#1 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:10 AM

The website is live:

http://artsandfaith.com/t100/

Please use this thread for any corrections, emendations, and suggestions for improvement for the Top 100 website you may have.

With a site this ambitious we're sure that there will be

The one issue we have already decided on: films will be listed by their English titles first, unless the foreign title is so common that it is actually better known (e.g., Ikiru).

Thanks for your help!

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,470 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:25 AM

Who do we speak to about volunteering for blurb duty?

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,470 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:37 AM

Greg Wolfe wrote:
: The one issue we have already decided on: films will be listed by their English titles first, unless the foreign title is so common that it is actually better known (e.g., Ikiru).

Actually, right now To Live is listed ahead of (Ikiru). But I guess that's one of the things that might get edited soon, along with some of the links. :)

FWIW, I also just noticed that, whereas most of the Top Ten films have hyperlinks under the English title but not under the parenthetical foreign title, By Chance Balthasar (Au Hasard Balthasar) has the hyperlink running across both of the titles.

#4 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 01:51 AM

Who do we speak to about volunteering for blurb duty?

That would be me. Via PM.

Thx.

Greg Wolfe wrote:
: The one issue we have already decided on: films will be listed by their English titles first, unless the foreign title is so common that it is actually better known (e.g., Ikiru).

Actually, right now To Live is listed ahead of (Ikiru). But I guess that's one of the things that might get edited soon, along with some of the links. :)

FWIW, I also just noticed that, whereas most of the Top Ten films have hyperlinks under the English title but not under the parenthetical foreign title, By Chance Balthasar (Au Hasard Balthasar) has the hyperlink running across both of the titles.

Sorry -- that's what happens when two people work on different versions of the same page. Corrections made.

#5 M. Dale Prins

M. Dale Prins

Stop! Do a drum solo instead!

• 1,420 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:14 AM

First: Pretty pretty pretty. I like.

Second: I think it's extremely noncontroversial to say that Au Revoir, Les Enfants should be listed as the primary title rather than Goodbye to the Children. Ditto with Au Hasard Balthazar over By Chance, Balthazar.

Nema-ye Nazdik is listed as an alternate title for both Close-Up and Rashômon; it's only true for the former.

Toyko Story has an odd link, both formatwise and where it links to (nowhere).

Dale

#6 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:24 AM

Good catches. Changes made.

First: Pretty pretty pretty. I like.

Second: I think it's extremely noncontroversial to say that Au Revoir, Les Enfants should be listed as the primary title rather than Goodbye to the Children. Ditto with Au Hasard Balthazar over By Chance, Balthazar.

Nema-ye Nazdik is listed as an alternate title for both Close-Up and Rashômon; it's only true for the former.

Toyko Story has an odd link, both formatwise and where it links to (nowhere).

Dale

#7 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:10 AM

To members, voters, Greg & everyone at Image: Great job!

I have many thoughts, but the immediate that springs to mind: there are so many "great film" lists that are just lists - what we have is also a tool. A springboard for discussion and research. It's wonderful. Let's get the rest of the blurbs filled in!

Edited by Darryl A. Armstrong, 01 March 2010 - 04:11 AM.

#8 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

• 1,504 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:55 AM

The one thing I'd suggest: direct links on that page to our previous lists.

#9 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

• 1,504 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:33 AM

Ordet's clip is subtitled in Spanish. Are we going that far in foreign catering? :P

#10 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,217 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:45 AM

Something else - could it be helpful to include links to board discussions of films that we have discussed?

#11 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,446 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 08:51 AM

There is a link to board discussion on the left hand side beneath the video clip for each entry.

#12 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,991 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:06 AM

Second: I think it's extremely noncontroversial to say that Au Revoir, Les Enfants should be listed as the primary title rather than Goodbye to the Children.

Agreed.

Ditto with Au Hasard Balthazar over By Chance, Balthazar.

Double helping of agreed. I never even heard of By Chance, Balthazar until now.

#13 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 356 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

Very nice work. I quite like the movie poster images, especially the older ones like Joan of Arc and Sunrise.

I think Dersu Uzala (#69) is the much more common spelling than "Derzu," at least according to IMDb and my knowledgeable yet--let's face it--indefatigably tedious friend Mr. Google.

Edited by du Garbandier, 01 March 2010 - 10:42 AM.

#14 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,720 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:10 AM

On older versions of IE, there's a huge whitespace where the film listing should be. If you scroll down, you find the info. I don't think this is much of an issue since most normal people have upgrade by now, but thought I'd through it out there.

#15 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,189 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:25 AM

I'd say Ordet rather than "The Word" too. Particularly as internet searches give you all sorts for "The Word", but Ordet tends to be about the film, I think more and more people are calling it by it's Danish title. In fact I've rarely known anyone refer to it in English.

Matt

#16 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,446 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 10:36 AM

Along with what has been mentioned:

Just "Beau travail" is standard

#17 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,103 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:29 AM

Woo hoo!!

Great work, Image team!

#18 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,189 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:30 PM

FWIW there used to be a link to the top 100 on the site header somewhere, probably next to where it says "chat". Might be worth doing that again to make it more accessible once the discussion around it has died away.

Matt

#19 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 356 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 11:46 PM

I notice that the Early Summer page's A&F discussion link goes to the Ordet discussion thread. There seems to be no dedicated Early Summer thread; here's a link to the general Ozu thread.

#20 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,459 posts

Posted 02 March 2010 - 09:44 PM

Film #9 Early Summer has a grammar error in the writeup. It is the first sentence in the second paragraph it has an extra "things." It should probably read, "Ozu is fascinated with all the things that we lose as time progresses through generations, war, and the disorienting march of modernization."

Edited by Persona, 02 March 2010 - 09:45 PM.