Photo

Over the Rhine - The Long Surrender (Jan. 2011)

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#61 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,087 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 09:25 PM

All Music's review, by Rick Anderson.

Drat. I was hoping they'd give this one to Thom Jurek.

I sort of doubt they would have gotten a favorable review from that dude. Just a hunch, though!

#62 chillinrev

chillinrev

• 204 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 11:03 AM

I don't think OTR have ever surpassed the opening trilogy of 'Til We See Faces, Patience and Eve. Although Ohio had some classic moments. Just find the more stripped back approach less interesting. That voice still haunts but there are no songs that would so far appear in my fav moments of this band career. Sorry!

#63 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 331 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 06:22 PM

I don't think OTR have ever surpassed the opening trilogy of 'Til We See Faces, Patience and Eve. Although Ohio had some classic moments. Just find the more stripped back approach less interesting. That voice still haunts but there are no songs that would so far appear in my fav moments of this band career. Sorry!

I don't have their debut album but I find myself more oriented towards Good Dog Bad Dog and Ohio more than anything else. I always though it was odd (but interesting!) that OTR worked with Gene Eugene on Eve. I rarely listen to the early albums though.

#64 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,183 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:31 PM

Well, here's a comparison I've haven't run across before:

I think Over the Rhine is basically the Pixar of music. They have a hard time releasing anything short of excellent.

#65 Thom Jurek (unregistered)

Thom Jurek (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

All Music's review, by Rick Anderson.

Drat. I was hoping they'd give this one to Thom Jurek.

I sort of doubt they would have gotten a favorable review from that dude. Just a hunch, though!

Your hunch was correct- Josh.

#66 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,595 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 01:13 PM

So which album is OtR's Cars? :)

#67 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 331 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 11:04 PM

(This has nothing to do with The Long Surrender but I wasn't sure it warranted a separate thread)

"All I Need Is Everything" has long been one of my favourite OtR songs but I've never quite understood the title or the chorus. Listening to it today, I thought about the lyrics: "no hand writing on the wall / just the voice that's in us all". Does "all I need is everything" refer to people needing some hard, physical, evident "proof" of God? The lyrics I quoted seem to indicate that we know there is something "supernatural/spiritual/deeper" that we know of but just cannot touch. Also, does the lyric "it's not as if it is a matter of will" refer to predestination or something?

I know this is dredging up a song that's what...15 years old? But SongMeanings.com is a very slow, inactive site and this forum would probably provide faster and better feedback.

#68 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,190 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 03:17 PM

OtR on NPR's World Cafe.

#69 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,183 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 01:18 PM

The AV Club on the upcoming fall tour.

#70 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,347 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

I've tried many times over the years to love Over the Rhine as much as many of you do, but it's just never worked. Until now. I've found a song by them I can totally get behind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZWoxVr05mk

Full disclosure: In one month my daughter will turn two.