Hipster Christianity

• Please log in to reply
471 replies to this topic

#341 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,621 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:46 AM

Leaves of Grass. Who was Walt Whitman if not the greatest American hipster of the 19th century?

#342 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:15 AM

Re: the Top 10.

No. No, not at all. I thought that hipsterism was a self conscious thing that was cultivated as image for one's own self and one's elite little clique. Cassavetes, artisanal anything, "pants that fit" (if only, tangential to this idea is pants too big/ below yer ass, besides, pants that fit has been a staple of late middle age/senior lifestyle since whenever), and plenty more that has vacated my mind due to the rant. I might agree with the cultural omnivorous if the examples weren't so narrowly skewed.

I'm not sure about Walt Whitman. However, how popular and ubiquitous was Leaves of Grass at the time? It is considred a great work of American letters now. If it was despised, or suppressed then, I might agree. Though I'm not sure Whitman cultivated anything about himself other than one-off-eccentricity.

#343 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 10:26 AM

That's a photo Anne took of me on Whidbey Island.

Maybe it's the jet lag, but I don't get the joke.

Poking fun at your inclusion in the book that is the title of this thread.

#344 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 03:06 PM

Oh, I thought it was the Claritin joke. You know, all the chest high "grasses".

#345 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,804 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 01:56 AM

Ah. Okay.

#346 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,875 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:13 PM

Rich Kennedy wrote:
: Oh, I thought it was the Claritin joke. You know, all the chest high "grasses".

I don't get the Claritin reference, but the grasses did get me thinking of Malick (who, according to McCracken, is popular with hipsters -- or at least hipsters like McCracken).

#347 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,621 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

Claritin is what enables some of us to stand in a field like that without becoming ... uncomfortable.

I thought it was Jeffrey in the photo, but wasn't quite sure.

#348 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,804 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 07:11 PM

I saw Brett at IAM Encounter 11. We had a very brief chat and meant to meet later for coffee. I'm hoping to have a dialogue with him about the whole HC debate, if he's up for it... something I can publish at LookingCloser.org. (I'm feeling pretty rotten that I spent time on this debate, since Brett and I have been online pals for a long time.) But alas, our paths didn't cross again, unfortunately... (probably in part due to my desperate hours trying to get my lecture into shape).

It was a beautiful weekend in NYC. I didn't have time to take pictures while I was there, but he posted a bunch on Facebook.

Edited by Overstreet, 07 March 2011 - 07:17 PM.

#349 techne

techne

• 381 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 09:48 AM

apologies if this is redundant, but here is a CT article about hipstermania

#350 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,804 posts

Posted 20 March 2011 - 11:29 AM

Yeah, that package of articles entered the conversation way back in Post 177. I think it's likely there has been more discussion of those articles in this thread than there has been discussion of the content of the book itself (although I suspect that they're similar in their sentiments).

Edited by Overstreet, 20 March 2011 - 11:33 AM.

#351 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,804 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 11:05 AM

Hipster Christianity: The Retreat

#352 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 863 posts

Posted 18 April 2011 - 11:34 AM

So, for the heck of it, I have put my old study online, wherein I think I may have coined the shorthand description "hipster evangelicals", for everyone's reference. I'll be adding some images and charts and a new introduction reflecting on what's changed since 2006 when I get around to it.

hipsterevangelicalism.tumblr.com

Edited by Holy Moly!, 18 April 2011 - 11:34 AM.

#353 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,899 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 10:26 AM

This sounds like a hipster thing to do. Gotta love the culture clash in this article. There's also probably a couple obvious & easy ways to Christianize this fad.

#354 Joel

Joel

• 730 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 09:33 AM

Maybe y'all'd prefer Hamster Christianity.

#355 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 16,804 posts

Posted 11 June 2011 - 06:13 PM

McCracken prepares the follow-up book:

How do Christians engage the culture in a way that enriches our spiritual walk, edifies God, and contributes to broader human flourishing? How should we go about consuming potentially dicey — but also potentially edifying — areas of pop culture? How do we get the most out of that which we consume, and how do we discern what is and isn’t appropriate among the vast range of cultural goods, experiences, and products to which we are daily beckoned as consumers?

These are the sorts of questions I’m always asking, and they’re questions that loom large in my next book project, which I’m proud to say I started writing last week (after signing a contract with Baker Books, who will be publishing it).

I don’t want to say too much about the specifics of the book just yet… But I will say that it’s admittedly ambitious and sprawling, and will require immense energies and focus as I write it over the next 14 months (even as I work full time, pursue relationships, and continue to travel and speak in support of HC). That said, it’s going to be an absolute blast to write. The research for this book will take me to Switzerland, Spain, England, Chicago, New York, among many other places. It will require me to spend plenty of hours conversing with baristas and filmmakers and poets and musicians, and may require a few trips to breweries and wineries. It won’t be a bad gig.

As I begin the writing process, one thing that is motivating me is my firmly held belief in the radical nature of nuance. Moderation. Balance.

Edited by Overstreet, 11 June 2011 - 06:15 PM.

#356 The Defenestrator

The Defenestrator

• 112 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:58 AM

I saw this video and thought of this thread.

#357 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,875 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:01 AM

The other day, I e-mailed a blog post about dominionism to some friends, and, since the article notes that many dominionists refuse to identify themselves as such (despite looking, sounding and quacking like dominionists), I quipped that dominionists must be kind of like hipsters, then. I then wondered if there were any hipster dominionists or dominionist hipsters out there, and one friend suggested Francis Schaeffer.

#358 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:07 AM

"How do Christians engage the culture..."

Why do Christian authors and journalists so often say "the culture" rather than just "culture"? Unless I unconsciously block it out, I only ever see the article used in Christian writing.

Is this a throwback to the initial Christianity Today era when Evangelicalism was emerging in response to a specific, monolithic alternative to conservative Christianity that was emerging in the 50s and 60s? So there was "the culture" out there that we needed to "engage"?

#359 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,234 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:13 AM

The other day, I e-mailed a blog post about dominionism to some friends, and, since the article notes that many dominionists refuse to identify themselves as such (despite looking, sounding and quacking like dominionists), I quipped that dominionists must be kind of like hipsters, then. I then wondered if there were any hipster dominionists or dominionist hipsters out there, and one friend suggested Francis Schaeffer.

Schaeffer may or may not have been a dominionist. But he walked around in lederhosen. The ability to think critically about culture does not make one a hipster.

#360 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,531 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:49 AM

Schaeffer may or may not have been a dominionist. But he walked around in lederhosen. The ability to think critically about culture does not make one a hipster.

But was he wearing the lederhosen ironically?