• Please log in to reply
250 replies to this topic

#41 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:47 PM

Five biggest gains (excluding new films to the list):
87 to 28: Bicycle Thief, The (“Ladri di biciclette”)
76 to 17: Apu Trilogy (Pather Panchali, Aparajito, Apu Sansar)
73 to 23: My Night at Maud's ("Ma nuit chez Maud")
62 to 16: Mirror, The ("Zerkalo")
85 to 41: Summer / The Green Ray ("Le Rayon vert")

Five biggest drops (excluding films completely off the list):
88 to 19: Jesus of Montreal ("Jesus De Montreal")
83 to 30: Yi Yi: A One and a Two ("Yi Yi")
86 to 35: Sacrifice, The ("Offret-Sacrificatio")
82 to 33: Rosetta
73 to 26: Tender Mercies

Complete list of films that did not change positions:
1 to 1: Ordet

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 23 February 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#42 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,684 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 06:58 PM

Of the ones that dropped off, the ones I miss most are: 13 Conversations about One Thing, Romero, and Les Miz.

#43 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:19 PM

The Miracle Maker was kicked off? I didn't like it at #3, but kicked off?!

I'd have been happy if it could've stayed in the Top 20.

And Stevie is killing me.

I can't see how those two can get low scores. I can see "Haven't Seen It," but that wasn't supposed to figure in outside of percentage-wise, right?

#44 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,825 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:20 PM

M. Dale Prins, you are a god.

Oh, wait, I take that back. I don't want you to be eaten from the inside by worms. (Obscure Acts 12 reference.)

: Complete list of films that did not change positions:
: 1 to 1: Ordet

I can see that THIS is going to be our Citizen Kane, most likely.

FWIW, I probably won't bother counting the number of films on this list that I haven't seen, because I can't exactly REMEMBER how many of these films I might have seen. There once was a time when I went to the local cinematheques quite frequently, taking in entire career-spanning retrospectives in a matter of weeks and all that stuff -- but lately, not so much. Whenever I came across a film on the survey that I was unsure about, I simply tagged it as "never seen", but that doesn't mean I actually never saw it; still, if I obviously didn't remember them well enough to assign them any star ratings, I might as well have never seen them, as far as the voting was concerned, so that seemed like the best way to go.

#45 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:21 PM

Very cool to see Frisbee on the list, btw.

#46 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,265 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:22 PM

I'm sad to see Secrets & Lies, A Taste of Cherry, and Fearless go.

Has The Double Life of Veronique ever made one of our top 100 lists? The puppet maker scene from that has to be one of my five favorite scenes ever.

#47 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:24 PM

Whenever I came across a film on the survey that I was unsure about, I simply tagged it as "never seen", but that doesn't mean I actually never saw it; still, if I obviously didn't remember them well enough to assign them any star ratings, I might as well have never seen them, as far as the voting was concerned, so that seemed like the best way to go.

Me, too.

Has The Double Life of Veronique ever made one of our top 100 lists? The puppet maker scene from that has to be one of my five favorite scenes ever.

Don't think so.

#48 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,505 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:45 PM

Kubrick's complete absence from the list disappoints me (I was really pulling for A CLOCKWORK ORANGE, even though I figured 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY was a more likely appearance), but, overall, it's a fantastic list. It has real personality, and will bring attention to some less often-considered films. The only film's placement I strongly resent is IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE.

No Hitchcock whatsoever.

I nominated VERTIGO, so shame to the rest of the A&F community for not voting in its favor.

Interesting. No Lord of the Rings.

Can't say I'm sad about that one.

Edited by Ryan H., 23 February 2010 - 08:07 PM.

#49 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,305 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 07:59 PM

Kubrick's complete absence from the list

Oh... ouch.

#50 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,063 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:14 PM

I'm sensing a lot of energy around next year's list. :)

Oh... ouch.

2001: A Space Odyssey was nominated.

#51 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,505 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:16 PM

Oh... ouch.

