Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:06 PM

#2 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,319 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:49 PM

I almost fell out of my chair when I saw Overstreet posting a sports thread. Then I watched the video and realized it's a Bono commercial. The world makes sense again.

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,401 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 05:52 PM

:)

I gave up on caring about sports a long, long time ago. I'll watch basketball if I have time to really relax, but as soon as I start really actually caring about a team, I quit.

I invested so much time and energy in rooting for teams in my childhood and teen years, and it so often led to disappointment and stress and a wish to get those hours back. And in high school, I found that the competitive intensity at my school's basketball games and tournaments led to some attitudes and emotions that, later, left me feeling guilty and ashamed. Looking back, I have real doubts about the benefits of the competitive spirit prevalent at those events; we weren't just supporting our teams, but we were rooting *against* the other teams in some pretty ugly ways.

Sometimes I wonder about America's obsession with sports, and how that affects the us-versus-them dynamics in political "non-dialogue" in this country.

I'd rather invest them in things that "feed" me... like art and the outdoors. But that's just me.

And if you want to quit caring about sports, move to Seattle. That'll kill your interest in a real hurry.

Edited by Overstreet, 21 April 2010 - 05:55 PM.

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,020 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 08:53 PM

Blocked in my country (and others?) due to copyright.

#5 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 09:14 PM

Sometimes I wonder about America's obsession with sports, and how that affects the us-versus-them dynamics in political "non-dialogue" in this country.

You'd be surprised at the sports fandom among many decying what you decry at the moment. As a counter example, you'd also be surprised at how prickly Jonathan Chait
can be on the subject of Michigan football.

I'd rather invest them in things that "feed" me... like art and the outdoors. But that's just me.

I am coming somewhat to your POV here, however, two things. Sports is becoming more something that a man should be familiar with and know a bit about, but no need to
be obsessed unless the 'Wings have a chance to do some post season damage, and

As to things that feed me: just about the most beautiful thing in this world is, after heroic defense breaking up attack after attack, a wonderous 40 yard boomer that just
arches into the goal in an epic soccer match. The only thing more beautiful is the goalie reaching against all odds and gravity to deflect that glorious and wondrous shot.

HUP NEDERLAND!!

#6 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,699 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 10:31 AM

Yahoo fantasy sports has pickem contest. I've set up a group (also inviting people from outside A&F) in case any of you want to compare yourself to my typical North American ignorance of the game. Group: 9691 Password: fifa

FWIW, I know not to pick NZ or Australia to do much, but I am picking US to finally win a game or two.

Edited by Darrel Manson, 22 May 2010 - 02:50 PM.

#7 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 358 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 01:50 PM

Yahoo fantasy sports has pickem contest. I've set up a group (also inviting people from outside A&F) in case any of you want to compare yourself to my typical North American ignorance of the game. Group: 9691 Password: fifa

I just may throw my ignorant hat in the ring. However, this link goes to a review of the film The Father of My Children. I hope this isn't some sort of John Terry scandal pickem contest...

#8 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,699 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:51 PM

Oops. Obviously I was trying to trick people into that review. (Good movie, btw)

Here's the correct link (and I've corrected it above.)

Edited by Darrel Manson, 22 May 2010 - 02:51 PM.

#9 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 22 May 2010 - 02:56 PM

I am picking US to finally win a game or two.

Well England are looking like they should do quite well...so you'll probably pick up three points off us in your opening game...

Besides you did well in 2002.

Matt

#10 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 20 June 2010 - 05:39 AM

No discussion of the England USA match? I was expecting my absence (due to holiday) to be missed. Fair result in my book. After fantastic qualifying, our tournament is going really badly. Capello has gone from hero to public enemy number 1 in record time. Odd.

Matt

#11 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 03:44 PM

And yet with the tragi/comedy of the French, no one but the English seem to be concerned with the English troubles.

For me, the suspense is thrilling. This year it would seem that Argentina is cast in the role of the Netherlands. The Dutch demand all Cup campaigns to be as it was in '74 and '78, their high watermark. Smoking everyone in their way 'til a tough, well fought final. They always seem to flash out after a sterling group campaign. Most big players start slow and build to a peak in the knockout rounds. It would be nice if The Orange behave as Germany and Italy have in their successful Cups of the last 20 years.

That said, I'm waiting for a big team to show up Argentina's lack of defense.

#12 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:03 PM

Yes the French situation is unbelievable isn't it? I think the concern with our plight is very much limited to here. The French, Italiians, Germans and Spanish have all had problems of their own.

And teams have won by being brilliant all the way through. The Germans of Italia 90, the French in 1998, Brazil in 2002.

