Photo

World Cup 2010

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#41 Mike D.

Mike D.

• 21 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:25 PM

I've enjoyed watching both teams throughout the World Cup, but I'd like to see Spain win it.

Paul the Octopus has chosen Spain as well:

http://www.theglobea...093895895253914

#42 techne

techne

• 384 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

GO ORANJE!

#43 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:14 AM

What a dismal final, and yet another English shocker - the British ref was terrible.

My friend (a sports psychologist) is coaching referees in body language. He was all set to use Webb as a prime example. I imagine he's hastily re-writing that.

You can blame him too much - the Dutch decided to go out and play like that, and whilst it was his bad decisions at the other end that gave the right result - it was a poor spectacle.

Nice to see Forlan get the golden ball - he's been great.

So congrats Spain who (contrary to a post above) are the second team to progress from being Euro champions to World Champions. It's just a shame that the only two games that I saw of theirs were this and their defeat to Switzerland.

And so the only unbeaten team in the tournament was ...New Zealand ranked 78th in the world.

It's a funny old game.

Matt

#44 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,100 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:45 AM

And so the only unbeaten team in the tournament was ...New Zealand ranked 78th in the world.

It's a funny old game.

:blink:

#45 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 04:56 AM

UGGGHHH. Second time in a row that Holland decided to spend all potential yellow cards on its last game. That red was pathetic though, but live by the sword, die by the sword. They must have thought they couldn't win straight up. Not good.

#46 Hugues

Hugues

• 944 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 05:02 AM

I supported Spain all the way. It's such a great team, their game reminds me of the French one around 1982-1986 (remember Platini, Giresse, Tigana? No? Nevermind).

#47 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 358 posts

Posted 12 July 2010 - 07:39 AM

I thought the referee did pretty well considering the circumstances. Ultimately this was a real stinker of a match, but I don't think you blame the ref. The Dutch aggression put him in a difficult spot. In fact maybe his worst decision was not red carding Nigel De Jong's kung fu kick to Xabi Alonso's heart:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTFsl8WEw1U

Unfortunately, for a neutral observer this was the most exciting thing about the final:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PeM8CuH28M

Edited by du Garbandier, 12 July 2010 - 07:39 AM.

#48 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,319 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 08:44 AM

RIP, Paul the Octopus.