Photo

2011 GRAMMYS

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 01:55 PM

The Atlantic reminds me that the GRAMMY nominations were just announced. I learned from the article that a Glee cast recording of "Don't Stop Believing" was a big hit, although I've never heard it. That's not the only nominated song I've never heard, but I didn't click through to see the full list of nominees. Hey, I could provide that link here, couldn't I?

Oh, look: Arcarde Fire. I guess that we means we have to take these nominations seriously -- at least as seriously as we've taken that CD.

EDIT/UPDATE: Esperanza Spalding! The voters are forever going to try to live down that Milli Vanilli nod by nominating decent artists in the same category, I guess.

The Country albums include some strong contenders.

As of last week, I own one of the Best Jazz Instrumental Album nominees!

Patti Griffin!

And, as usual, the Americana nominees outdo all other categories. (Says the guy who hasn't heard 95% of the nominees across all categories.)

Edited by Christian, 02 December 2010 - 02:02 PM.

#2 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,238 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 05:34 PM

EDIT/UPDATE: Esperanza Spalding! The voters are forever going to try to live down that Milli Vanilli nod by nominating decent artists in the same category, I guess.

Nothing against Esperanza (I like her), but she's nominated in the New Artist category. For her third album. Her first was recorded in 2005. Sigh. I hate the Grammys.

#3 Scholar's Parrot

Scholar's Parrot

The Best You Ever Had

• 358 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:32 PM

Why isn't Janelle Monae up for, like, everything? I figured that would fall squarely in GRAMMY territory.

#4 Josh Hurst

Josh Hurst

Already broken for thee.

• 5,116 posts

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:06 PM

Why isn't Janelle Monae up for, like, everything? I figured that would fall squarely in GRAMMY territory.

I thought the same thing about the Elton/Leon album. Two veterans? Big comeback album? Americana? T-Bone? Come on!

#5 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,206 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 12:26 PM

Colbert's Grammy votes. Also in the video, The Black Keys and Vampire Weekend compete in a sellout-off.

#6 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:22 PM

Who will tank at the GRAMMYs Sunday night? (I voted for Barbra Streisand, just because.)

#7 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:31 PM

Are the Smack EYed Bees playing there? If so just go out to the mountains like Jeffrey :D

#8 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,206 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 03:35 PM

Who will tank at the GRAMMYs Sunday night? (I voted for Barbra Streisand, just because.)

Cee-Lo Green and Gywneth Paltrow with the Jim Henson Company puppets

Why have I not heard about this before?

#9 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,461 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 04:53 PM

Could it be because you have taste?

#10 LibrarianDeb

LibrarianDeb

• 232 posts

Posted 08 February 2011 - 07:25 PM

Or go out and see some good live music. The husband and I are going to Peter Mulvey in Evanston.

#11 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:09 PM

I don't have time to watch the clips to confirm that they're as good as claimed, but these are supposedly "the top five most unexpectedly great Grammy performances of the past 25 years.

Edited by Christian, 09 February 2011 - 01:09 PM.

#12 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,468 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 01:34 PM

Because life isn't fair.

#13 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 12:30 PM

Bob Dylan will perform on the show.

#14 Holy Moly!

Holy Moly!

• 876 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 01:40 AM

Will the Soy Bomb guy be appearing?

#15 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 14 February 2011 - 02:37 PM

One of my Facebook posts that got no response during the GRAMMYs had to do with Lady Antebellum's "tribute" to Teddy Pendergrass. Forget the idea of three white people trying to pay tribute to a soul singer; the trio actually did surprisingly well harmonizing (that's what they do best) on their opening selection of the "tribute" -- the chorus of "If You Don't Know Me By Now," which I didn't know Pendergrass ever sang. But it sounded nice.

Why do I keep putting "tribute" in quotes? Because we were told that Lady A would be "mixing in" some of their own hits. Which they did, three times in succession, right after that opening chorus.

And then the "tribute" to Pendergrass was over.

Did no one else found this disgraceful?

I hate to harp. Actually, I LOVE to harp. But I also try to find things about these awards shows that I enjoy. Like the folk tribute with Bob Dylan. Or even the choreography to Lady Gaga's performance of her new single (hey, I'm easy when it comes to synchronized dance moves).

But I had to turn the show off after the "tribute." I'm a semi-fan of Lady A., but puh-leeze.

Edited by Christian, 14 February 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#16 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 11:18 AM

Dang, this is informative, funny, rather brief: an all-around good read.

Now, the real surprise at the Grammys was the album of the year win to The Suburbs by the Arcade Fire. This was truly a landmark—a critically acclaimed album by a young rock band. The Grammys are quite good with black artists. Many signal albums, from Fulfillingness' First Finale to The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill, from Thriller to Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, have won in this category.