People keep moaning about the tournament, but I think it's the best in years. I have no idea who is going to win, the semi-finalists could be made up of anyone. I mean what a spanking the Portuguese gave the North Koreans today. Compare that to Brazil's feeble 2-1 and there's a final match that will be fascinating.

I hope at least one African team makes it through to the last 16 though...so long as it's not Algeria...

Matt

#13 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 12:56 AM

And teams have won by being brilliant all the way through. The Germans of Italia 90, the French in 1998, Brazil in 2002.

But, it is a bit hazy, but I remember a struggle or two to win early for the Germans in particular. My suspicions of the group round are really through a Dutch prism. They usually cruise through joyfully to a buzzsaw in knockout.

People keep moaning about the tournament, but I think it's the best in years. I have no idea who is going to win, the semi-finalists could be made up of anyone. I mean what a spanking the Portuguese gave the North Koreans today. Compare that to Brazil's feeble 2-1 and there's a final match that will be fascinating.

Oh it's been quite good despite some odd booking calls. Yes. First matches are never an indication of anything anyway. When did unintentional penalty box handball calls become manditory red cards? Penalty kick yes. Always. Yellow card, maybe. But automatic red card? I don't remember this rule, but I find it hard to keep up on a weekly to monthly basis here in the U.S.

#14 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,401 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

I'm sorry.

#15 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 02:46 PM

So a late goal for the US see them edge England out of 1st place. Relieved, but a little gutted. The US probably deserved it though to be fair.

: I remember a struggle or two to win early for the Germans in particular.

Well the won the first two 4-1, and 5-1 and then with (almost) nothing to play for they drew with a much fancied dark horses Columbia. Then they beat those pesky Dutch (with Rijkaard and was it Klinsman? sent off for spitting / reacting - that's from memory), Czechslovakia, and were lucky to make it through to penalties against England (totally unbiased of course). Then saw off the holders Argentina in a dull and one sided final. Not quite brilliant, but pretty convincing in world cup terms.

Matt

#16 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 358 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 06:11 PM

USA Soccer's habit of giving up goals early on in games only to rally late has been much discussed, and it nearly went that way again when Algeria struck the crossbar today in the opening minutes. It reminds me of the episode of Top Gear where the hosts turn normal cars into stretch limos, and James May says that Jeremy Clarkson's crazy pulley-sled system for pulling passengers all the way through the stretch hatchback to their seats was an "ingenious solution to a problem that should never have existed in the first place." Somehow the USA devises amazing solutions to self-inflicted problems. They've been one of the most entertaining teams in the tournament so far.

#17 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

• 6,699 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 10:35 PM

Wasn't the US match today fun? Drove me crazy, but damn it was fun!

#18 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 02:51 AM

Watching the highlights made me feel a little better about how we blew a far easier path to the semis. One of the semi-finalists will be from USA, South Korea, Ghana or Uruguay. I fancy the latter quite strongly, but for us to get there we will now have to beat Germany and then Argentina. I was quite gutted especially as we had a goal disallowed for offside and hit a post. But then seeing the US did the same thing made me think it was fair enough.

Matt

#19 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,401 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 09:22 AM

Seattlites watching the end of U.S. versus Algeria

#20 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,194 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 11:25 AM

D'y'know I tutted when I saw your post: this kind of thing was done to death over here a few years ago. Every half and full time analysis was punctuated by shots from cameras in different pubs in different parts of the country capturing the reaction of random supporters. I've been thoroughtly glad not to see it at this world cup.

But...but, this one was actually good, quite moving (almost). I'm not sure it's because it was the absolute last minute and it wasn't just a goal but qualification when being knocked out looked on the cards; or whether it's just because Americans do exuberance so much better than us Brits, even with a few beers inside us; or whether it's because I'm not directly emotionally involved with it as I always am during England matches (if it's half time and we're only one up I'm tetchy - who wants to see a bunch of sozzled, over optimistic morons leaping about like idiots, you'll jinx us); or whether it's just because it's another nation, who aren't one of the big nations but still loving the wonder of the world cup; who knows. But thanks for posting it.

That said, I can't believe that you not only qualified ahead of us (into the easiest quarter of the draw) but that you also do corporate goal celebrations better than us. Bastards.

In other news, the Italians are out as well. Have to say I'm glad. Not only is it the first time ever that the two finalists have gone out in the first round, but the Italians are always, ALWAYS, flukey, grabbed a last minute goal even though we defended for the entire game, jammy so and sos. The tournament will be better without them.

Matt

Edited by MattPage, 24 June 2010 - 11:27 AM.