Pina and other 3D films by Wim Wenders

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#21 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,483 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:58 PM

It's going to play at the Cinerama in Seattle, and Wim Wenders will be there for a Q&A.

I'm already wondering what it would take to get to meet him for coffee and thank him in person.

#22 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,983 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:26 PM

It's going to play at the Cinerama in Seattle, and Wim Wenders will be there for a Q&A.

I'm already wondering what it would take to get to meet him for coffee and thank him in person.

Well. You do know a guy who recently E-mailed him a link to your review of his film. ;)

Edit: Hope that wasn't inappropriate.

Edited by Attica, 10 February 2012 - 06:29 PM.

#23 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,483 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

:)

#24 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,171 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 04:34 PM

Attica wrote:
: Pina's opening in theatres across Canada this weekend.

Eh? It's been playing in Vancouver for a few weeks already.

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 11 February 2012 - 04:35 PM.

#25 Attica

Attica

• 1,983 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:27 PM

Attica wrote:
: Pina's opening in theatres across Canada this weekend.

Eh? It's been playing in Vancouver for a few weeks already.

Interesting. Maybe it's a different chain, or is the venue a smaller theatre (like a cinematheque)?

The Empire theatres site says this.

Release Date: Feb 10 2012
Running Time: 1hr 46min
Genre: Documentary

I suppose it could have opened in Winnipeg a bit late, waiting for another movie to have finished it's run.

Edit:

Nope. I just checked... it opened at the Empire theatres in Vancouver yesterday as well.

Edited by Attica, 11 February 2012 - 06:47 PM.

#26 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:58 PM

Fairly random question:

Does it bother anyone else that this is being labelled (or dare I say pigeonholed) as a documentary?

I know there are documentary elements, but as far as I can tell (it hasn't come here yet, so I haven't seen it yet) it's primarily a dance (or ballet, if you prefer) film, not a documentary.

#27 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,544 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

I don't know what else you would categorize PINA as if you didn't categorize it as a documentary, though I agree the label could be a bit misleading depending on what you consider that label to signify.

#28 Attica

Attica

• 1,983 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:25 AM

Was really wanting to see this tonight but my better half wanted to go watch THE VOW in a theatre full of giggling and sighing teenage girls. Maybe tomorrow.

Somehow I suspect that Pina will largely draw a bit different type of crowd. :D

#29 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 03:10 AM

I don't know what else you would categorize PINA as if you didn't categorize it as a documentary, though I agree the label could be a bit misleading depending on what you consider that label to signify.

You don't talk about going to see a documentary when you go see an opera in the theater. You wouldn't call Bergman's The Magic Flute a documentary, and you wouldn't call a theatrical version of Rite of Spring (a portion of which is included in Pina) a documentary, so calling Pina one really doesn't make sense in that light (I'll allow that the film has documentary elements in a way The Magic Flute does, but the bigger point still holds).

What would I categorize Pina as? A film. That's plain and simple enough.

Yes, I may be nitpicking, and no it may not be that important. At the same time, while Pina is a documentary to the extent that it is about Pina (i.e. documenting her life, spirit, etc.), since it's primarily 'theatrical modern dance' I wonder if people who would otherwise be interested won't because it's being called a documentary, or if some people are going to go in with the wrong expectation of what the film should be (i.e. go in expecting a typical narrative documentary).

Edited by Timothy Zila, 12 February 2012 - 03:15 AM.

#30 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,544 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 08:54 AM

I think the documentary aspects are too strong for them not to call it a documentary. Though, you're right, it's also a dance film. So it's really a hybrid.

#31 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,712 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:41 AM

Most assuredly a documentary in that it is in large part a documenting of Bausch's work and tribute to her career.

#32 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,483 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

Documentary.

#33 Christian

Christian

• 11,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:01 PM

This opened over the weekend at a multiplex not too far from my house! Now I have to figure out how to prioritize the 3D "Pina," "A Separation," knowing that my chances of getting to either are below 50%. I'm thinking "Pina" has to come before "A Separation," if only so I can see it in 3D.

