• Guests

Posted 15 May 2004 - 04:09 PM

--content deleted--

#2 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 11:50 AM

IPB Image

Cool. Contemporary Asian cinema is not usually Criterion's forté.

#3 Sundered

Sundered

• 228 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 12:45 PM

Wow! I'm absolutely thrilled to see that Criterion has picked up this film! This movie was one of the first movies I watched due to reading the reviews of Jeffrey Overstreet (I e-mailed him to ask if there was inappropriate material!), and I fell in love. At the time, I related with the young boy within an overwhelmingly female peer-group, but the careful observation of each character proves enriching upon every re-viewing.

#4 Doug C

Doug C

• 1,564 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 01:18 PM

That's great. Yeah, I'm glad this film will finally get a good region 1 release and a little more exposure. But of course, the film buff in me partly wishes Criterion would have released any number of highly-praised Yang fims that aren't available, like A Brighter Summer Day (only available as an Asian VCD) or A Confucian Confusion.

It's their first Taiwanese film, too, so I wish they had included a documentary or something on one of the most highly acclaimed national cinemas of recent years. (Something like Hsiao Chu-Chen's Our Time, Our Story: 20 years' New Taiwan Cinema.)

But I know, I know...I shouldn't complain. wink.gif

#5 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,114 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:33 PM

Just finished watching this one yesterday, which took me three sessions because of its length and density. Came out concluding that its a mixed bag - not surprising, considering how extraordinarily ambitious it is.

Some of the moments left me thinking, "How true!" Especially those involving the young boy, who is clearly a stand-in for the filmmaker himself. The story arc involving his older sister and her abortive romance, however, seemed "off" - I couldn't really follow why he left his girlfriend, and then left her for the previous one, and then
Spoiler
That storyline, I feel, should have been more developed, or left out entirely.

This was also yet another fine, insightful movie, where I feel like a lot of the conflicts would be solved by a little less silence, a little more attempt at communication. Especially in the case of the father of the family, who keeps his love at a distance until finally
Spoiler
That was pretty stupid! What was she thinking?

The blurb which Alan linked to mentioned subtle significances in the music, which I completely missed - someone care to explain a bit further?

Edited by GreetingsEarthling, 31 May 2006 - 03:34 PM.

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,866 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 01:48 AM

Taiwanese Director Yang Dies at 59
Edward Yang, who won best director in 2000 at the Cannes Film Festival and was known for his realistic portrayals of modern Taiwan, has died of complications from colon cancer, a film industry consultant said Sunday. He was 59.
Associated Press, July 1

#7 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,793 posts

Posted 01 July 2007 - 02:35 AM

Oh, this is going to hurt for a long, long time.

I have been longing for a new film from Yang. I am so grateful to him for Yi-Yi.

Does anyone know... was he working on another film? Has he made anything since Yi-Yi?

What a poet he was. What a humble, gracious, insightful man he seemed through his storytelling.

#8 Christian

Christian

• 10,472 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 01:44 PM

Jeffrey: Don't know if you already know this, your eulogy has been picked up at the House Next Door.

EDIT: Also, looking at Jim Emerson's blog, he highlights the DVD availability of what Jonathan Rosenbaum refers to as Yang's greatest film.

Edited by Christian, 02 July 2007 - 01:50 PM.

#9 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,793 posts

Posted 02 July 2007 - 02:15 PM

Wow. Cool. I just need to find out which of the two DVD editions mentioned is superior....

#10 du Garbandier

du Garbandier

Dull in a new way

• 352 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:50 PM

I think of this movie often and fondly. That is all.