Photo

Wrestling for Jesus Trailer

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:49 PM

Christopher - any fests or screening locations you might recommend in LA area?

Gosh, I really don't know. Unfortunately I'm not too familiar with the festival scene out here. If you were interested in creating your own screening, there are a ton of places in LA that vary in size, style and price. Regarding festivals, I'm just not sure, especially with the strong religious nature of your film, though secular fests may really be into that - who knows?

It's ironic, but we really don't have really cool fests here in LA. The LA fest is the most reputable, which is in the summer.

Personally, I feel like your film could be embraced by large churches out here, who might want you to screen it as a special event for their congregation. But then again, that might be true at any large church in any town....

cB

Curiously both places it's been accepted (Wi Film Fest and Indie Grits) are both in smallish towns with prominent secular public universities so I'm not entirely sure that the film audience is limited to religious audiences (although I am developing a strategy to reach those audiences).
I guess the great thing about doing a film festival run is it allows you to test your film with different audiences and see how they respond. You can then develop a larger distribution strategy based on that.

#22 vjmorton

vjmorton

• 512 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 05:25 PM

Christopher - any fests or screening locations you might recommend in LA area?

I don't know what their deadlines are, but there is Silverdocs in the Washington area.

#23 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 11:41 AM

I don't know what their deadlines are, but there is Silverdocs in the Washington area.

Silverdocs was one of the first I applied to. Haven't heard yet.

#24 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 11:24 AM

We had this nice little write up in the Onion's AVClub (the Madison version).
Looking forward to next week and the premiere.

#25 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,860 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:28 AM

That is a nice write-up. Very positive.

#26 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 01:20 PM

And one other nice write up in the Madison weekly paper where Wrestling For Jesus was one of 12 movies "guaranteed to be worth the while"

They live in South Carolina, and their wrestling promotion is devoted to spreading the word of God's love. When they're not staging matches in masks and spandex, they're praying and preaching and inviting the saved up to the ring for an altar call.

It's miraculously juicy material, and I can imagine a documentary that commits the fatal mistake of condescending to these people. To his great credit, Madison-based director Nathan Clarke never does. After the sensational opening acts, Clarke focuses perhaps a little too much on the promotion's organizer, whose problems are sad but ordinary. But I understand the choice, and the scenes pay off in a delirious grand finale.

#27 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 511 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 02:02 AM

I hope the screening went well tonight, Nathan.

Have you thought about submitting to Vancouver? They are usually pretty keen on documentaries and the program has featured a good bunch every year that I've been (3 years now).

#28 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:55 AM

I'll check out Vancouver - thanks for the suggestion. My guess is that being a larger festival, they are looking for premieres but, it can't hurt to give it a try.

The screening went really well. It sold out and it was good to see another Arts and Faith board member there - Thom. The premiere party was also a great success. It was an incredibly affirming experience and I'm looking forward to the next screening in South Carolina in mid-April.

#29 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,508 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 12:00 PM

NClarke wrote:
: I'll check out Vancouver - thanks for the suggestion. My guess is that being a larger festival, they are looking for premieres but, it can't hurt to give it a try.

FWIW, I've been going to the VIFF since '94 and I can't recall seeing all that many documentary premieres there. Some, sure, but it doesn't appear to be a high priority. They just love documentaries, period.

#30 NClarke

NClarke

• 157 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 10:07 AM

A couple of updates.
We just had a screening in South Carolina at the Indie Grits Film Festival - a great festival that is worth checking out if you live in the South East.

Also, the soundtrack (produced by Charlie Peacock) just came out on iTunes.