16 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,068 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:43 PM

This is a show I need to start watching, on the basis of this clip alone:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFIQIpC5_wY

Comedy series starring Steve Coogan and Rob Brydon. Steve agrees to review six restaurants in the north of England and takes Rob with him

So, you've seen the clip about Michael Caine. Here's one on Ray Winstone.

Edited by Overstreet, 09 November 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#2 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,325 posts

Posted 09 November 2010 - 07:45 PM

Just a warning: watching this clip is a bit of a thunder-stealer. The series was cut down to a 90-film, which I saw in Toronto. It's a lot of fun, but, except for a scene involving a long improvisation about Braveheart, the Michael Caine impressions are the funniest bit in it.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,336 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:20 PM

Overstreet wrote:
: So, you've seen the clip about Michael Caine. Here's one on Ray Winstone.

"Not available in your area". So BBC clips play in the States but not in a fellow member of the Commonwealth? That's insane.

#4 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 508 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:07 PM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cmjiK0pDDc"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=6cmjiK0pDDc[/url]

#5 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,068 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:11 PM

Argh, they cut that clip right before the best part, when the waiter comes back!

#6 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 508 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:32 PM

This one has it.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSWSth29MSM"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xSWSth29MSM[/url]

#7 Nick Alexander

Nick Alexander

White Knight

• 1,819 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 10:32 AM

Saw this last night. Avoided all previews and spoilers and went into it fresh. Hilarious. Also a foodie's delight. And quite poignant in spots (love the "eulogy" scene).

#8 Stephen Lamb

Stephen Lamb

• 312 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 09:20 PM

Saw this last night. Avoided all previews and spoilers and went into it fresh. Hilarious. Also a foodie's delight. And quite poignant in spots (love the "eulogy" scene).

The movie version? It's coming to Nashville this week, and I'm really hoping to make it out to see it the beginning of next week. I've been looking forward to it for a while. Are the t.v. episodes available anywhere?

#9 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,730 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:07 AM

Apparently the Bama theater in Tuscaloosa has an "Art Film" night every Tuesday (coming up: Beginners and Submarine!). As a result, I was able to see the film version of this yesterday. I enjoyed it for most of its runtime. It's funny and humane in a way that few comedies, even very good ones, are. But that ending.... Well. It's piercing and painful and made me want to find a nice dock to walk off. Definitely not uplifting in the way that, say, Tristram Shandy: A Cock & Bull Story (my only other Coogan experience) was.

#10 Christian

Christian

• 10,720 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:27 PM

I'm glad I hadn't seen this thread before watching the film version of The Trip last night, although just now I enjoyed viewing the clips posted here and reliving some of the film's great moments. Got a feeling I'll be watching this one again soon.

#11 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,541 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 09:25 PM

The movie is available now on Netflix streaming.

#12 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,336 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:50 PM

Baal_T'shuvah wrote:
: The movie is available now on Netflix streaming.

But not in Canada (or anywhere else outside the U.S.?).

Alas, I do think we have to be more careful or particular about such announcements these days, given that Netflix is spreading to country after country, each with its own set of distributors.

#13 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,068 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 11:52 PM

What I want is the entire television series to become available on Netflix Instant. The movie is just a "best-of" reel.

#14 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,541 posts

Posted 31 December 2011 - 11:43 AM

What I want is the entire television series to become available on Netflix Instant. The movie is just a "best-of" reel.

So do I. Hopefully, once this version has played for a bit, they'll decide to release the whole series. Does anyone know if the film version was released anywhere other than North America? FWIW, I enjoyed what I got (I watched it last night after posting it was available on Netflix), but having seen so many clips from the series I began anticipating what would come next, only to be disappointed that certain scenes were suddenly chopped down. For instance, the green liqueur "snot" aperitif scene drops the Ray Winstone sputum imagery, I presume because not enough folks in North America know who Ray Winstone is. Overall, it was a pleasant film that had me laughing quite a bit. I wonder how closely this mirrors Coogan and Brydon's actual relationship. Brydon seems like someone you'd really enjoy having a relaxing pint with, whereas having a pint with Coogan might be more taxing on a person.

Baal_T'shuvah wrote:
: The movie is available now on Netflix streaming.

But not in Canada (or anywhere else outside the U.S.?).

Alas, I do think we have to be more careful or particular about such announcements these days, given that Netflix is spreading to country after country, each with its own set of distributors.

I say "announce away". I'd like to know what others are getting to see that I'm missing here if, for no other reason, than to be able to pester Netflix and film distributors to make more product available to a wider audience.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 31 December 2011 - 12:08 PM.

#15 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,717 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 11:03 AM

Saw this last night. Had no idea it was cut down from a tv series, but that explains a bit why it seemed to not have as much momentum as I would have liked to have seen. It felt about twenty minutes too long. But if it was originally six hours or so, then that makes a little sense--cut down from the episodic to the film product, of course its rhythms falter a bit. Enjoyable, I liked how the molecular gastronomy mirrored Coogan's pretension and lack of self-confidence, as if the food wasn't sure what it wanted to be, so the chemistry tried to dress it up more than it was. Seemed to be a nice metaphor about the artistic life Coogan envisioned contrasted with Brydon's more realized, fulfilling craftsman's life.

#16 Timothy Zila

Timothy Zila

edgeofthecity

• 343 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 02:42 AM

Just finished the film tonight, and it's definitely one of my 2011 favorites.

I also think it serves as a good counterpoint/comparison to Certified Copy. If that sounds crazy, just bear with me for a moment.

This is doubtless accentuated by the fact that I started The Trip no more than a half hour after finishing Certified Copy. Still, for all their differences, the films have a lot of similarities. They both involve some sort of 'tourism' - although it's a little bit of a stretch to apply that word to what happens in Certified Copy, whereas it fits like a glove in The Tourist.

Both films revolve almost entirely around two characters talking and otherwise interacting with each other.

Both are reflections on meaning/family/marriage (although Certified Copy is considerably more philosophical and nuanced).

And I immensely enjoyed both films: Certified Copy becomes exhilarating after the revelation or twist (although, alas, I knew about it beforehand), and The Tourist is probably the most consistently funny film I've seen in, well, . . . longer than I can recall. And it's quite poignant and smart, as well.

#17 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,541 posts

Posted 15 January 2012 - 12:03 PM

Just finished the film tonight, and it's definitely one of my 2011 favorites.

I also think it serves as a good counterpoint/comparison to Certified Copy. If that sounds crazy, just bear with me for a moment.

This is doubtless accentuated by the fact that I started The Trip no more than a half hour after finishing Certified Copy. Still, for all their differences, the films have a lot of similarities. They both involve some sort of 'tourism' - although it's a little bit of a stretch to apply that word to what happens in Certified Copy, whereas it fits like a glove in The Tourist.

Both films revolve almost entirely around two characters talking and otherwise interacting with each other.

Both are reflections on meaning/family/marriage (although Certified Copy is considerably more philosophical and nuanced).

And I immensely enjoyed both films: Certified Copy becomes exhilarating after the revelation or twist (although, alas, I knew about it beforehand), and The Tourist is probably the most consistently funny film I've seen in, well, . . . longer than I can recall. And it's quite poignant and smart, as well.

I'm pretty positive that the few places where you refer to The Tourist you meant to write The Trip. Don't get me wrong, I've heard from several reliable people that The Tourist is quite funny, just not intentionally. ;)