Sherlock

Sherlock Holmes Mark Gatiss Steven Moffat

• Please log in to reply
120 replies to this topic

#81 Gina

Gina

• 369 posts

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:59 PM

Just wanted to share a new BreakPoint feature article about "A Scandal in Belgravia." There's plenty of room for debate over Kaitlyn's interpretation of the show's relationships (there's a bit of a debate about it on my Facebook page, in fact), but I was very impressed by her writing and the depth of her analysis -- especially since she's only 24 and this is, I think, her first published non-fiction article.

#82 Joel

Joel

• 770 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:33 PM

I thought that was a really insightful piece. Good on her!

#83 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,936 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:42 AM

Seconded. The contrasts might be drawn a tad too sharply (for instance, Sherlock is definitely more attuned to John's needs than he lets on, but he's also incredibly manipulative, as in the Baskervilles episode--so he's not above exploiting his friends for their use-value if need be), but I think this interest in the complexity of human relationships is one of the things that sets Sherlock apart.

#84 Macsherlock

Macsherlock

• 2 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:43 AM

Yes, I agree. It is quite good and swiftly to the point. Having watched the episode several times (well all six actually) it plays out. I wonder what her thoughts are on Sherlock and Molly's relationship? In my view Molly is the most Christ-like in that she counts herself as nothing yet speaks her mind continually. In his greatest moment of crisis ("The Reichenbach Fall"), it is Molly that Sherlock turns to in order to save him from death and to make it possible later for him to "come back from the dead". We do not know how it was done, for we see Sherlock dead (or are supposed to) yet we know he is not and Molly is the key.

It's the best series to come along in a great while for crisp writing. I think Mark Gatiss (who plays Mycroft) is a genius.

#85 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

It's the best series to come along in a great while for crisp writing. I think Mark Gatiss (who plays Mycroft) is a genius.

I've been a fan of Gatiss for awhile. Also besides his contributions to Dr. Who, his work with The League of Gentleman was been exceptional. If you're unfamiliar with League of Gentleman, think Monty Python by way of Twin Peaks.

#86 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,036 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:59 PM

I've been a fan of Gatiss for awhile. Also besides his contributions to Dr. Who, his work with The League of Gentleman was been exceptional. If you're unfamiliar with League of Gentleman, think Monty Python by way of Twin Peaks.

With a bit of Hammer horror thrown in for good measure.

#87 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:06 PM

With a bit of Hammer horror thrown in for good measure.

Yes! I was trying to come up with a 3rd reference point when I posted that. That's a good one.

#88 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,936 posts

Posted 24 August 2012 - 11:10 AM

Yesterday, Moffat promised to give three words, akin to last year, that would tease the series. Now, according to the Tumblr Sherlockology, those three words have been revealed: Rat, Wedding, Bow

My guesses would be:
the Giant Rat of Sumatra (a case for which the world is not yet prepared)
His Last Bow

Bit uncertain about "Wedding"; it could refer to Watson's wedding to Mary Morstan--and so indicate a riff on The Sign of Four or it could refer to something else--for instance, The Noble Bachelor My money's on the former, though.

#89 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,319 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

Season 3 won't air until late 2013 or early 2014.

All those Hobbit movies had better be worth it now.

#90 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,992 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 10:57 AM

Yeah, so that's pretty devastating right there. At a certain point, don't you lose your audience?

#91 Christian

Christian

• 10,965 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I don't know. Hasn't Mad Men weathered some long waits between seasons?

#92 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,319 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

There was a gap between the end of season 4 and the start of 5 from October 2010 to March 2012.

They also produce more than 3 episodes in a season, though.

#93 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,961 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

There was a gap between the end of season 4 and the start of 5 from October 2010 to March 2012.

They also produce more than 3 episodes in a season, though.

True, but episodes aren't an hour and half long.

#94 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

British audiences aren't as fickle as American audiences. ;) Aren't there plenty of shows in the UK that only air brief seasons at intervals of like two years? I'm thinking of The Vicar of Dibley, which only aired 24 episodes in 12 years, but I'm sure there are others.

Sherlock may lose some US viewers, which admittedly make up a large portion, but I'll wager the Brits are quite used to hiatuses like this.

Don't we have some Brits here at A&F? Where's Matt? Haha.

#95 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,016 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:36 PM

Fawlty Towers produced six half-hour episodes in 1975 and another six in 1979 -- a gap of four years.

#96 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,319 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:04 AM

Title of S3E1 has been revealed: "The Empty Hearse."

#97 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,936 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 08:53 AM

Nice.

#98 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,146 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 06:35 PM

PBS Masterpiece on Jan. 19

#99 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,936 posts

Posted 24 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

The first episode is called “The Empty Hearse” and solves the mystery of Sherlock’s death. The second episode is titled “The Sign of Three” [...] The third episode is “The Last Vow” and airs Feb. 2..

These titles are puntastic, though it should be pointed out that The Sign of Three was already taken.

Eagerly awaiting these. And the fourth series--which is, from what I can gather, virtually certain (though beyond that is anyone's guess).

#100 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,146 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 03:24 AM

In which, Cumberbatch explains what happened at the end of "The Reichenbach Fall":

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Sherlock Holmes, Mark Gatiss, Steven Moffat