• Guests

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:25 PM

--content deleted--

#2 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:41 PM

I think Clooney would be an excellent choice. He'd be more believable as a charismatic playboy than Cage. And I would say he's definitely a better actor than Cruise. I wonder if they'd be using the heart trouble and alcoholism.

#3 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 12:25 PM

I *love* Iron Man. As i child i collected this comic more than any other.

I do not like any of the choices so far for Tony Stark. Leonardo is definitely too young. Clooney is too campy. Cruise is too... Cruise. Actually, do you know who really looks more like Tony Stark than anyone else?

De Niro.
user posted image

And not only that, but this guy can much more easily pass for a tormented alchoholic.

-s.

Edited by stef, 17 May 2004 - 12:27 PM.

#4 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,934 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 01:39 PM

QUOTE (Alan @ May 15 2004, 12:44 AM)
"Please God...make sure that the Iron Man armor does not have anything resembling nipples on it"

#5 Russell Lucas (unregistered)

Russell Lucas (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:01 PM

Thanks for that link, Alan.

I own from like issue #215-#250, a few before and a few after.

#6 Russell Lucas (unregistered)

Russell Lucas (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:02 PM

Oh, and the writing of those first few issues, set amidst the Vietnam War, will absolutely curl your hair.

#7 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,934 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:03 PM

I AM familar with the various editions of Iron Man's armor. I'm just sayin', nipple-like nodes on Iron Man's armor aren't the Schumacheresque revisionist abomination that they were on Batman's armor.

#8 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,906 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 04:58 PM

Iron Man was never one of my favorite superheroes. As a member of the Avengers he's good, but his title book has languished in recent years and I'm surprised that they're interested in making a film.

As for armor, here's the version of Iron Man in The Ultimates, which actually quite like.

user posted image

As for Iron Man influencing Darth Vader, nah! Everyone knows that DOCTOR DOOM is the basis for Vader.

#9 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,635 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 05:08 PM

Purely in terms of looking like Tony Stark, it appears that a younger Leonard Nimoy would have been perfect for the role.

In terms of finding a hot, bankable star whose career arc is at the right point, it appears that Viggo Mortensen or Jim Caviezel would be a likely choice.

Cage badly needs a jumpstart role but lacks the charisma for a superhero. Cruise doesn't need a jumpstart role at all. Di Caprio is not aging well, and isn't as predictably bankable as he and his agent might think.

#10 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,309 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 03:36 AM

'Iron Man' attracts May release date
Following in the footsteps of such comic book film openings as "Spider-Man" and "X2: X-Men United," Marvel armored avenger "Iron Man" is staking out an early May release date. The Paramount Pictures and Marvel Entertainment film is scheduled to open May 2, 2008, the studio said Thursday. Directed by Jon Favreau, the project marks the first motion picture to be produced by Marvel under its alliance with the Viacom Inc.-owned studio.
Hollywood Reporter, June 23

#11 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

Favreau answers some questions about Iron Man in a MySpace thread. (Language warning, of course.)

Among elements of the movie:

...putting the origin in the present day, promising there will be a Jim Rhodes, saying he likes Adi Granov's armor design from the "Extremis" storyline and more, including possibly seeing something in time for Comic-Con.

#12 Ron Reed

Ron Reed

Listmaster Extraordinaire

• 3,250 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 08:19 AM

Scanning the list of threads, I thought this was ICON MAN.

Better go back to bed...

#13 Jeff

Jeff

• 844 posts

Posted 26 July 2006 - 01:22 PM

I think Karl Urban would be a darn good choice. He's a great character actor and I'd like to see him get a big role like this.

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,309 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:05 PM

I don't know the character, but as a movie buff with an interest in comics in general, I like Downey enough to trust him as the actor (certainly more than Tom Cruise). The bigger question mark for me is director Jon Favreau (who co-starred in Daredevil, but never mind that) -- can he direct an effects-laden superhero movie and balance it with intimate human elements the way that, say, Sam Raimi's Spider-Man 2 did? Zathura, Favreau's previous effects-heavy movie, was inconclusive on this point.

#15 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,049 posts

Posted 02 October 2006 - 02:07 PM

I have complete faith in Downey Jr. as an actor, and he's great at physical comedy, so he should have an advantage over other actors when it comes to acting in an encompassing costume.

The hard part, I think... and this may be what bugs you, Alan, and maybe not... is that it will be hard for me to accept Downey as a HERO. He's done a good job (with the enthusiastic help of the media) of making his personal life something that's hard to set aside when you're watching him on the screen.

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,309 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:18 AM

Howard a Rhodes scholar
Terrence Howard is set to join Robert Downey Jr. in "Iron Man."
The Jon Favreau-directed film is the first to be coined through a financing arrangement that Marvel Studios formed with Merrill Lynch. Paramount Pictures releases the film May 2, 2008.
Howard will play Jim "Rhodey" Rhodes, the confidante of Iron Man's alter ego, Tony Stark. Rhodes, a high ranking military officer and aviator, steers the team that develops the robotic suit that allows the sickly Stark to fly around and battle bad guys.
In the comic, Rhodes' character gets his own armored suit and evolves into an occasionally antagonistic character called War Machine. That development seems likely to be saved for the sequel, though, as Iron Man will battle villain the Mandarin when shooting begins in February in L.A. . . .
Variety, October 9

#17 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE(Jeffrey Overstreet @ Oct 2 2006, 02:07 PM) View Post

I have complete faith in Downey Jr. as an actor, and he's great at physical comedy, so he should have an advantage over other actors when it comes to acting in an encompassing costume.

The hard part, I think... and this may be what bugs you, Alan, and maybe not... is that it will be hard for me to accept Downey as a HERO. He's done a good job (with the enthusiastic help of the media) of making his personal life something that's hard to set aside when you're watching him on the screen.

I have been thinking about this, and I think this may be a strength for Iron Man. Stark isn't Clark Kent. He's a selfish playboy, and unlike Bruce Wayne, it's not a persona who wears to throw people off the scent. He's a guy thrust into heroism. Which, if the film takes that approach could work effectively or make for a terrible movies.

#18 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:36 PM

FWIW, Downey Jr. never crossed my mind but I think it is the PERFECT choice.

-s.

#19 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 07 February 2007 - 09:55 AM

Been a lot of casting news for this recently. Terrence Howard, Gwyneth Paltrow, and now Jeff Bridges are attached to the film.

#20 edZio

edZio

• New User
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 02:22 PM

QUOTE(Jeffrey Overstreet @ Oct 2 2006, 02:07 PM) View Post

I think that this is the one case that it could work for the role.
While most other celebrities would be haunted by such personal choices (especially if they had well publicized crimes/addictions/intolerance) in the future roles they take, Downey Jr is actually going to be portraying an alcoholic as Iron Man.

His drug additions, knowing that the actor himself has made human mistakes, will help him play the character and even help me believe that he fits the role. A successful famous rich man falling into a downward spiral of addiction....both Downey Jr and the character Tony Stark.