Photo

Maleficent

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,879 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:11 PM

Links to threads on Linda Woolverton's other films The Lion King (1994), Arctic Tale (2007) and Alice in Wonderland (2010). We don't seem to have any threads on Beauty and the Beast (1991), Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey (1993) or Mulan (1998). Or on the original Sleeping Beauty (1959), for that matter.

- - -

Will Angelina Jolie wake Sleeping Beauty?
With "Maleficent," the postmodern take on "Sleeping Beauty," gaining momentum at Disney, there's also a star who could be surging with it: Angelina Jolie.
Earlier this week, the news broke that Disney had hired its longtime collaborator Linda Woolverton ("Beauty and the Beast," "The Lion King") to work on the screenplay for the live-action take on the 50-year-old hit. (Maleficent is the evil fairy godmother in the Disney film; this story would be told, "Wicked"-like, from her perspective.)
Both Tim Burton and Angelina Jolie had last spring been rumored to join the project, which Disney has been kicking around for a while as a way to mine its library, among other things. Burton's involvement remains unclear as he contemplates several projects. But sources say that, as of the last few weeks, Jolie is keen on the film and would like to sign on to play the titular villain.
Los Angeles Times, March 26

#2 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,791 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:34 PM

AARGH AARGH AARGH AARGH AARGH AARGH

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,879 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:38 PM

:lol:

I thought you might have an opinion on this. :)

#4 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,438 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:05 PM

AARGH AARGH AARGH AARGH AARGH AARGH

I'm actually glad somebody beat me to this for a change.

Are there no more babies being born? Are there no kids under the age of six? What's going on in the world? All of the kids' classics are all being perverted now.

I personally blame it all on Hooked.

#5 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,694 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 09:51 PM

I personally blame it all on Hooked.

You mean the Russian sci-fi-video-game-conspiracy movie? Me too. Posted Image

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,879 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 06:48 PM

Tim Burton Won't Direct Disney's 'Maleficent' (Exclusive)
Burton was only loosely attached to the project but his involvement was significant enough that last year the studio hired Burton's Alice in Wonderland collaborator Linda Woolverton, who also wrote Disney’s The Lion King, to pen the script. The project is being developed as a starring vehicle for Jolie.
Disney is not about to put Maleficent into a suspended-animation sleep. The studio is now on the hunt for a new director. One of the names that has surfaced in the early search is David Yates, who helmed the past four Harry Potter movies. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, May 16

#7 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,879 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 02:24 AM

The latest director rumoured to be in the running for this film is ... David O. Russell?

#8 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,879 posts

Posted 07 January 2012 - 06:53 PM

Disney Sets Robert Stromberg To Helm ‘Maleficent’
EXCLUSIVE: Disney has tapped Robert Stromberg to make his feature directorial debut on Maleficent, the Linda Woolverton-scripted revisionist take on the Sleeping Beauty fairy tale that is being constructed as a star vehicle for Angelina Jolie to play the villainess. While Stromberg is new to the director’s chair, he is no stranger to dealing with big-ticket spectacle films. He has been production designer on Avatar and Alice In Wonderland, and Disney’s upcoming Oz The Great And Powerful. He also worked on visual effects for such films as 2012, Pirates Of The Caribbean: At World’s End and Master And Commander. . . .
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, January 6

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 07 January 2012 - 06:54 PM.

#9 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,806 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

Elle Fanning as Aurora? Wow. She's growing up so fast.

Edited by Overstreet, 08 March 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#10 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,879 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:43 AM

Sharlto Copley In Talks To Join Angelina Jolie in Disney’s ‘Maleficent’
EXCLUSIVE: Sharlto Copley is in negotiations to play the male lead opposite Angelina Jolie in Disney’s Maleficent. He will play King Stefan in the live-action film, which tells the backstory of Sleeping Beauty and why the evil fairy (played by Jolie) cursed Princess Aurora in the first place. . . .
Deadline.com, May 3

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,879 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:24 AM

Juno Temple Joins Angelina Jolie's 'Maleficent' (Exclusive)
Elle Fanning already is on board as Aurora and Sharlto Copley is Stefan, the half-human and half-fairy bastard son of the human king. Also in the cast are Imelda Staunton (Vera Drake), Miranda Richardson (Harry Potter), Kenneth Cranham (Made in Dagenham), Sam Riley (Brighton Rock) and Lesley Manville (Another Year).
Temple would join Staunton and Manville as the three pixie fairies in the classic fairy tale who are tasked with taking care of Aurora in the cottage in the woods. Temple will play Thistletwit, who -- like the other pixies, Knotgrass and Flittle -- is neglectful and superficial. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, May 17

#12 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,694 posts

Posted 13 November 2013 - 09:52 AM

(Via /Film)

#13 Tyler

Tyler

• 5,694 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:40 PM

New trailer. I wonder if they're still working on the effects, because the fairies don't look very good so far.

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,879 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 10:23 PM

Tchaikovsky as you've never heard him before!

#15 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,901 posts

Posted 27 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

I'll give them this.  None of the other trailers made any impression upon me whatsoever.

Since seeing this most recent one early this morning, it's stuck in my head all day.

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 28,879 posts

Posted 16 March 2014 - 11:36 PM