As was A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and BARRY LYNDON. I also believe PATHS OF GLORY was nominated, though I'm not sure about that one.

Edited by Ryan H., 23 February 2010 - 08:16 PM.

#52 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:27 PM

I forget... how did we end up without any tie votes? Was there a tie-breaking mechanism?

The formula we used gave us numbers with 5-6 decimal points, so there were actually no ties.

I can't see how those two can get low scores. I can see "Haven't Seen It," but that wasn't supposed to figure in outside of percentage-wise, right?

Films that received more votes were weighted more heavily than the others, but this was offset by the fact that high-level posters had more weight than other voters as well.

So, there are probably a few situations where films received a high average rating but not very many voters, and even the heavy weighting of the top posters couldn't bring them up to the top 100.

P.S. Ha ha, Ordet is the only one that didn't move! I think I remember concern that it would be kicked off entirely...I'm glad that didn't happen.

#53 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:34 PM

Per SDG, and while the iron is hot, nominate for next year's list.

M. Dale Prins, you are a god.

Yes, that or I spent my first six years out of college in a position that involved a great deal of manipulating databases. One or the other.

I hope to get the other A&F lists merged into my '08/'10 spreadsheet to do even more data mining. Maybe in the next couple days.

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 23 February 2010 - 08:35 PM.

#54 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 08:36 PM

P.S. Ha ha, Ordet is the only one that didn't move! I think I remember concern that it would be kicked off entirely...I'm glad that didn't happen.

I really am happy to see it stay on top, but quite honestly I love the entire Top 20 more than ever before. It will take time for me to really get used to it, but my immediate reaction is: No wankers.

Oh - and re: Ordet. Us crazies who believe that the power of God goes to the crazies are still the ones which love Ordet the most.

#55 SDG

SDG

• 9,063 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:07 PM

As was A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and BARRY LYNDON. I also believe PATHS OF GLORY was nominated, though I'm not sure about that one.

Yes, I didn't finish my thought. I was going to say that 2001: A Space Odyssey had my vote. But then I was interrupted.

Edited by SDG, 23 February 2010 - 09:08 PM.

#56 Christian

Christian

• 10,901 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:20 PM

82 to 33: Rosetta

Was this not our number 1 film the first or second time we did the Top 100? I think its plummeting ranking, more than anything else, raises an eyebrow about how the voting, or the voters, or the weighting or voting system, has changed.

EDIT: To clarify, I'm OK with the current rating, just concerned that it could fall so far, so fast (relatively speaking).

Edited by Christian, 23 February 2010 - 09:24 PM.

#57 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,825 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 09:30 PM

M. Dale Prins wrote:
: I hope to get the other A&F lists merged into my '08/'10 spreadsheet to do even more data mining. Maybe in the next couple days.

Ah yes, I was going to ask about those other lists -- see which films have gone up, up, up or down, down, down or maybe up, down, up and down, up, down -- but I forgot. Until now.

#58 SDG

SDG

• 9,063 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:28 PM

M. Dale Prins wrote:
: I hope to get the other A&F lists merged into my '08/'10 spreadsheet to do even more data mining. Maybe in the next couple days.

Ah yes, I was going to ask about those other lists -- see which films have gone up, up, up or down, down, down or maybe up, down, up and down, up, down -- but I forgot. Until now.

Tomorrow would be good. Or Friday morning. Because I have a Friday blog post due at NCRegister.com.

#59 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 10:49 PM

All right, all right. I'll see what I can do this evening, assuming E.E. behaves herself.

Dale

#60 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

• 1,420 posts

Posted 23 February 2010 - 11:01 PM

Wait, wait. So how many lists are there? I have the 2004 list, 2005 list, and what calls itself the 2008/2009 list (which is what I'm comparing to above). But there also seems to be a 2006 list, and that list seems to be identical to the 2008/2009 list. So was there actually a 2008/2009 list, or was 2006 the last list that we had?

Dale

Edited by M. Dale Prins, 23 February 2010 - 11:01 PM.