Photo

Allo Darlin'

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:14 PM

I'm usually ambivalent about political elections. I'm not about this one. I'm despondent. The only thing that is helping is London-by-way-of-Australia twee band Allo Darlin', a more upbeat Camera Obscura. They quote Johnny Cash, Weezer, and Doris Day. Que sera sera. What will be will be. I need to remember, that, especially today. They sound great, by the way. I'd vote for them.

#2 Christian

Christian

• 10,882 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

[post deleted; need to set an example!]

Edited by Christian, 02 November 2010 - 03:12 PM.

#3 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

[post deleted; need to set an example!]

That's a good example. For what it's worth, my comments have nothing to do with one particular party or another. A pox on both their houses. Or the House and Senate. I can't stand the lot of them. But I like Allo Darlin', and the lead singer would probably make a better-than-average politician.

Edited by Andy Whitman, 02 November 2010 - 03:30 PM.

#4 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:34 PM

Andy-This is my favorite release of 2010. I've been geeking out on it since May when I grew tired of waiting for it's domestic release. I'm a big fan of the whole twee/indie-pop genre and I think this is one of the best in genre in some time. The songwriting is top-notch. Full of joy, exuberance and humor. It avoids most of the cutesy-cliches that give the genre a bad name. And when they do use them (see "Kiss Your Lips") their utter ubsuberance comes off as sincere, transcending it to new heights.

Furthering my love, I saw them play last weekend and they seriously brought it. It didn't matter that there was 65 people in attendance. They played like 300 or 3000. When they sang the refrain to "Silver Dollars" ("we do it/because we love it"), it was the truest sentiment that they could have offered.

Don't miss out on this album.

EDIT:

Parenting a pre-schooler and a new-born has kept me a from posting as much as I'd like. There's been a ton of great indie-pop this year that I'd love to showcase. But suffice to say, this is the tops.

Edited by Kyle, 02 November 2010 - 04:36 PM.

#5 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

Andy-This is my favorite release of 2010. I've been geeking out on it since May when I grew tired of waiting for it's domestic release. I'm a big fan of the whole twee/indie-pop genre and I think this is one of the best in genre in some time. The songwriting is top-notch. Full of joy, exuberance and humor. It avoids most of the cutesy-cliches that give the genre a bad name. And when they do use them (see "Kiss Your Lips") their utter ubsuberance comes off as sincere, transcending it to new heights.

Furthering my love, I saw them play last weekend and they seriously brought it. It didn't matter that there was 65 people in attendance. They played like 300 or 3000. When they sang the refrain to "Silver Dollars" ("we do it/because we love it"), it was the truest sentiment that they could have offered.

Don't miss out on this album.

EDIT:

Parenting a pre-schooler and a new-born has kept me a from posting as much as I'd like. There's been a ton of great indie-pop this year that I'd love to showcase. But suffice to say, this is the tops.

It's a pretty wonderful album, Kyle. It sags a little toward the end (just a bit), but the first half of the album, and especially the first three songs -- "Dreaming," "The Polaroid Song," and "Silver Dollars" -- is everything that is great about pop music; breezy melodies, witty lyrics, chiming guitars, a serious backbeat, and songs about being young, full of life, and in love with music. Plus, they rhyme "platonic" and "gin and tonic" while the guitars play the riff from Van's "Brown Eyed Girl." I think I'm in love. Phileo, not eros.

With the exceptions of Camera Obscura and Belle and Sebastian, I can take or less most Twee stuff. But this is top notch. I like it very much.

#6 Hugues

Hugues

• 944 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 07:41 PM

I have it. It may have the ugliest cover art of the year, too.

#7 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 07:32 AM

I can see why you'd think it sags some in the second half. Songs 8 ("Lets Go Swimming") and 10 ("What Will Be Will Be") are, in my opinion, the worst of the bunch which makes it dip a bit at the end. "What Will Be Will Be" is especially slight and gives a bit of a let down feel. But they are sandwiched by the boisterous "My Heart is a Drummer" and the first seven tracks are so fantastically great it makes up for it.

Has anyone heard their single "Henry Rollins Don't Dance"? Might be the best song in their small arsenal. Catchy, dancey, and fun as I'll get out. Sample lyric: "Henry asked the DJ to play some Abba Dude/and he raised his tiny fist to 'Dancing Queen' ".

#8 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:39 AM

For what it's worth, I've come to the conclusion that this is probably my favorite album since Camera Obscura's Let's Get Out of This Country. If you factor in live performances, it's even got than one beat. That's high praise coming from me.

I've embedded the official video for fourth single "My Heart is a Drummer". It captures the essence of the band. You might find it cloying and overly cute. In that case, they're not for you. You might find it joyful and celebratory. And the the "live" performance at the end: that's what they're like live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57eii7Bdf3g

#9 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,252 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 11:47 AM

The naked dancing heart guys in that video are seriously creepy.

#10 Joel

Joel

• 764 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:14 AM

I also really love this record. Definitely on my best of list. I only listen to like 5 new records a year, but this one is really good.

#11 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 17 July 2011 - 11:06 AM

You can pre-order Allo Darlin's new 7" at their bandcamp site. An order now ensures an instant download of the A-side "Darren" with the assurance that you'll receive a link to the b-side "Wu-Tang Clan" when it becomes available.

As for the song: "Darren" is an homage to the great indie-popster Darren Hayman. And there are no hidden messages: it's simply an ode to the joy of listening to great records. In this case that would be Darren Hayman. Have I mentioned how much I love Allo Darlin's lack of pretension. They strike me as people who simply love life and like writing songs and singing about it.

Oh, and the song is ace too. For this one, they've turned down the ukulele and turned up the amps. It's probably the most rock song in their arsenal. It's also an amazing slab of craftsmanship. Allo Darlin' know how to write a hook. "Darren" is remarkable in that it saves the big payoff for the back third of the song. It's sort of like a great meal with an even better desert. Kudos to Allo Darlin' for this one. Oh, and you can listen to the whole song at the aforementioned site.

The b-side, "Wu-Tang Clan" is a Darren Hayman cover. I've never heard the original.

I might also mention: look for a new album in early 2012. They originally hoped to have one in 2011 and even recorded 11 songs for it. But they'd like to have 4 or 5 more. So 2012 it is. I'm guessing they'd like to have a few more songs in the bag so they can pad the thing with more 7" singles like they did with their debut.

#12 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:38 AM

Allo Darlin's new album Europe is out today. If you liked the first, self-titled album, you'll like this one as well. There's not much difference between the two. And that's not really problematic. If you like impossibly infectious, breathy girl pop a la Tallulah Gosh or Heavenly (or Leslie Gore or Petula Clark for that matter), you'll like this. It's on the decidedly good side of pop.

#13 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 02:30 PM

Well of course I've listened to this one. And of course I like it. I was a bit worried that the extra time in the studio and added professionalism would detract from the lofi charms of their debut. My worries were unnecessary. It's a classic indie pop album.