• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

It's official: there will be a sequel. An animated sequel to the original cartoon, that is.

Nickelodeon Greenlights The Legend of Korra

The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern "Avatar" world, Republic City – a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang's son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.

#2 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:41 PM

In order to keep the Last Airbender thread focused on the movie, I've created this new thread for discussing the original Nickelodeon cartoon series, as well as its sequel, The Legend of Korra.

#3 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,370 posts

Posted 14 August 2010 - 09:33 AM

BTW, Mae Whitman (voice of Katara) plays Roxy Richter--one of the 7 evil exes--in Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.

#4 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:41 AM

BTW, Mae Whitman (voice of Katara) plays Roxy Richter--one of the 7 evil exes--in Scott Pilgrim Vs The World.

She also played Ann Veal (George Michael's girlfriend) in Arrested Development.

#5 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 09:47 AM

Who?

#6 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:11 PM

Who?

Her?

#7 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 16 August 2010 - 12:26 PM

:lol:

#8 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 01:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XE9iuNOXzo
Just released at Comic-Con. Looks fantastic to me.

More info on the sequel, including plot and character details, here.

Edited by opus, 24 July 2011 - 01:58 PM.

#9 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,370 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 03:26 PM

The trailer does look good, but it seems weird to call this The Last Airbender: Legend of Korra, since Korra isn't an airbender. I guess it could be a carryover from the title of the movie (which dropped the Avatar because it came out right after Cameron's Avatar), but I'd think they would want to stay as far away from that association as possible.

#10 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:51 PM

Yeah, I imagine Cameron's film gave them a bit of a branding and marketing headache.

#11 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,370 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:13 PM

New Trailer:

I like the look of it, and how the world seems quite a bit more advanced than the previous series, but the tone feels too light to me.

#12 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,370 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:42 AM

The first two episodes of The Legend of Korra are streaming on the show's website.

#13 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:49 PM

Watched the first two episodes yesterday, and enjoyed them. The production values are fantastic, and the animation is yet again a nice blend of anime and Western styles. Action sequences were solid and fun -- loved the sequence when Korra took on the gangters -- and I appreciated the thought and details put into the world of the series (like the metal wires that the metalbender cops used to chase after Korra).

I am curious as to how the series will treat the more spiritual aspects of bending. Right now, it clearly seems focused on the awesome, kick-ass aspects of bending, which is understandable. I hope -- and have faith -- that Tenzin is used, not just as some fuddy-duddy buzzkill for Korra's adventures, but as an actual wise, mentor-like individual. I also hope that the series doesn't just stay in Republic City, as interesting as that setting could certainly be. I want to know how the rest of the kingdoms have developed and changed in the last 70 years since the previous series.

All that being said, I think the series is very promising, and I hope they continue to offer episodes online (since I don't have cable TV).

And I wonder, will we ever get a satisfactory answer regarding the fate of Zuko's mom?

#14 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:45 PM

I've posted an extended review of the first two episodes on Opus.

#15 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,370 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

The AV Club has an in-depth interview with Korra producers Michael Dante DiMartino and Joaquim Don Santos.

#16 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 13 April 2012 - 01:50 PM

All that being said, I think the series is very promising, and I hope they continue to offer episodes online (since I don't have cable TV).

I am thinking it will be necessary to purchase the Season Pass from iTunes in order to watch online. That is what I am mulling. The price point ($23 for SD, $30 for cable) is steep but may be worth it.

#17 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:42 PM

Updated the topic's title to include The Legend of Korra, hopefully making it easier to find via search.

#18 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,370 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 09:30 AM

The season finale airs tomorrow. In case you haven't kept up with the series (and it's worth watching), Nick has posted all of this season's episodes.

#19 opus

opus

• Administrator
  • 4,039 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 07:38 AM

Season 2 is on its way, as is the second part of season 1.

#20 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,370 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:19 AM

Season 2 is on its way, as is the second part of season 1.

Hmm, I read an interview with the producers awhile back that said they were excited about working with shorter seasons because it meant no filler episodes.