• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,279 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:46 PM

Vulture:

Mirror, mirror on the wall, who’s the unfairest of them all? It's a tough call, because Hollywood's fight over Snow White is getting ugly. A battle between Universal Pictures and the studio's linchpin financier, Ryan Kavanaugh's Relativity Media, is unfolding over their competing efforts to adapt the same fairy tale. What's more, Vulture hears exclusively that Relativity has offered the job of directing its version of Snow White, The Brothers Grimm: Snow White, to Tarsem Singh, the renowned commercials director (of crazy expensive spots like last year’s Britney/Pink/Beyoncé "We Will Rock You" Pepsi commercial) and the guy behind the equally visually wild Jennifer Lopez thriller The Cell. It's unclear whether they'll reach a deal, but talks are proceeding apace.

Um... no mention of The Fall?

Edited by SDG, 31 March 2012 - 07:35 AM.

#2 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 06:59 PM

Um... no mention of The Fall?

Jennifer Lopez is way sexier than Lee Pace.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,808 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

Exactly. Plus, it's generally a good idea to mention the movie that the reader is more likely to have seen. (For every dollar that The Fall grossed, The Cell grossed 27.)

Links to our threads on Once Upon a Time (2011-), Snow White and the Huntsman (2012) and The Order of the Seven (in development).

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 11 November 2011 - 02:49 AM.

#4 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 09:50 PM

It's not that simple. It's really because no one could make it through the suckfest The Fall, but The Cell was intriguing, beginning to end.

#5 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,279 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:09 PM

The Cell is on my short list of films I wish I'd walked out on. I found The Fall dreamlike and fascinating.

#6 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,256 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:18 PM

Am I the only person who liked The Cell and The Fall?

#7 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:22 PM

The Cell is on my short list of films I wish I'd walked out on. I found The Fall dreamlike and fascinating.

The Cell is a great thriller with leanings into horror. Horror has not been one of your specialties.

Probably, yes. The Fall is best kept for little girls and their fantasy worlds. Frankly, I'd rather watch Huston's Annie again. It was deplorable, but at least I made it to the end. (It had a helicopter, if you need the proof.)

Edited by Persona, 12 October 2010 - 10:27 PM.

#8 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,279 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 10:51 PM

I love great horror movies. (That's the subject of conversation at The Kindlings Muse next Monday, where I'll be singing the praises of everything from Silence of the Lambs to Alien to 28 Days Later to Let the Right One In.) The Cell just revels in the grotesque for grotesque's sake. It's needlessly and excessively perverse. And it didn't make me care enough to justify the darkness.

The Fall, on the other hand, while it doesn't all work for me, made me care quite a bit. And it invested its visual creativity in some really wonderful, breathtaking visions.

Edited by Overstreet, 12 October 2010 - 10:51 PM.

#9 Persona

Persona

• 7,463 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 11:04 PM

OK. To which I would say you are prone to steer clear of the grotesque, which is not a big deal as that is the knack or nature of a board like this, and folk like this. But just because something is grotesque does not mean it revels in the grotesque, and just because something is grotesque doesn't mean that a larger strand of story isn't happening. I already know I'm not in heavy agreement on this film, I know we've been through it before. However, I don't place it with the mainstream horror you mentioned, I place it with a film like Irreversible, which is total and utter horror. However I do admit my penchant for the grotesque is higher than most at A&F, and if you don't agree with the categorization, I can understand.

#10 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,130 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 10:28 AM

No, I'm with you, I liked both. But The Fall is the better of the two in my opinion, in terms of sheer beauty and coherence.

#11 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 01:58 PM

And as the Evil Queen ... Julia Roberts?

#12 Cunningham

Cunningham

Easy, Prescient, Interpersonal. Previously Solishu.

• 1,218 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 05:12 AM

And as the Evil Queen ... Julia Roberts?

Perfect.

#13 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 26 March 2011 - 12:44 PM

Armie Hammer Set To Play Prince & Saoirse Ronan In Talks For Relativity's Snow White
EXCLUSIVE: Saoirse Ronan could be cast opposite Armie Hammer in Relativity's The Brothers Grimm: Snow White that's an revisionist adult retelling of the fairy tale from director Tarsem Singh. Armie Hammer, fresh off The Social Network, has closed a deal to play Prince Andrew Alcott in the pic. But Ronan (Atonement, and the upcoming Hanna) is still only "in discussions" for the title role. . . .
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, March 26

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 02:15 AM

Lily Collins Confirmed as Tarsem Singh's Snow White!
The film will eschew the traditional story in favor of a more modern tale full of comedy and adventure. After her evil stepmother kills her father and destroys the kingdom, Snow White bands together with a gang of seven quarrelsome dwarfs to reclaim what is rightly hers. . . .
Collins, the daughter of Grammy-winning artist Phil Collins and who starred in The Blind Side, can next be seen on the big screen in Priest and Abduction. She will head into production on Screen Gems' The Mortal Instruments, in which she will play the lead role of Clary Fray, after wrapping "Snow White."
ComingSoon.net, April 1

#15 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,634 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 11:12 AM

Sean Bean joins cast as Snow White's father.

#16 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,808 posts

Posted 16 July 2011 - 04:42 PM

Baal_T'shuvah wrote:
: Sean Bean joins cast as Snow White's father.

My first thought on hearing this news: Doesn't Snow White's father die at the very beginning of the story?

My second thought: Boy, Sean Bean sure plays a LOT of characters who die.

Mere hours later -- and I swear, this was a complete coincidence -- Entertainment Weekly happened to post the following clip, which went up on YouTube a few days ago and features 21 death scenes starring Sean Bean:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEhtsgu6bJg

#17 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,279 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:09 PM

Posted Image

Oh dear.

#18 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,500 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 12:28 PM

Yuck.

#19 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,857 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:44 PM

Oh, come on, guys. That costume is totally Tarsem Singh's version of the Wicked Queen. Didn't you see The Fall? Don't be such wet blankets ;)

#20 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,279 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:06 PM

These "first-look" slideshow images are not making me any more interested in this.