The Walking Dead

• Please log in to reply
216 replies to this topic

#101 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:27 AM

The spoilered bit is one I actually like...but I supposed I am pre-conditioned and was expecting it (as it was a plot point in the comics). The Sophia storyline is dragging out far more than I care for...but overall I am still enjoying the show.

#102 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

I think I'm going to wait 'til the DVDs come out. While the folks involved in the show said how excited they were that they could take the show in a different direction than the comic, I'm kind of holding my breath on this. It seems like while there are some differences, the major beats are still the same. The writing staff just seems to be treading water big time between these beats, though.

I'll bet money that by the end of the season, or even mid-season (mild spoiler for comic) all of the characters will hole up in an abandoned prison. It only took an issue or two to cover the stuff that happened at the farm and then shift to the prison, so the decision to spin the wheels a bit really does feel like time-wasting.

Edited by Jason Panella, 21 November 2011 - 09:46 AM.

#103 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 335 posts

Posted 21 November 2011 - 11:08 AM

I will say this: I've finally started moving through the comics and I'm enjoying them a lot more. The pacing is much better. It's exciting, like a zombie apocalypse ought to be.

#104 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,504 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 11:31 AM

#105 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:46 AM

So, to the people still watching: what did you think of the mid-season finale?

#106 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 09:21 AM

I liked it. It was an unexpected moment of tragedy at the end that I found to be solid. I also appreciate that when the show returns we will not see the rest of the season being
Spoiler
!

#107 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 07 December 2011 - 02:15 AM

Yeah, the rest of the season will now be
Spoiler

I was half expecting Rick to
Spoiler

#108 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,570 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:01 AM

Is Shane on the way out?

'The Walking Dead's' Jon Bernthal Circling Frank Darabont's TNT Pilot He would play the LAPD cop at the center of the period mobster drama and reunite with the former AMC showrunner.

#109 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,160 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:39 AM

Is Shane on the way out?

'The Walking Dead's' Jon Bernthal Circling Frank Darabont's TNT Pilot He would play the LAPD cop at the center of the period mobster drama and reunite with the former AMC showrunner.

Yeah, the AV Club called that announcement a possible spoiler.

#110 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 02:11 PM

Yeah, readers of the comic would expect him to exit in some way...

#111 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,160 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

A major spoiler is spreading on the internet. And the source? An AMC website ad for the season two BluRay.

#112 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,924 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

A major spoiler is spreading on the internet. And the source? An AMC website ad for the season two BluRay.

Not much of a spoiler for those of us who have read the comics, but nonetheless, that's a pretty big gaffe on the marketing team's part.

#113 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 328 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 01:35 AM

Spoiler

#114 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:08 AM

Spoiler

So much for no big deviations from the comic.

#115 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:35 AM

So much for no big deviations from the comic.

Still just keeping tabs on things from the sidelines here, but yeah — seriously.

#116 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,570 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

After what seemed like a big sophomore slump in the first half of the season, I must say that the last few episodes have me looking forward to this season's finale and the possibilities for next season. Hopefully AMC will throw a little more money towards this show.

#117 Russ

Russ

• 1,089 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 11:02 AM

I know I've become the Comic Book Guy w.r.t. this show. Of course, I can't stop watching it, partly because Ali and I really love to watch an hour or two of TV on Sunday nights after the brood has been put to bed, and partly because Greg Nicotero's makeup work is the knees of the bee. In the cruelest of ironies, AMC's now running commercials during this show in an attempt to convince its fanbase to give MAD MEN a try. "Hey, I see you like to eat spoiled and uncooked ground beef. You might really enjoy a Porterhouse steak!"

Anyway, we've found the recaps at Videogum to be invaluable in getting through the show's insultingly bad writing. Here's the most recent one:

http://videogum.com/...ains/tv/recaps/

The weird way in which Lori turned conciliatory to Shane really takes the cake. Just a few episodes ago, she's standoffish to Shane and warning her husband that he's a menace that needs to be exterminated, and now she's sidling up to him and pushing his victim buttons.

I guess we'll find out what Rick learned at the CDC this week.

#118 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

So...my favorite moment of the season was in the last five minutes...but this was a pretty wild season ender.

#119 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,160 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Sometimes, The Onion and The AV Club use the same headlines:

Potentially interesting character finally introduced on The Walking Dead

#120 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 511 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:13 PM

A rambling, conflicted reaction to the comic's recent 100th issue, which made the writer snap in regards to his fandom (major, major spoilers beginning after quoted section, which is from the second paragraph).

The events of this book make me seriously, seriously re-evaluate the relationship of the writer with his fan base. My honest opinion is that Robert Kirkman is a sadist. But hand in hand with that notion is something more dreadful: the fans are masochists. To keep returning to a series that has consistently "provoked you" with the exact same punishments is masochism. Because it is clear that Kirkman's entire philosophy with this book is to be as mean and awful to essentially good characters as he can. His entire shtick is to bait the audience with a simple little worm that I felt certain would not be on the hook in the anticipated issue # 100: "Someone is going to die." I felt certain that, because the entire series has been about suffering, punishment and death, he would actually find a clever way of making # 100 memorable without resorting to killing off a major character. Unfortunately, that is exactly what he did.

I've kept up with the show thus far, but not with any particular zeal toward avoiding the comic's spoilers. Given what's expected for Seasons 3 or 4 with Lori, and given how many of the show's fans are likely eagerly awaiting this moment, I'm not inclined to stick around. Even with Darabont gone and the hope of something not completely nihilistic barely alive, I just can't muster the interest.