Photo

A Good Day to Die Hard

• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,504 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 12:42 PM

Link to our threads on the first and fourth films.

EXCLUSIVE: 'Die Hard 5' Could Shoot Next Year, Story Could 'Go Worldwide,' Bruce Willis Says
"There is no John McClane." That's what "Cop Out" star Bruce Willis cautions MTV's Josh Horowitz to remember when the subject of that iconic "Die Hard" character comes up. And then he dropped the bomb: "I think we're going to do a 'Die Hard 5' next year." . . .
It's all an in-process thing at this point, with no hard details decided upon. . . .
MTV Movies Blog, February 22

Skip Woods, Fox making John McClane die hard one more time (exclusive)
John McClane’s string of bad luck may not yet be over.
“Hitman” screenwriter Skip Woods is in negotiations with Fox to take a crack at a new “Die Hard” script. The New York cop known for consistently being in the wrong place at the right time has already survived four run-ins with terrorists, traitors and psychotic loose cannons of one stripe or another. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, May 4

- - -

So would this be the first truly original Die Hard movie, i.e. the first Die Hard movie that was NOT based on an existing non-McClane proprety? (The first movie was based on a novel that was written as a sequel to a Frank Sinatra movie; the second movie was based on another, completely unrelated novel; the third movie was based on a spec script that originally had nothing to do with McClane; and the fourth movie was based on an article in Wired magazine.)

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 22 February 2012 - 03:30 PM.

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,504 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 02:02 AM

Bruce Willis tells MTV: "It's imminent. The coin is about to drop."

#3 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,125 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 07:57 PM

To be directed by Noam Murro.

You know... Noam Murro.

Wait... who?!

Die Hard 5 is moving toward the start gate at 20th Century Fox. I’m told the studio will set Noam Murro to direct the film that has been scripted by Skip Woods. They will continue to develop the script. While Murro directed the Sarah Jessica Parker-starrer Smart People for Miramax. Murro really impressed Fox brass with his most recent campaign for the Halo video game. He’s a five time DGA nominated commercials director, won two Golden Lions at Cannes and is taking a big leap up to one of Fox’s most important projects. The studio still has to make a deal with Bruce Willis, but he has publicly expressed excitement about reprising his signature John McClain role. Willis showed he had plenty left in the tank with Live Free Or Die Hard, the Len Wiseman-directed 2007 sequel that grossed $383.5 million worldwide.

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,504 posts

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:45 AM

BREAKING: DIE HARD 5 Will Send McClane And Son To Russia But First They Need A New Director
Since Murro's attachment to Die Hard 5 became public knowledge the director has also been attached to direct 300 prequel Xerxes (aka 300: Battle Of Artemisia) and Twitch has learned that the demands of Xerxes have led to Murro having to exit Die Hard 5. Who will take the helm in his place? Nothing is definite yet but our sources tell us that John Moore (Behind Enemy Lines, Max Payne) has been told that the film is essentially his to take or leave. . . .
TwitchFilm, July 30

#5 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,125 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:29 PM

Yep, it's John Moore.

Edited by Overstreet, 31 August 2011 - 05:29 PM.

#6 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,570 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:03 AM

FWIW....

From Ain't it cool news...

An AICN reader called Battletide sent in this quick note, presented below in its entirety...

I was just listening to my fave sports show, The Jim Rome Show, and b/c of Rome's love for all things John McClane, Tom Rothman of FOX Entertainment came on his show to announce the title and set-up for Die Hard 5. It will be titled A Good Day To Die Hard and it will involve John heading to Russia to sweet talk some cops into letting his apparently-wayward son out of jail for something he did....but when he gets there, as you can imagine....things surrounding his son's arrest are not as they appear and world-threatening terrorist hijinks ensue. The role for John McClane, Jr. will be highly coveted in the next couple of months. It goes before cameras in January, and they are going to release it on February 14th just in time to buy the lady some roses and chocolate and then take her to see some terrorists get their asses handed to them McClane style!!!!

#7 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,077 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

Possibly Ben Foster, Paul Dano, Aaron Paul or Milo Ventimiglia for the McClane son?

Ventimiglia - absolutely not. Ben Foster - yes.

Edited by Persiflage, 13 October 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#8 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,077 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:12 PM

James Badge Dale, Liam Hemsworth or Aaron Paul.

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,504 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:11 PM

Link to the original Deadline article.

#10 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,160 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:12 PM

Hemsworth is at least 10 years younger than any of the others.

I would not have guessed Aaron Paul was 32, though. He plays young well.

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,504 posts

Posted 22 February 2012 - 03:31 PM

‘Spartacus’ Alum Jai Courtney Lands Coveted ‘Die Hard’ Lead
This is a big surprise, as the studio, Moore and Willis met a ton of up and coming young actors, only to expand the search several times. Courtney hadn’t been on any of those short lists that I’d heard of, but I heard that it came down to Courtney and Liam Hemsworth, the Hunger Games star. Courtney is perhaps best known for playing Varro in the Starz series Spartacus: Blood and Sand. He was the close confidante of Spartacus until they were forced into a battle to the death. Courtney most recently has been starring opposite Tom Cruise in Paramount’s One Shot, the Christopher McQuarrie-directed adaptation of the Lee Child bestseller. He is also attached to star opposite Aaron Eckhart in I, Frankenstein. . . .
Deadline.com, February 22

#12 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,783 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:26 AM

Teaser.

BTW, am I the only person who thinks of Worf when he hears the title?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFxGPI1Uvlg

Edited by NBooth, 04 October 2012 - 11:30 AM.

#13 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,160 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:45 AM

BTW, am I the only person who thinks of Worf when he hears the title?

No, you are not.

#14 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 958 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:44 PM

I thought of Worf too haha

#15 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,979 posts

Posted 06 October 2012 - 04:17 PM

Looks like fun! And the last line is classic.

#16 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,077 posts

Posted 25 October 2012 - 11:07 PM

#17 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 01:38 AM

I am such a sucker for this franchise.

#18 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,924 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

Huh. Could be fun. I wasn't much a fan of LIVE FREE OR DIE HARD, but I'd go see this.

#19 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 958 posts

Posted 26 October 2012 - 12:55 PM

Too bad they couldn't go with Joseph Gordon Levitt in Bruce Willis makeup again.

#20 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,504 posts

Posted 12 January 2013 - 12:17 PM

Looks like the franchise will get its first R rating since 1995.