#34 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,712 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:07 PM

This opened over the weekend at a multiplex not too far from my house! Now I have to figure out how to prioritize the 3D "Pina," "A Separation," knowing that my chances of getting to either are below 50%. I'm thinking "Pina" has to come before "A Separation," if only so I can see it in 3D.

If your chance of getting to either is < 50%, you don't need to prioritize the options, you need to reprioritize life so you can do both.

#35 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,171 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 12:15 PM

Attica wrote:
: Interesting. Maybe it's a different chain, or is the venue a smaller theatre (like a cinematheque)?

The Park Theatre is part of the Festival Cinemas chain, which is a local indie-leaning chain which was, for a while at least, owned by one of the national chains.

: Nope. I just checked... it opened at the Empire theatres in Vancouver yesterday as well.

Eh? I don't see any information to that effect on the Empire website. In fact, it tells me that the three remaining Empire theatres in the Vancouver area (the Guildford, the Granville and the Esplanade) DON'T have any showtimes today.

Overstreet wrote:
: In a post-screening interview, Wenders recalled a friend saying, “Watching these dancers is like watching the disciples turn into apostles.”

Interesting, in light of the critique that I and others have made (e.g. here) about the film not giving us any context for Pina's work (or, indeed, see gigi's comment here about the dancers' resolutely positive take on what it was like to work with Pina). I have a feeling there is a point that one could make here about the parallels, but it's early in the morning and I've got to take my family to church and I haven't got time to think of one yet.

Timothy Zila wrote:
: I know there are documentary elements, but as far as I can tell (it hasn't come here yet, so I haven't seen it yet) it's primarily a dance (or ballet, if you prefer) film, not a documentary.

I think there are enough documentary elements to classify it as a documentary, even if (as per gigi's comments, for example) the documentary elements don't run very deep.

#36 Christian

Christian

• 11,039 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:33 PM

If your chance of getting to either is < 50%, you don't need to prioritize the options, you need to reprioritize life so you can do both.

This is a nice sentiment, but I'm not sure I HAVE TO see "A Separation" at the theater, as eager as I am to get to it. "Pina" seems more theater-worthy, even to this 3D-doesn't-quite-work-with-my-eyes guy.

And then there's the money question, as I'm told, once again, "Don't spend ANY money until you get paid again."

Life is like that for me.

#37 Attica

Attica

• 1,983 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:41 PM

Eh? I don't see any information to that effect on the Empire website. In fact, it tells me that the three remaining Empire theatres in the Vancouver area (the Guildford, the Granville and the Esplanade) DON'T have any showtimes today.

Yeah. I checked again and your right. I'm thinking maybe what I did the first time was to click on the change theatre button and then quickly glance at the release date without reading further.

#38 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,420 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 12:20 AM

I loved the film. The 3D puts the viewer right in the middle of the art. I am not familiar with much modern dance, but this film opened the possibilities of the art form in a way I hadn't considered before. I liked how many of the dances were staged in natural and urban environments. And the use of natural (dirt, water), and manmade (chairs) elements in some of the pieces were quite striking as well.

I have to admit, that tram gliding above the river was one of my favorite parts of the film. I want to have one of those where I live.

Edited by Crow, 14 February 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#39 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 14 February 2012 - 07:26 PM

This is coming to ABQ this weekend and I'm extremely excited to see it.

Technical question: Have those who already seen it seen it in Real3D? According to local listings, it's just digital 3D. This is the first film I'll see that hasn't been associated with the Real3D brand. Is there a difference? Better? Worse?

I know Wender's is using 3D in a very distinctive, innovative way, and I expect it to be top notch, but I'm just curious.

#40 Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

Wayfaring Chestertonian Genre Slut

• 370 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 02:24 AM

This is coming to ABQ this weekend and I'm extremely excited to see it.

Technical question: Have those who already seen it seen it in Real3D? According to local listings, it's just digital 3D. This is the first film I'll see that hasn't been associated with the Real3D brand. Is there a difference? Better? Worse?

I know Wender's is using 3D in a very distinctive, innovative way, and I expect it to be top notch, but I'm just curious.

I've seen it twice in Dolby 3D, and it looked perfect. For the most part though, RealD theaters simply look better for domestic theatrical projection. Here's a nice link about 3D projection technology: http://tinyurl.com/7rurtqa