Photo

Most Anticipated Films of 2011

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 387 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 04:41 AM

News of McCarthy's Win Win got me wondering what y'all are looking forward to next year.

A couple others that have me excited:

The Future, dir. Miranda July
The Tree of Life, dir. Terrence Malick

EDITED to add:

Nénette
Certified Copy
Meek's Cutoff

Edited by yank_eh, 26 March 2011 - 01:36 AM.

#2 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,230 posts

Posted 21 December 2010 - 07:44 AM

The films I want to see the most (though I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of what films will be released in 2011):

BRIGHTON ROCK, dir. Rowan Joffe
CONTAGION, dir. Steven Soderbergh
FAUST, dir. Alexander Sokurov
GOD OF CARNAGE, dir. Roman Polanski
THE GRAND MASTER, dir. Kar-Wai Wong
HUGO CABRET, dir. Martin Scorsese
IMMORTALS, dir. Tarsem Singh
THE WAY BACK, dir. Peter Weir

On the more blockbuster-y side of things, I have a passing interest in X-MEN: FIRST CLASS, if only because of the film's attempt 1960s spy flick atmosphere. I can see Matthew Vaughn having a lot of fun with that.

Edited by Ryan H., 21 December 2010 - 07:46 AM.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,846 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Jeffrey Wells is dreading next year's releases.

Cartoon Brew has a list of the upcoming major-studio animated films.

#4 MattPage

MattPage

Bible Films Geek.

• 4,187 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:44 PM

MIssed the chance to see "the way back last week"; my most hotly anticipated is True Grit. Differing release dates between the US and UK are odd sometimes...

#5 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,230 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 09:27 PM

Jeffrey Wells is dreading next year's releases.

I dunno. I think it stands to be a more interesting year for movies than 2010 turned out to be.

#6 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,889 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 01:51 PM

(First, the two 2010 movies that apparently almost none of us have been allowed to see.)

The Way Back - Peter Weir
Lucky Life - Lee Isaac Chung

Then, in order as far as I can tell, I'm marking my '11 calendar with -

The Adjustment Bureau - George Nolfi (3/4) - Matt Damon, Emily Blunt, John Slattery
Super - James Gunn (4/1) - Rainn Wilson, Liv Tyler, Ellen Page, Kevin Bacon, Nathan Fillion
Your Highness - David Gordon Green (4/8) - Danny McBride, Natalie Portman, James Franco, Zooey Deschanel
Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - Rob Marshall (5/20) - minus Bloom & Knightley, add Ian McShane & Stephen Graham, equals I'm sold
The Tree of Life - Terrence Malick (5/27) - Brad Pitt, Sean Penn, Jessica Chastain
X-Men: First Class - Matthew Vaughn (6/3) - James McAvoy, Michael Fassbender, Kevin Bacon, January Jones, Rose Byrne, Jennifer Lawrence
Fright Night - Craig Gillespie (8/19) - Anton Yelchin, Colin Farrell, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, David Tennant
The Three Musketeers - Paul W.S. Anderson (10/14) - Logan Lerman, Matthew MacFadyen, Ray Stevenson, Christolph Waltz, Milla Jovovich
The Thing - Matthijis van Heijningen Jr. (10/14) - Joel Edgerton, Mary Elizabeth Winstead
Immortals - Tarsem Singh (11/11) - Henry Cavill, Freida Pinto, Mickey Rourke
Hugo Cabret - Martin Scorsese (12/9) - Asa Butterfield, Chloe Moretz, Ben Kingsley, Emily Mortimer, Sacha Baron Cohen, Christopher Lee
Sherlock Holmes 2 - Guy Ritchie (12/16) - Robert Downey Jr., Jude Law, Rachel McAdams, Jared Harris, Noomi Rapace, Stephen Fry

No release dates yet, but should still also be released in 2011 at some point -

Brighton Rock - Rowan Joffe, w/ Sam Riley, Andrea Riseborough, Helen Mirren, Andy Serkis, John Hurt
Cogan's Trade - Andrew Dominik, w/ Brad Pitt, Sam Rockwell, Casey Affleck, Mark Ruffalo, Javier Bardem, (Bill Murray?)
Coriolanus - Ralph Fiennes, w/ Ralph Fiennes, Gerard Butler, Vanessa Redgrave, Brian Cox, Jessica Chastain
Machine Gun Preacher - Marc Forster, w/Gerard Butler, Michelle Monaghan, Michael Shannon, Souleymane Sy Savane
Meek's Cutoff - Kelly Reichhardt, w/Michelle Williams, Bruce Greenwood, Paul Dano, Zoe Kazan
The Mill and the Cross - Lech Majewski, w/Rutger Hauer, Charlotte Rampling, Michael York, Joanna Litwin
Looper - Rian Johnson, w/ Bruce Willis, Joseph Gordon Levitt, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano
Pina - Wim Wenders
Poetry - Lee Chang-dong, w/ Yoon Jeong-hee
The Rum Diary - Bruce Robinson, w/ Johnny Depp, Aaron Eckhart, Amber Heard, Giovanni Ribisi
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - Tomas Alfredson, w/ Gary Oldman, Benedict Cumberbatch, Tom Hardy, Colin Firth, Ralph Fiennes
Twixt Now and Sunrise - Francis Ford Coppola, w/ Val Kilmer, Elle Fanning, Joanne Whalley, Ben Chaplin

Edited by Persiflage, 04 February 2011 - 02:34 AM.

