Photo

US Open 2010

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 236 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 06:48 PM

Thus starts my annual Labor Day fortnight tradition of watching tennis way too late into the night while feeling guilty that nothing else gets done. :)

Anyone else around here a fan?

Y'all just missed a young kid doing a way overblown version of the national anthem.

I miss the days when The Open was on the USA Network, I not a fan on the coverage on ESPN2.

#2 BethDaviesStofka

BethDaviesStofka

• 2 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:23 PM

Count me in as another fan. I'm addicted to all four grand slam tournaments, and my favorite is the Australian Open. The US Open is second. It has nothing to do with the playing surface. It's all about the energies the Aussie and American crowds bring to the matches.

I'm fine with the coverage on ESPN/Tennis Channel, but I really miss Dick Enberg. Is he even there any longer? I know he's calling baseball games, I think in San Diego.

Enberg is an artist. I've never heard another sports caster so effective at catching the magnificence of what we witnessed in simple, yet really adroit metaphor.

This is my first post, by the way. I've been lurking for a few months.

Beth

Thus starts my annual Labor Day fortnight tradition of watching tennis way too late into the night while feeling guilty that nothing else gets done. :)

Anyone else around here a fan?

Y'all just missed a young kid doing a way overblown version of the national anthem.

I miss the days when The Open was on the USA Network, I not a fan on the coverage on ESPN2.

#3 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 236 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:46 AM

Welcome Beth!

Exciting match in the 5th set going on NOW between Monfils and Kendrick on The Tennis Channel.

#4 BethDaviesStofka

BethDaviesStofka

• 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Thank you for the kind welcomes!

I was thinking of you today, LibrarianDeb. Do you have DirectTV? I switched from cable to dish last January and discovered the pleasures of DirectTV's Tennis Mix. It's possible to watch 5-6 matches at one time! I was watching that mix channel today, and noticed that ESPN2 had a whole lot of commercials. The other channels don't have any, which means I watched every time out in the Djokovic/Troicki match today and learned how they ice themselves down to cope with the heat.

Anyway, seeing ESPN fling ads at viewers like that made me dislike their coverage. I also noticed that when WGN airs a baseball game, it runs ads through the first pitch. That's awful. At least no one else does that!

Loved the Baghdadis/Clement match, was absolutely wowed by the way Djokovic survived to play another day, and was sorry as always to see Hewitt go.

Since women's tennis went into power mode, I kind of lost interest. That is, until Stosur came on the scene. I don't know how good she'll ultimately be, but at least it's not a one-woman (Serena) game right now!

:)

Beth

Welcome Beth!

Exciting match in the 5th set going on NOW between Monfils and Kendrick on The Tennis Channel.

#5 J. Henry Waugh

J. Henry Waugh

A Real Reactionary

• 323 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 10:24 PM

Nice to see tennis fans on this forum.

I am actually logging in from Queens, NY on-site at the US Open. I'm here working on the television broadcasts (not with ESPN) and have time to check in because it will be such a late night tonight.

This is my 11th US Open and I actually enjoy working it tons more than when I started. The two week grind used to really get to me but now it just flies by.

Thanks for giving me a chance to spout off. Enjoy the rest of the matches.

Edit: I'd forgotten until after I posted that my avatar picture was taken before the 2002 US Open Final.

Edited by J. Henry Waugh, 31 August 2010 - 10:25 PM.

#6 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 236 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:30 AM

Nice to see tennis fans on this forum.

I am actually logging in from Queens, NY on-site at the US Open. I'm here working on the television broadcasts (not with ESPN) and have time to check in because it will be such a late night tonight.

This is my 11th US Open and I actually enjoy working it tons more than when I started. The two week grind used to really get to me but now it just flies by.

Thanks for giving me a chance to spout off. Enjoy the rest of the matches.

Edit: I'd forgotten until after I posted that my avatar picture was taken before the 2002 US Open Final.

My tix must have gotten lost in the mail.

To answer Beth's question, I get Tennis Channel through Comcast's Expanded Digitial package.

#7 Christian

Christian

• 10,960 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

I'll take this chance to post my one and only link ever to Parade magazine, which had a nice cover story -- the only one I can remember actually reading -- on the friendship between Chris Evert, who's made a wreck of her life, and Martina Navritilova.

I watched many of the Grand Slam final matches between the two back in the day, always rooting for Chris, who fit my idea of "femininity," and despising Navritilova's power game, which usually won out. (Unlike e2c, I find the serve-and-volley style of tennis frustrating to watch, although the massive-serve style of tennis that followed was even worse, both in men's and women's tennis.) But several years ago, after Evert faded and I grew up a little :), I developed a real respect for Navritilova. She is an amazing athlete.

I no longer watch tennis, and haven't played it for years. (I was never very good at it, although I loved the game.) These two women will forever define women's tennis for me.