Stephen King

What a horrid list.

#3 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 08:18 AM

Stephen King

What a horrid list.

It's got a few ringers on it, but I agree on his #1 -- for now.

#4 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,266 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 02:17 PM

Huh. Nicely crafted as it was, I still couldn't escape the sense that most of Let Me In's highlights were carry-overs from the original, and I still much prefer it. Where did Let the Right One In place on Stephen King's list from the year of its release?

#5 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:07 PM

Huh. Nicely crafted as it was, I still couldn't escape the sense that most of Let Me In's highlights were carry-overs from the original, and I still much prefer it. Where did Let the Right One In place on Stephen King's list from the year of its release?

It wasn't on his 2008 or 2009 lists.

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,785 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 04:32 PM

Overstreet wrote:
: Where did Let the Right One In place on Stephen King's list from the year of its release?

It didn't.

#7 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,266 posts

Posted 26 November 2010 - 06:02 PM

It wasn't on his 2008 or 2009 lists.

Sigh. Just as I thought.

#8 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 04:08 PM

King's Top 10 lists, including the 2010 list, have plenty of duds. That seems more relevant to discrediting King's placement of the film at number 1, if that's what you want to do, than does the fact that he didn't put the original on his 2008 list. I imagine Todd McCarthy has seen the original film, yet he names the remake as among the year's best films:

In going over my personal list of the year’s best so far, it strikes me that, to an inordinate degree, the good films were what are often called “festival films;” all but one, in fact, made their debuts at festivals, not in commercial release. In no special order, these films include “A Prophet” (shown in Cannes 2009 but not opened in the U.S. until this year), “Animal Kingdom,” “The Kids Are All Right,” “Let Me In,” “Winter’s Bone,” “Enter the Void,” “The King’s Speech,” “North Face” and, a bit below those, “Blue Valentine,” “Black Swan” and “Please Give.”

#9 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,497 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 06:48 PM

Perhaps, but McCarthy's does strike me as being on the uninspiring side. That said, I haven't seen LET ME IN. I know some people loved it and others were less stirred by it. Given that I only like--not love--the original, I'm not too bothered to check it out.

#10 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 27 November 2010 - 11:03 PM

FWIW, Let Me In may have just been dethroned as the year's best film for me. I'll have to see if my insta-reaction to tonight's screener holds up.

#11 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,266 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:40 PM

Is this the thread for Awards as well as Critics' Lists?

Last year's similar thread was titled: "2009 Critic Lists, Award Lists, MCN, etc."

Whatever the case:

The National Board of Review goes for The Social Network and Of Gods and Men.

Note: LESLIE MANVILLE!

Edited by Overstreet, 02 December 2010 - 05:41 PM.

#12 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 10:50 PM

Is this the thread for Awards as well as Critics' Lists?

Last year's similar thread was titled: "2009 Critic Lists, Award Lists, MCN, etc."

I thought I had checked the earlier-year thread to match the title for this year's thread, but I think I blew it. I've changed the thread title to match the title of last year's thread you mentioned.

#13 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,266 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:16 PM

Well, this is a surprise: The International Documentary Association has given its top award to... Waste Land!

#14 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 04 December 2010 - 09:36 PM

Very cool link, Jeffrey! It also lists the nominees for the Washington Area Film Critics Association awards. I submitted my vote within the last hour. I had no idea the nominee list was posted anywhere other than on our voting page.

#15 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 06 December 2010 - 08:25 AM

The Washington Area Film Critics Association

Jennifer Lawrence!

Melissa Leo and Christian Bale for The Fighter!

Edited by Christian, 06 December 2010 - 08:25 AM.

#16 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,248 posts

Posted 07 December 2010 - 05:41 PM

Sight & Sound's list.

Top 5:

1. The Social Network
2. Uncle Boonmee
3. Another Year
4. Carlos
5. The Arbor

#17 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 03:35 PM

Anthony Lane

#18 Brian D

Brian D

• 177 posts

Posted 08 December 2010 - 05:31 PM

Anthony Lane

I always find Anthony Lane fascinating to read, despite the fact that even in his top 10 lists he seems to be afraid to say he really (without reservations) liked something!

#19 Overstreet

Overstreet

• 17,266 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 01:20 PM

Richard Corliss, TIME, picks Toy Story 3.

Also mentions Never Let Me Go, Four Lions, and Rabbit Hole!

Edited by Overstreet, 09 December 2010 - 01:23 PM.

#20 Christian

Christian

• 10,875 posts

Posted 09 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

David Denby names his favorites, then concludes by mentioning a few films he couldn't stand:

The big-deal aesthetic disasters include the tiresome, flat, and repetitive “Alice in Wonderland”; the absurdly overelaborate and empty “Inception,” which is like a giant clock that displays its gears and wheels but forgets to tell the time; and “Black Swan,” an example of the higher trash, and a movie perfect, I’m afraid, for young women who never recovered from reading Sylvia Plath. “Black Swan” asks the least appealing question of the year: “Am I good enough—to die?”