Justified

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 29 May 2010 - 03:53 PM

My thoughts during the scene warning the meth lab guys was that Boyd probably sees himself as an avenging angel. I'm tempted to think that he means what he says to some extent, but is taking the Lord's judgement into his own hands.

#22 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 06:10 PM

My thoughts during the scene warning the meth lab guys was that Boyd probably sees himself as an avenging angel. I'm tempted to think that he means what he says to some extent, but is taking the Lord's judgement into his own hands.

After the end of this week's episode, I think you are right. Trying to accomplish it without bloodshed, thought, might be a greater issue now.

Lively service for a UMC church.

#23 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 07 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

Lively service for a UMC church.

I didn't see a church name. However, we went to Twin City Baptist Church in Winston-Salem, NC when I was young. After our pastor left, we had some awful strange candidates preach of a Sunday morning. Dad being out of town, the guy picking us up for church one day predicted "some real preaching today!". To my 10 year old eyes and ears, the guy shouted at us for 40 minutes. That's all, just shouting everything he said. There were others that seemed to have odd or eccentric homiletical styles. Ole' Boyd appears to have watched some TBN while in prison.

#24 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,676 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 07:29 AM

:shock:

"Bulletville"! I can't think of a more aptly titled episode. I am almost sorry that this got picked up for another season... almost. Last nights season finale could have gone down as one of the greatest series finales of all time. Boyd's final line to Raylan, and Raylan's little pantomime were brilliant. Once this episode really got going - around the time Bo and his men enter Boyd's camp - it never lets up, and doesn't fail to continually surprise. I hope this series is on DVD by September, 'cause it would be my number one birthday request.

#25 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:23 AM

But it doesn't have to end. Miami will only want him more. As to Boyd, I've been conflicted about him all season. Now I think he's one of the most complex characters I've encountered on TV. The season is nicely bracketted by the ties Raylan and Boyd have with each other.

#26 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 08:28 AM

Ah, nuts. I didn't know this was on last night.

#27 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 09:10 AM

Brilliant. Having completed an enormous character arc with Boyd, the writers' challenge for next season will be to come up with another one that's just as compelling. Raylan has plenty of unfinished business to occupy next season; Boyd, on the other hand, is on the brink of a whole new chapter in his life.

#28 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 09 June 2010 - 03:48 PM

Ah, nuts. I didn't know this was on last night.

Does your signal offer On Demand for FX? We just had it miraculously added towards the end of this season. I'm not completely sure, but I believe that FX will repeat late Thursday night.

#29 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,676 posts

Posted 10 June 2010 - 01:05 AM

Thinking about it more today, what I really liked best about the season finale is that it kept true to the spirit of a lot of Elmore Leonard's novels. So many of them end on a note that there is more story that is going to occur after the last page, but the necessary parts of the current story are concluded, and you don't feel gypped. That's a difficult trick to pull off, but Leonard makes it seem effortless. The end of Out of Sight comes to mind, when Jack Foley ends up seated next to Hejira Henry, who just happens to be an expert at escaping custody - the main story for Out of Sight is satisfactorily concluded, but the reader is left with the feeling that the continuing story of Jack Foley is just beginning.

Same could be said of Justified. Last nights episode completed a terrific story, while leaving room for more to be told. It was refreshing that it didn't conclude on a cliffhanger note. But, had last nights episode been the final episode, the series would have felt complete, IMHO.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 10 June 2010 - 01:07 AM.

#30 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,676 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:10 AM

One Emmy nomination.... Outstanding Original Main Title
Theme Music

#31 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,676 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 07:35 AM

The gift I've been waiting for on DVD will finally arrive just in time for... Presidents Day! Justified Season 1 - available January 25th.

#32 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,676 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 11:30 PM

Season 2 premieres on February 9th!

#33 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,676 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 11:10 PM

Damn... meant to bump this earlier to remind folks of tonight's 2nd season premiere.

TONIGHT ON FX. 10PM! (which means I failed to alert East coast viewers)

#34 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for bumping this. If you hadn't, I would have missed Jeremy Davies total creepiness.

And it appears that this Season 2 opener was co-written by Elmore Leonard. None of the Season 1 episodes were written by him. The bear trap scene and the little surprise about the identity of the local sheriff struck me as pure Leonard.

#35 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,676 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:51 AM

I enjoyed this. Tied up some though not all loose ends from last season in a pretty satisfying way, and was a good introduction to what's coming up. The dinner table scene with Margo Martindale, Chris Mulkey (totally unrecognizable), and Davies was terrific. So, did mom use the bear trap on Davies sometime in the past?

#36 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 09:53 AM

I enjoyed this. Tied up some though not all loose ends from last season in a pretty satisfying way, and was a good introduction to what's coming up. The dinner table scene with Margo Martindale, Chris Mulkey (totally unrecognizable), and Davies was terrific. So, did mom use the bear trap on Davies sometime in the past?

Ah, that just clicked. Good catch.

#37 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:40 AM

Well last night we caught a good whiff of this season's story arc, and it can be summed up in two words: Winter's Bone

#38 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:59 AM

...did mom use the bear trap on Davies sometime in the past?

Ah, that just clicked.

OWWW!

/more like snapped?
//is not watching this show

#39 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,865 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:29 AM

Well last night we caught a good whiff of this season's story arc, and it can be summed up in two words: Winter's Bone

Yes, the feisty daughter character did remind me of Ree. We'll see.

#40 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,676 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:16 AM

Good episode. I don't know why it caught me off guard, but Eva's appearance did just that. Could be an interesting development.