Photo

2001: A Space Odyssey

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:30 PM

That has to be the worst thing I've ever heard. And as a former musician, I've heard some pretty bad things over the years.

It did make me laugh though, a long extended LOL.

#22 old wave

old wave

• 117 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:34 PM

Pomo aesthetics at its most parody-worthy, decadent and ridiculous. The musical equivalent of people who call Ed Wood a genius or call for the canonization of I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE.

Really? I think it's too tongue-in-cheek and funny for that. They released an single called "Classical Muddly", after all. I wouldn't take too much of their ethos from the tone of the wikipedia article.

#23 Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown

• 23 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 11:11 PM

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpFQLw5_N2o"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=wpFQLw5_N2o[/url]

Sounds like something that would happen if you took Hans Zimmer away from the synthesizer.

#24 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,536 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 05:52 PM

2001: A False Flag Odyssey

I'm not sure that I buy a lot that is in this essay, but I will say that the author of this break down of the symbolism of 2001 sure has put a lot of time into it, and it makes for an interesting read.

There are some fascinating aspects, such as the flipped imagery that occurs in quite a few places onboard the Discovery One (I just watched this again last night, and caught this myself. Can't believe I hadn't picked up on it before now).

Posted Image

Notice how the cryogenic chambers in shots 1 & 3 don't match up in shots 2 & 4 - as though Frank has turned in mid-run - although the scene is presented in the establishing shot that he is making complete circuits in one direction. The author has a unique explanation for this (one that goes quite beyond a lapse in continuity).

I think the author's ideas reach a little too far in his explanation of what the monolith around Jupiter actually is. And I don't buy his conclusions as to the final ten minutes. But, I guess that's why this is such a fascinating film. Generates a lot of different perceptions.

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 24 July 2011 - 09:07 PM.

#25 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 326 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 06:25 PM

I bought 2001: A Space Odyssey about a year and a half ago when HMV had a "two movies for $20" sale (I also purchased The Dark Knight). I watched 2001: A Space Odyssey because I knew it was a classic but me, I found it incredibly boring. I just had a conversation with a friend who couldn't get past the twenty minutes of monkeys at the beginning.

#26 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,367 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:18 PM

2001: A False Flag Odyssey

I'm not sure that I buy a lot that is in this essay, but I will say that the author of this break down of the symbolism of 2001 sure has put a lot of time into it, and it makes for an interesting read.

It's way off-base insofar as it reads Kubrick's actual intentions. Kubrick's intentions with 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY are not some nebulous, ambiguous void; despite his dislike for interpreting his own work, he nevertheless did enough of that in interviews and conversations that his ideas regarding 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY are available to any curious reader, provided said reader is not afraid of a little research.

Of course, Kubrick designed 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY in such a way that a singular interpretation would never cover all the bases, and that it could support different readings. But nevertheless, I'm always inclined to react against interpretations of his work that treat them as puzzles to be solved, using minutae as the keys to reading the film (a good deal of scholarship surrounding THE SHINING and EYES WIDE SHUT has made far too much of far too little).

#27 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,415 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:48 PM

Good heavens, yes. If a sizable percentage of the claims about references made in 2001 to classic myth, general history, and philosophy are true, then Kubrick was the smartest man or most educated that has ever lived.

#28 Tyler

Tyler

I right the outlaw wrongs on Mars.

• 6,053 posts

Posted 31 August 2012 - 02:09 PM

#29 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,715 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSGsh9so_dA&feature=

Film School Rejects imagines how the 2001 trailer might look if it were made today.

Unfortunately, they're off the mark. There are way too few Inception-style blares.

#30 Tyler

Tyler

• 6,053 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 07:25 PM

I think their point is that's how the trailer would look today, not how it should look.

But that trailer is about as far off what 2001 really is as that trailer that makes Shining into a romantic comedy.

#31 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,294 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:19 PM

The long out-of-print The Making of Kubrick's 2001, edited by Jerome Agel, is now online.

#32 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,294 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 10:19 PM

A 70mm print of this film is playing at the Cinerama theatre in Seattle three times, I think, this month, and I'm giving some thought to going. (Saturday September 21 would probably be my best bet.) Anyone want to join me there, tempt me with your presence, etc.? (Maybe I should start an A&F Meet-up thread?)

#33 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,294 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 12:57 PM

Richard Brody @ New Yorker:

The New York Philharmonic’s live performance last Friday night of the music to Stanley Kubrick’s “2001: A Space Odyssey”—played in sync to the movie projected on a screen suspended over the orchestra—proved to be surprisingly revelatory. Any shift of context has a way of refocussing attention. I’m reminded of the delightful shock of first seeing a movie on VHS, which turned out to be very different from watching a movie broadcast on television, because it offered the possibility of manipulation: freeze-frame, slow motion, fast-forward, and rewind. So it was on Friday: Kubrick’s movie, which I hadn’t seen since college and always recalled with slight derision for its dated paranoid bombast, came to immediate life, as if it were a painting stripped of darkened varnish and rendered contemporary again. It was the music that effected this change, starting with the excerpt from Ligeti’s “Atmosphères.” Employed as an overture, it immediately sets a very high bar for the artistic originality required for the movie not to wither and shrink from the screen in full public view. . . .

#34 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,831 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 09:18 PM

The Movie That Influenced Kubrick’s 2001  .  Which is of course further proof.

#35 Tyler

Tyler

• 6,053 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 10:27 PM

Which is of course further proof.

Only 1 in stock! Act now!

#36 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,831 posts

Posted 31 October 2013 - 11:10 PM

Which is of course further proof.

Only 1 in stock! Act now!

I bought one for a friend who moved to Canada awhile back.  It's fun.

#37 Tyler

Tyler

• 6,053 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 03:51 PM

The Dissolve's Noel Murray: "In the comic-book pages of 2001, two sorts of genius collided."

It's about Jack Kirby's comic-book adaptation of 2001, which became a 10-issue series.

#38 andrew_b_welch

andrew_b_welch

• 262 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Glenn Kenny on the music of 2001: A Space Odyssey. It's the second part in a four-part series on how Kubrick used music.

#39 Tyler

Tyler

• 6,053 posts

Posted 14 February 2014 - 11:29 AM

Glenn Kenny on the music of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Every time I see Glenn Kenny's name, I have to remind myself, "He's not the Spongebob guy."