48 Hour Film Project - 2010

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 SZPT

SZPT

Interpersonal Augustinian Knight

• 1,232 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

Well, the 2010 48 Hour Film Project tour kicked off in Dallas this weekend, and I led a team into the fiery lake of competition.

A bit of background: the 48 Hour contest is exactly how it sounds: make a movie in 48 hours. Dallas had 45 teams this year split up into 3 groups of 15. Every single team is given the same 3 elements that must be incorporated into their 4-7 minute long film.

The Dallas elements were:

Character: Chris or Christina Miliaris, Professor
Prop: a bottle of wine
Line of Dialogue: "I've never tried it, but I hear it's great."

Then each team in a group reaches into a hat and picks out a slip of paper with their own special genre.

We chose "Musical or Western" -- enter appropriate explicative [here].

But it all worked out in the end, and we were very happy with the final product.

The premiere is this Saturday, and I will post our short online soon afterward.

If you have a chance in your own area to do this, then I highly recommend it. Even with all of the stress and frenzy you can still kick out a decent movie under such high-pressure circumstances.

Is there anyone else considering competing this year, or who has been involved in years past?

#2 SZPT

SZPT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 12:11 AM

I forgot that I had posted to the forum.

Here's our short, "The IT Kid"

It's a fun little piece. We won the Audience Award, so not half bad for our first venture into a timed competition.

#3 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 29 June 2010 - 09:23 AM

SZPT - loved it. Very creative, especially for a 48hr film project.
I thought the last act was a little rushed compared to the others but you may have had time restraints. I also thought his moment of deciding to actually engage in the duel was not nearly as well done. I'm not against cleavage (especially in a comedy - so it's not a prudish comment) but it didn't fit the quality of the rest of the piece - both in execution and in content.
Loved how you used color correction - especially when you came out of the western look.

What did you do on the project?

#4 SZPT

SZPT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:29 PM

SZPT - loved it. Very creative, especially for a 48hr film project.
I thought the last act was a little rushed compared to the others but you may have had time restraints. I also thought his moment of deciding to actually engage in the duel was not nearly as well done. I'm not against cleavage (especially in a comedy - so it's not a prudish comment) but it didn't fit the quality of the rest of the piece - both in execution and in content.
Loved how you used color correction - especially when you came out of the western look.

What did you do on the project?

Thanks for the comments.

I helped write it, and I was both the director and the editor. A lot of pressure on the directing side after only 3 hours of sleep the first night, and on the editing side after just 5 hours of sleep the second night.

Yes, in a timed event it basically boils down to making the best decision at the time and then sticking to it. The cleavage line was said as a joke Friday night when we were laying out the beats of the script, and it made us all laugh. So we decided to write it in. Since it was a lighthearted piece we didn't feel like we had to give the male lead character too much motivation to help the girl, but that certainly put him over the top (pardon the pun). We got a huge laugh at that point during the screening. I'm sure it may have struck others differently as you expressed, so thanks for the comment.

#5 SZPT

SZPT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:41 PM

And, we just completed another 48 Hour Film Project, this time for the city of Austin.

The elements for all teams were:
Character: Vincent or Vanessa Lowe, potter
Prop: a balloon
Line of dialogue: "Why does everyone always say that?"

Our crew pulled the genre: Drama

We should be uploading the film in a few days to both YouTube and Vimeo. I'll posts links when that is done.

On this one I was only a co-writer and the editor. Also a producer, but that's a given on these things. My co-producer wanted to direct this time so I handed over the reigns to him.

I am super proud of the script. My friend who also directed wrote the first pass, and I came in after to beef up some characters and suggest a different ending, which he liked and we shot.

We had a very different set of challenges thrown at us this go round, many of which were unconnected, others inter-tangled, and none of which do I want to give details on. Suffice it to say that I think they all affected the final product. Still, I am happy with it -- especially when you realize that it was all done again in 48 hours.

That being said, I never want to do another timed competition again.

#6 SZPT

SZPT

• 1,232 posts

Posted 19 July 2010 - 01:11 AM

If you're interested, here's the final product our crew submitted for the Austin 48 Hour Film Project:

"Through the Fire"

We got an Honorable Mention in the Audience Award category. So that was nice.