Photo

G.I. Joe: Retaliation

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,474 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 07:01 PM

Links to our threads and posts on G.I. Joe: The Rise of Cobra (2009), as well as other toy- and game-based films as Battleship, Candyland, Clue, Erector Sets, Magic 8 Ball, Monopoly, Ouija, Risk, Stretch Armstrong and Transformers. To say nothing of the Mr Potato Heads, Barbies and other real-life toys that appear in the Toy Story movies.

Is it safe to assume that Joseph Gordon-Levitt will be back as Cobra Commander? If his contract on the first movie failed to include any sequels, then I imagine it might be difficult to bring him back at an affordable rate, what with his profile being raised by (500) Days of Summer and Inception and all.

- - -

Stephen Sommers to Direct 'G.I. Joe' Sequel
"G.I. Joe" director Stephen Sommers will return to direct Paramount's sequel, an individual familiar with the project has told TheWrap.
There had been some doubts about whether Sommers would be brought back into the "Joe" fold, as there were conflicting reports across the blogosphere last summer that there had been some tension between Sommers and the studio, but the alleged bad blood appears to have been resolved.
Channing Tatum is expected to reprise his role as Capt. Duke Hauser in the sequel, which is still in development at Paramount. . . .
TheWrap.com, August 4

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 13 December 2011 - 01:33 AM.

#2 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,459 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

What is a good month for a "Trash Month?" That's the month when I catch up on all the trash films I want to see just to catch up with the rest of society. I'm thinking February.

GI Joe
Both Transformers cuz I will have to see the third one after all this filming in Chicago
All that Twilight crapola
Maybe the Underworld films which look stupidly kewl
etc etc...
Let me know what else I missed...

#3 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 511 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 04:12 PM

You can probably skip the Underworlds. I wouldn't say they're driving pop culture in any way.

#4 Persona

Persona

• 7,459 posts

Posted 05 August 2010 - 05:16 PM

You can probably skip the Underworlds. I wouldn't say they're driving pop culture in any way.

But it's horror.

If. You. Don't. Know. Me. By. Now....

Maybe crap horror, but that's some of the point of "Trash Month."

#5 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 511 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 01:01 AM

But it's horror.

Er, is it? Admittedly, I've only seen small chunks of the first one. Seemed more action-ey than anything. Darn it, now you're making me want to see them so I can actually know what I'm talking about! ;)

If. You. Don't. Know. Me. By. Now....

These things take time. My one-year is still a few weeks away...Posted Image

Maybe crap horror, but that's some of the point of "Trash Month."

Well if you're going to do it all in one go, could you throw Boondock Saints I and II on there? I'd love to read your reactions to them two.

#6 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:14 AM

The Underworld films are action films using Vampires and Werewolves.

#7 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,409 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:21 AM

But it's horror.

Nah. They're action flicks. They're comparable to the BLADE flicks.

#8 Persona

Persona

• 7,459 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 07:16 PM

Well if you're going to do it all in one go, could you throw Boondock Saints I and II on there? I'd love to read your reactions to them two.

I saw a few minutes of the first one. Let's just leave it at that.

They're comparable to the BLADE flicks.

Hmmm. Those might qualify for a trash month, too.

#9 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,474 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:38 PM

Stephen Sommers won't dress for battle on 'G.I. Joe' sequel
Two agents who represent other filmmakers have said they'd recently been approached about their clients coming on to helm the movie and were told that Sommers would not be getting behind the camera. Paramount declined to comment.
Los Angeles Times, January 5

#10 Persona

Persona

• 7,459 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:53 PM

Aiming for this spring for Trash Month, btw, sometime after we get done with the horror vote. Should be fun.