#7 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 16,789 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:09 PM

If I made a list, Meek's Cutoff would be near the top.

#8 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 2,889 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 02:28 PM

If I made a list, Meek's Cutoff would be near the top.

Edited to include Meek's Cutoff and Poetry.

I've got to the point where the discussions at A&F pretty much determine my film selections for each year. So making a list like this helps me.

#9 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,516 posts

Posted 18 January 2011 - 06:46 PM

Persiflage, it's uncanny how closely your list parallels mine. I'm also at least mildly interested in:

The Lincoln Lawyer (March 18)[No real reason here, though]
The Green Lantern (June 17) [May be stupid, probably will be stupid, but that trailer eats up the big screen]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (December 21) [I know, I know]
Tintin (December 23) [Steven Moffat and Edgar Wright on the screenplay--that's enough to allow me to overcome the, um, lackluster look of the thing]

But the one I'm most giddily excited for, because of the enormous loads of talent involved, is Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I'm eager for it to get a release date.

EDIT: Ryan H.:

BRIGHTON ROCK, dir. Rowan Joffe

Forgot that one. Yes.

Edited by NBooth, 18 January 2011 - 06:47 PM.

#10 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 2,889 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:29 PM

Persiflage, it's uncanny how closely your list parallels mine. I'm also at least mildly interested in:

The Lincoln Lawyer (March 18)[No real reason here, though]
The Green Lantern (June 17) [May be stupid, probably will be stupid, but that trailer eats up the big screen]
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (December 21) [I know, I know]
Tintin (December 23) [Steven Moffat and Edgar Wright on the screenplay--that's enough to allow me to overcome the, um, lackluster look of the thing]

Judging by that avatar of yours, our tastes in film are probably quite similar indeed.

However, while The Lincoln Lawyer and The Green Lantern may be innocent enough diversions, I fear Dragon Tattoo and Tintin may be aesthetically damaging experiences for you.

#11 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,516 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 07:53 PM

Tintin looks terrible, don't get me wrong. I hate the look of most mo-cap stuff. But...it's Steven Moffat and Edgar Wright on the script. I love those guys. Particularly the Grand Moff. So I'm trying to keep an open mind on the subject. (I'm reading the original graphic novel of The Secret of the Unicorn now and I'm very curious to see what kind of spin they put on it).

Edited by NBooth, 19 January 2011 - 07:54 PM.

#12 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,843 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:03 AM

I grew up reading Tintin. My love for Tintin goes back to when I had just learned to read. I have even read the unfinished Hergé story, TINTIN AND ALPH-ART, and some of his non-Tintin books. Suffice to say, THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN is my most anticipated film of the year.

#13 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,230 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

TINTIN looks wretched.

#14 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 03:55 PM

I grew up reading Tintin. My love for Tintin goes back to when I had just learned to read. I have even read the unfinished Hergé story, TINTIN AND ALPH-ART, and some of his non-Tintin books. Suffice to say, THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN: THE SECRET OF THE UNICORN is my most anticipated film of the year.

Right there with you. Even down to et l'alph-Art. I hope we will be rewarded.

#15 yank_eh

yank_eh

• 387 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 03:29 AM

Just heard about this documentary, Nénette, about an elderly Orangutan and zoo-goers' perceptions of her, by the maker of To Be and To Have. It was a 2010 film in France but just got to North America recently.

Has anyone seen anything else by Nicolas Philibert? I count To Be and To Have as one of my all time favorites but haven't seen anything else by him.

#16 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,428 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:12 AM

Just heard about this documentary, Nénette, about an elderly Orangutan and zoo-goers' perceptions of her, by the maker of To Be and To Have. It was a 2010 film in France but just got to North America recently.

Has anyone seen anything else by Nicolas Philibert? I count To Be and To Have as one of my all time favorites but haven't seen anything else by him.

Yeah, this was one of the first I noticed at EUFF this year, playing in their fest. Unfortunately it's only on dates where I can't get to it. I hope it goes wide, or at least "artsy wide."

Edited by Persona, 04 March 2011 - 09:54 AM.

#17 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:43 AM

TINTIN looks wretched.

Based on the handful of pictures that have been released?

#18 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,230 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

TINTIN looks wretched.

Yeah. Which, admittedly, isn't much to go on. Hopefully the film itself will be better than what those stills have me expecting. Tintin deserves a really great adaptation.

Edited by Ryan H., 04 March 2011 - 11:54 AM.

#19 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,516 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:33 PM

TINTIN looks wretched.

Yeah. Which, admittedly, isn't much to go on. Hopefully the film itself will be better than what those stills have me expecting. Tintin deserves a really great adaptation.

There's a kind of stiffness to the character-shots that have been released (perhaps they're unfinished?) that doesn't do much to inspire hope. Other aspects (the screenwriters, some of the other talent involved) might tip it over the opposite direction, but one does have to wonder--if those shots are meant to be representative of the movie, what are we meant to expect besides a jaunt through Uncanny Valley?

#20 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:41 PM

I get that those pictures have not inspired much confidence, but I hate to dismiss a movie, or worse, reject it, based on a few pictures that are distributed a year before the actual film hits the theaters. (Not to say that anyone here has rejected or dismissed it yet.)