have voted and how to calculate weight.

Thank goodness I know PTC's e-mail address. I mean, uh, never mind, nothing to see here...

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 08 February 2010 - 05:53 PM.

#14 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 06:06 PM

Thank goodness I know PTC's e-mail address. I mean, uh, never mind, nothing to see here...

Dale

Don't worry, we know all your IP addresses.

#15 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 08 February 2010 - 08:57 PM

What is **************************, i.e. the first movie on the list? I give the film 26 stars.

Dale

#16 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 12:14 PM

Ha ha, it was a duplicate. I added in the word Duplicate.

#17 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,062 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 01:33 PM

I object to the line "Let's go to the mattresses" in the instructions. I think it will give people the wrong idea about us.

#18 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,062 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 04:02 PM

I was kidding.

#19 Stephen Lamb

Stephen Lamb

• 312 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 06:49 PM

VOTE NOW!

Thank you for all your nominations! The Polls are open and will be open until midnight on Sunday February 21st. Votes will be tallied and the final list will be posted on February 25th.

To make sure your vote counts towards this list, follow http://www.keysurvey...4/1333/?LQID=1& to our 2010 Arts and Faith Top 100 Voting Poll. You can only vote once.

How it works:

Every film must be rated 1-5 (1 being the lowest score, 5 being the highest). For those films that you have not seen, vote "Not Seen." You do not have to cast a vote for every film.

Instructions at the top of the page currently say:

• You must vote for each film on the list

Which one do we follow?

#20 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 09 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

We're changing the wording of the instructions to reflect that you no longer have to vote for every film.

We happen to believe it's still helpful to cast the "Haven't Seen It" vote but we wanted to avoid some of you feeling frustrated at having to ensure that every single item was checked.

If you receive a Thank You message it means your votes have successfully been recorded.

Instructions at the top of the page currently say:

• You must vote for each film on the list

Which one do we follow?