Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:35 PM

Just watched the pilot. I am hooked.

Wait till you get to season two.

#62 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,566 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:15 PM

Anyone watching Season 3? We're three episodes in, and still being introduced to major new-comers, but I've enjoyed what I've seen so far. The one unfortunate thing is the fact that the Southern California locations are getting to be a bit too familiar to me this season. In the second episode, the shooting of the witness protection officer took place right outside of The Way Station, a fabulous little hole in the wall restaurant in Newhall that I walk to for breakfast a couple times a month.

#63 wmadjones

wmadjones

• 45 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

I think season 3 will be a great one. I like that even though Mags is gone, the hole left by her exit is being filled by competing interests - both local and imported. Raylan's going to have his hands full.

#64 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 05:42 PM

I'm seeing a pattern here. The background seems to be a crime of the season.

And yes, McDonnough is a great addition. Loved his cheesey smile last week as Raylan leaves. Heh, I've got my wife hooked again. I'd saved the entire Season Two for her. We finally saw it together the last weekend of January, her birthday weekend (that's how we celebrate it. the whole weekend). She's even caught up this season. Ready for tonight. Boyd is the great anti-hero of contemporary TV, Cable or network. I don't care.

But I want more Rachel. That's some partner. And more Art. He owned the second episode.

Edited by Rich Kennedy, 07 February 2012 - 05:49 PM.

#65 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 326 posts

Posted 08 February 2012 - 01:30 AM

I've returned to Justified after finishing Twin Peaks. I think I'm about four episodes in...just finished the one featuring Alan Ruck - definitely my favourite so far. Unfortunately, Netflix (Canada) only has the first 13 episodes.

#66 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,566 posts

Posted 23 February 2012 - 12:27 AM

Is it me, or is the body count WAAAAYYYYYYY up this season? I swear there have been more deaths in the first six episodes of season three, than there were total deaths all last season. Season one had a pretty high body count, but that seemed weighted more towards the final three episodes. So far, I think this season is averaging three killings an episode.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 23 February 2012 - 03:06 PM.

#67 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 02:24 PM

Is it me, or is the body count WAAAAYYYYYYY up this season? I swear there have been more deaths in the first six episodes of season three, than there were total deaths all last season. Season one had a pretty high body count, but that seemed weighted more towards the final three episodes. So far, I think this season is averaging three killings an episode.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Them corpses are pilin' up.

#68 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:08 PM

We've been getting a lot of Elmore Leonard press around here because he lives here. He's saying all the right things about this season, but I wonder what he really thinks. I just finished Riding the Rap last week. I was impressed at how slow and relaxed the plot was compared with other Leonard novels and Justified.

#69 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,566 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 10:53 PM

This has been an unusual season. I thought that the story line was just starting to click into gear in the last two or three weeks, and then learn at the end of this past episode that tomorrow night is the season finale. In a way, it seem like the series waited until its "junior year" to suffer its sophomore slump.

Series creator Graham Yost was interviewed on Elvis Mitchell's The Treatment last week. You can listen to that here, or download the podcast. Yost says that he has a story arc for a total of six seasons, should FX decide to run the show that long. He also says that most of the major loose ends from last season and season one will be addressed in tomorrows finale.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 09 April 2012 - 10:54 PM.

#70 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,566 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 11:51 PM

One thing is for sure, Justified doesn't short-change its viewers during the season finales. Season threes' finale didn't disappoint, even if the season in total felt kind of off. The last ten minutes were particularly well handled, especially the relationships between Raylan, Arlo and Boyd. A lot of dialogue that had been peppered throughout the season took on a new light at the end.

I'm glad not everything was wrapped up neatly. Open questions still remain with Johnny in Harlan, and Theo in Detroit. I'd like to see more of Limehouse next year, that is if Justified gets picked up for another season (I don't think FX has yet announced this).

#71 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,680 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 07:24 AM

I'm glad not everything was wrapped up neatly. Open questions still remain with Johnny in Harlan, and Theo in Detroit. I'd like to see more of Limehouse next year, that is if Justified gets picked up for another season (I don't think FX has yet announced this).

I'm actually pretty sure they announced it last month. (Checking.) Yup.

#72 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,446 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:05 AM

I thought I read somewhere that the writers have a five-season arc mapped out. I hope that is the case. At that point, I wouldn't mind switch gears to a different set of Leonard-inspired scripts.

Boy, if that last shot of Raylan putting his hat on after making that comment to Winona wasn't just spot on.

By the way, has anyone read Leonard's new book Raylan? Leonard has done this before, in that he wrote Road Dogs after Clooney played Jack Foley in Out of Sight (Foley being a character in both). Several reviewers noted that Leonard kind of wrote Foley as Clooney playing Foley. I wonder if Raylan is Timothy Olyphant as playing Raylan.