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,474 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:01 AM

'Justin Bieber' Director Jon Chu Lands 'G.I. Joe 2' Gig
Jon Chu has proven he is a real American hero, snagging the gig to direct Paramount's sequel to G.I Joe: The Rise of Cobra. Chu is now in negotiations to direct the project, currently known simply as G.I. Joe 2.
A slew of helmers were vying for the chance to step into the shoes vacated by Stephen Sommers and right the Joe ship, which was a hit commercially but a flop not only with critics but with fanboys.
As Heat Vision reported last week, Paramount's choice came down to Chu and F. Gary Gray, the man behind Law-Abiding Citizen. Chu's edge was being responsible for Justin Bieber: Never Say Never, Paramount's hit documentary made for $13 million that has grossed over $53 million. Chu also worked quickly to recut the movie for a directors's "fan cut."
Sources say Paramount may find itself recasting major roles. While Channing Tatum is expected to return as Duke, it is unclear if Joseph Gordon-Levitt, whose dance card has filled out considerably since breaking out in Inception, will return as one of the villains. Insiders say Sienna Miller is also unlikely to return, with her Baroness role being recast or perhaps divided into a couple of new characters. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, February 25

- - -

Wait a minute, they didn't have a sequels clause in their contracts with Miller and Gordon-Levitt?

#12 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,030 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 10:02 PM

So long as Snake Eyes' mask doesn't have lips...

#13 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 28 February 2011 - 08:30 AM

Actually, that was true to the action figure, some variations of which had lips.

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,474 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 12:21 AM

Rachel Nichols: "GI JOE 2 News Flash: The only characters to return in the JON CHU directed sequel will be SNAKE EYES, STORM SHADOW, and DUKE..."

#15 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,474 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 03:19 AM

The working title is, apparently, G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes. Does this mean Joseph Gordon-Levitt is coming back?

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 28 April 2011 - 03:20 AM.

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,474 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:26 PM

Dwayne Johnson Circle G.I. Joe 2; Channing Tatum Also Looking Good For Encore
EXCLUSIVE: After seeing his stock rise from starring in Fast Five, Dwayne Johnson is in talks to join another sequel. I'm told Johnson is in discussions with Paramount to join G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes. That's the overhauled sequel that'll be directed 3D by Jon M. Chu, who helmed Justin Bieber: Never Say Never. Johnson's role is a character named Roadblock. I'm also hearing that Channing Tatum is a good bet to return. . . .
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, June 6

#17 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,474 posts

Posted 10 August 2011 - 10:50 AM

Adrianne Palicki Joins 'G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes'
EXCLUSIVE: Friday Nights Lights series star Adrianne Palicki will play the female lead in the Paramount sequel to G.I. Joe: Cobra Strikes. She'll play Lady Jaye and joins a cast that includes Channing Tatum, as well as Dwayne Johnson, who signed on to play the role of Roadblock in the Jon M. Chu-directed film. Ray Park is expected to reprise his Snake Eyes character, Lee Byung-hun is expected to bring back Storm Shadow, and RZA just joined the film. . . . The big question is who Paramount sets in the role of the original G.I. Joe, Joe Colton. I've heard Bruce Willis as a top choice, but last time I checked the studio was eyeing several actors, insiders said. . . .
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, July 1

Bruce Willis Enters Negotiations to Play the Original Joe in 'G.I. Joe 2' (Exclusive)
Bruce Willis in talks to join the cast of Paramount’s G.I. Joe 2: Retaliation, with the veteran action actor marked to play the original Joe.
Willis, if a deal comes together, would play General Joe Colton, the man who in 1980s comic books starts the G.I. Joe strike team, called the ultimate freedom fighting force, and got the handle G.I. Joe. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, August 9

#18 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,474 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 01:34 AM

As I said at Facebook, I know I probably shouldn't care, but it still kind of astounds me how little this sequel seems to have in common with the previous movie.

#19 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,682 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:00 AM

I, uh...*gulp*...kind of think that looks infinitely more watchable than the first one. Not that means it will even be remotely good. Maybe just more watchable.

Is it just me, or does it look like some of the original cast is killed off near the beginning? It also looks like Snakes Eyes lost the ridiculous lips on his costume.

#20 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,771 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 10:41 AM

Is it just me, or does it look like some of the original cast is killed off near the beginning?

Two words: Mortal Kombat.