Justified

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 01:01 PM

My sense yet again is that this show is deceptively short. I swear that it feels almost like a hald hour show by the way it crams so much into a broadcast hour.

#42 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,627 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:09 PM

So we got a little bit of a hint as to some of the past history between Raylen (or maybe the Givens' in general) and the Bennettes, when Mags in a roundabout way blames Raylen for Dickie Bennette's limp (there goes my bear trap theory... maybe).

Rich, I agree that they seem to pack quite a bit into a one hour show. Perhaps almost too much this season. Not that I'm really complaining, but this last episode seemed to really get the "single episode story line" out of the way as quickly as possible, while giving more time to the build up of some of the "season story lines" involving the Bennettes and Boyd Crowder (who really is the most fascinating character I've seen in a long time). Last year it seemed that there would be a "one-off" episode, followed by a "season arc" episode. I'm just hoping that they don't spread any of the stories too thin by trying to cram as much as possible into each episode.

Nice to see John "Red Rock West" Dahl in the directors chair for this last episode.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 05 March 2011 - 01:46 PM.

#43 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:58 AM

So we got a little bit of a hint as to some of the past history between Raylen (or maybe the Givens' in general) and the Bennettes, when Mags in a roundabout way blames Raylen for Dickie Bennette's limp (there goes my bear trap theory... maybe).

I hadn't seen the episode when you mentioned your theory, so when I saw the episode, I picked up on your theory right away. Mags' complaint struck me. They say that journalists write in such a way now, so as to tease high Google search rates. I don't know if there is a term for the sort of plot writing we are discussing here, but I've always enjoyed this sort of writing that both drives the immediate plot right along as well as prompting questions about backstory without making backstory a tangent, or distraction. Once again, Elmore Leonard is a master of this sort of thing. It often rubs off on his stories presented in other media.

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 05 March 2011 - 07:59 AM.

#44 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,627 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Already renewed for a third season!

::w00t::

#45 wmadjones

wmadjones

• 46 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 02:30 PM

Justified picked up a well-deserved Peabody this week! It's citation:

Justified (FX)
FX Productions and Sony Pictures Television
Part morality play, part character study, this engrossing modern-day Western drama sets
its showdowns in the wild, wild east of Appalachian Kentucky.

Some other interesting choices this year, as well. I would be interested to see the documentary, The Lord is Not On Trial Here Today, on the court case establishing the separation of church and state.

Full list of Peabodies.

#46 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:30 PM

So, last night's episode seems to explain the limp. Good story about that confrontation too.

#47 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:51 PM

I checked, and the library now has Season 1. I'm in the Holds queue.

Is this show now in its second season, or has it been on longer than that?

#48 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 335 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 09:04 PM

I actually just watched the premiere episode last night...to be far, I only watched half of it closely, but I'm not sure if I'll continue on with the series.

#49 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,627 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

I checked, and the library now has Season 1. I'm in the Holds queue.

Is this show now in its second season, or has it been on longer than that?

It's now about half way through season 2.

Last nights episode was terrific. Nice to get back to some drama after two weeks of fluffier material. I like the fact that Raylan is not an indestructible hero... he took a pretty good beating.

#50 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:09 PM

Last nights episode was terrific. Nice to get back to some drama after two weeks of fluffier material. I like the fact that Raylan is not an indestructible hero... he took a pretty good beating.

Yes. I love the relationship he has with his Dad's wife, heh. As to the beating, he seems to be 0 for 2 hand to hand for the series, but Wednesday's beating was by a guy with a cast on his hand. I'm impressed that Raylan was still conscious.

#51 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 03:18 PM

Yes on both counts. I was getting a bit nervous to see the show veering off into filler. The real genius of the first season is its lack of any embellishments beyond that main storyline, which is a pretty Leonard ethos. I hope they stick with that.

#52 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,627 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 10:10 PM

One more thing to add, Mags Bennette is getting to be nearly as interesting a character as Boyd Crowder. I think the coming episodes in which these two start going head to head may turn out to be something spectacular.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 01 April 2011 - 10:12 PM.

#53 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,627 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 08:00 PM

Season finale is tonight. One of the things I thought this season's storyline might have been building up to now doesn't appear likely to happen. I tried to rationalize some of the Winona story arcs as a build up to her character being killed off tonight but, unless Timothy Olyphant is a shrewder card player than I give him credit for, his interview today on Elvis Mitchell's The Treatment squashes that notion.

That interview can be heard here, if anyone is interested.

#54 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,472 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 08:42 AM

Hm. Ambivalent about this ending. My wish for the entire series is that it ends in true Leonard fashion with the hero taking the firearms instruction gig because his wife is worth it.

#55 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,627 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:26 AM

I agree with what you say about the ultimate finale of the entire series - Olyphant himself said much the same thing in his interview on The Treatment.

I was very pleased with last nights finale. Especially how...

Spoiler

This is such a great, complicated relationship. I can't wait to see what they do with it next season.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 05 May 2011 - 11:06 PM.

#56 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,627 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 09:19 AM

I watched the season finale again over the weekend, and liked it even more. Had a couple of thoughts and questions. This season could have been called Hillbilly King Lear.

Spoiler

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 10 May 2011 - 09:20 AM.

#57 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 04:48 PM

Ooh, I like the Hillbilly King Lear thing. Excellent. I'm going to be suspicious and also hedge on your last point about Winona. I'd say Art knows and won't be able to prove anything, so keep it for later. Nevertheless, you could be right.

Spoiler

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 12 May 2011 - 04:50 PM.

#58 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,627 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:58 PM

Just a reminder that Season 3 starts next Tuesday, Jan. 17th. Get those DVR's set!

#59 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,627 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 10:32 AM

Good start. I like seeing Neal McDunough brought in. More later.

#60 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,706 posts

Posted 02 February 2012 - 07:23 PM

Just watched the pilot. I am hooked.