#73 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,566 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:25 AM

I'm actually pretty sure they announced it last month. (Checking.) Yup.

Thumbs up to that!

I thought I read somewhere that the writers have a five-season arc mapped out. I hope that is the case. At that point, I wouldn't mind switch gears to a different set of Leonard-inspired scripts.

Boy, if that last shot of Raylan putting his hat on after making that comment to Winona wasn't just spot on.

By the way, has anyone read Leonard's new book Raylan? Leonard has done this before, in that he wrote Road Dogs after Clooney played Jack Foley in Out of Sight (Foley being a character in both). Several reviewers noted that Leonard kind of wrote Foley as Clooney playing Foley. I wonder if Raylan is Timothy Olyphant as playing Raylan.

The linik to the audio interview with Graham Yost that I posted last week has Yost saying he has a six season outline already mapped out.

#74 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,680 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Wait till you get to season two.

OK, so we're finally watching season two. Loving it, of course — even more than the first season.

I've been pondering on what I love about the show. I've come up with a lot of reasons. Two that stand out, though. First, the show does an outstanding job of balancing "crime of the week" elements with season- and series-long story arcs. Yes, other shows do this to varying degrees. But I feel like Justified has something for both the casual and die-hard fan. Second, I really love the supporting cast. Not only Raylan's crew (who are great), but also folks like Wynn Duffy, state trooper Bergen, and others. I love how very minor characters pop up episodes (or seasons) later.

#75 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 326 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:44 AM

I'm nearly finished season two (about 3 episodes left). It's very good.

One thing I'm wondering about. In season one, it seemed as if Boyd Crowder, in trying to redeem his ways, became more "religious", but this season the religious aspect of his character seems tempered and almost forgotten (then again, forming a Christian militia isn't exactly a saintly endeavour...).

#76 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,680 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 05:28 AM

One thing I'm wondering about. In season one, it seemed as if Boyd Crowder, in trying to redeem his ways, became more "religious", but this season the religious aspect of his character seems tempered and almost forgotten (then again, forming a Christian militia isn't exactly a saintly endeavour...).

I thought Boyd more or less address this near the beginning of the second season. (Doesn't he?) After he loses most of his men at his backwoods camp, it seemed to have shocked him a bit.

#77 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,769 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 08:49 PM

Salon.com's Kristopher Jansma looks at the complex interaction between Justified and its literary roots:

The further entwining of television and literature is bound to raise many hackles, and critics will surely expend much ink (or many pixels) lamenting the selling-out of novelists, the deficiencies of television, or the death of literature forever and ever (amen). But perhaps the education that HBO is providing television viewers is actually leaving us hungrier. An evening of watching FX might prompt a curious pause at a bookstore the next morning. If television viewers continue to embrace rich, complex, novelistic storytelling, then yes, we should expect writers like Leonard, Ames, Karr, Foer, Russell and Franzen to be drawn to the form. And we can also anticipate that these shows will likewise draw viewers back toward their tremendous literary works.

[snip]

Clooney was very good, but Olyphant is exact. So much so that his picture is even on the jacket of the “Raylan” novel, the broader hat pulled down low over his eyes as he points his gun over the reader’s shoulder. It is the same image used in promotions for Season 2 of “Justified.” Open the book up and start reading, and you’ll find that there is no description of Raylan’s signature hat anywhere to be found. There is no longer any need for it.

#78 Christian

Christian

• 10,760 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:18 PM

Just decided to make Justified my summer TV-viewing project. Went to put a hold on Season 1 at the library. Discovered there are 14 holds on two copies, which means it'll be seven weeks before I get a crack at the show. Ah, life without Netflix.

#79 Greg Wolfe

Greg Wolfe

Concedo Nulli

• Administrator
  • 342 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:24 AM

Amazon Prime?

#80 Christian

Christian

• 10,760 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Just started watching season 1 and like it very much. So this is what Timothy Olyphant can do as an actor, huh? He's been terrible in everything else I've seen him in, so this qualifies as a revelation.

I've only read the first page of this thread and am afraid to read further, for fear that the show nosedives later in season 1, or in a subsequent season.

I checked, and the library now has Season 1. I'm in the Holds queue.

Is this show now in its second season, or has it been on longer than that?

Heh. Just got Season 1 from the library this week. So that was only a ... two-year, four-month wait.

And I don't think I'll be finished with Season 1 before it's due back Friday!

Just decided to make Justified my summer TV-viewing project. Went to put a hold on Season 1 at the library. Discovered there are 14 holds on two copies, which means it'll be seven weeks before I get a crack at the show. Ah, life without Netflix.

OK, wait. The hold must have come through during a week when I wasn't able to pick it up, or watch it, so I had to put it on hold again. May to July ain't too long a wait.