For white rock? Not so much. Traditional rock bands rarely win record of the year. In the 50-plus-year history of the award, it has happened but six times, counting the Arcade Fire's win this week.

Even the stodgy academy couldn't refuse Sgt. Pepper a Grammy, almost 45 years ago. That stood as a very unusual award—while we think of Sgt. Pepper today as being rather late in the band's career, the Beatles had only been around a few years at the time.

It would be ten years before a major record by a major band won again: Fleetwood Mac's Rumours, in 1978. About a decade after that came a record of the year win for U2's The Joshua Tree, in 1988.

The other winners? One was the imaginatively entitled IV by the faceless sessions musicians d.b.a Toto (remember them?) in 1983. And for some unaccountable reason, U2 won again, in 2006, for How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb.

(Funny stuff not excerpted, BTW)

#17 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:36 PM

Music Exec Slams Grammys

Why? Because they don't honor the most popular nominees.

Veteran marketing and music executive Steve Stoute lashed out at the Grammys and the National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences Sunday in a full-page newspaper advertisement, admonishing the organization for losing touch with contemporary pop culture and failing to acknowledge the talents of hugely successful artists like Justin Bieber and Eminem.

Stoute’s ad, which appeared in the New York Times, also criticizes the “over-zealousness to produce a popular show that is at odds with its own system of voting,” and how artists like Eminem and Bieber — who were snubbed for Album of the Year and Best New Artist, respectively – are still called upon to goose ratings for the show. Both artists performed at the 53rd annual awards fête on Feb. 13, which attracted 26.7 million viewers - - the show’s largest audience since 2001.

To further his argument about how NARAS is out of touch, Stoute — who is best known for once managing the rapper Nas — also took issue with how Kanye West’s Graduation was beaten out for Album Of The Year by Herbie Hancock’s River: The Joni Letters during the 50th Annual Grammys, and how Steely Dan triumphed over Enimem in 2001. “While there is no doubt in my mind of the artistic talents of Steely Dan and Herbie Hancock, we must acknowledge the massive cultural impact of Eminem and Kanye West and how their music is shaping, influencing and defining the voice of a generation,” wrote Stoute, who as the CEO of the marketing company Translation, works with recording artists to find advertising opportunities in the corporate world. (For more about Stoute, check out this profile in Time from last year).

I, for one, thought it was very cool that Steely Dan won Album of the Year. I hadn't heard it at the time it won, and although I'm a fan of the band, wasn't exactly blown away by the CD when I finally gave it a listen. But maybe they were overdue. Or not. Still, the idea that it's laughable that a veteran "rock" act wins a Grammy for Best Album is kind of appalling to me. With movie awards, people are often honored for lesser performances/films and given career awards. Yes, it's frustrating, but it's also kind of understandable. Often these folks have been shut out for earlier, more worthy efforts, and their peers are playing catch-up. Viewers and fans are left to argue the merits of the individual performance or work, but it just doesn't work that way.

As for Herbie Hancock, that win was wild. I like Hancock's most popular CDs from decades ago. Never been a Joni Mitchell fan. And, when I caught up with Hancock's tribute CD, was unmoved. But how cool was it that a jazz artist won Album of the Year? Never happens. First time in, like, 50 years that it had happened, right? And yet there's great "danger" in honoring said album at the expense of much more commercially successful artists of the moment.

Tough nouggies. Them's the breaks. Bieber and Eminem will get more moments in the sun, probably when they're well past their primes (is Beiber already there?). I'm not sure there's anything more to be said on the matter, but chime in if you feel strongly about this.

Edited by Christian, 21 February 2011 - 12:37 PM.

#18 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,206 posts

Posted 21 February 2011 - 12:56 PM

Didn't the director of Norbit once make the same kind of argument about movies?

#19 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 01:37 PM

Huh.

The Grammys are about to get a lot more competitive: The Recording Academy is reducing the number of categories by more than 30. ...

The Academy says male and female vocal categories in fields like pop, R&B and country are among those being removed. Men and women will now compete in one overall field.

#20 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:18 PM

I won't bother launching a new thread for the 2012 GRAMMYS, but I plan to watch tonight's broadcast. I find myself kind of excited about seeing whether Adele is back in full voice.

I'm not sure what's nominated in which category, but Click Track has several links I'll be checking out in the next 40 minutes.

EDIT: I knew several categories were handed out ahead of time, but BEST POP ALBUM has already been handed out? Seems like a major category. Yeah, I know they cut down the number of awards to be broadcast during the telecast, and that I've linked to stories about it. But seeing some of what's already been handed out before the show is kind of shocking.

EDIT II: Best New Age Album -- Pat Metheny :huh: I'm not shocked -- he's straddled the line between jazz and new age before, but I'm thinking of albums from the 1980s and early '90s! Haven't heard this one, but I trust it's appropriately classified.

Edited by Christian, 12 February 2012 - 07:28 PM.