Photo

SFU Film Screening: "Shoot It: Eight Films From Second Year"

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 526 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 10:51 PM

My second-year film class from Simon Fraser University's film program is having a screening of our work from this past year on Tuesday May 4th, at the Pacific Cinematheque. The screening title is "Shoot It: Eight Films From 2nd-Year." Show times are 7:00 pm and 9:00 pm. Tickets are $5 and available through SFU's Theatre box office. You can find ticket and other information at the event's Facebook page.

Eight short films (16mm, mono sound) will be screened, including "Assisted Living," the film I've been working on for the last eight months with my incredible partners, Sara Blake and Nathan Meszaros. We are really, really thrilled to be able to finally unveil our work. And having seen my classmates' films as they develop, I'm even more excited to say that it's a wonderful line-up of films, all with something different to offer. The second-year portion of SFU's four-year program focuses exclusively on the production of one short 16mm film over the entirety of the two semesters, so we've spent a lot of time with these characters and images. It's time to let them loose.

As the Facebook page points out, this is the last screening of films produced with almost entirely traditional tools and methods (mag stock, table editing) out of SFU's Burnaby campus, as the program moves to new permanent downtown facilities over the summer. So it's a bit of a watershed for the long-time professors and lecturers who make it such a rewarding place to learn, and for the program itself. Come be a part of it.

If anyone here is planning on coming, shoot me an email/PM and I'll keep an eye out at the show. It'd be great to meet you fine folks in person

P.S. The SFU graduate screening by the fourth year students also promises to be a great evening.

#2 Christian

Christian

• 11,046 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

N.W.: Just posted a question about viewing opportunities for your film in the "What I'm Watching This Weekend" thread. Where does the film go after these final screenings?

#3 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 526 posts

Posted 24 April 2010 - 01:56 PM

We're hoping to take the film to some festivals. If we get accepted into any, I'll post info on where it's playing. After that, we may post it online. This is our first time doing this (festivals), so we're kind of feeling it out step by step.

#4 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:33 PM

I've been wondering more and more about the viability of film festivals. Are they worth the time and money they require to apply? If the festival is not paying you for the screening (most likely) then why not just put it online for free?

I'm mulling over this for my Wrestling for Jesus project and wondering if I should even bother with film festivals - what does a festival get me other than a leafy wreath on my website.