King James Bible

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#21 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,813 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 07:48 PM

I like the KJV. I certainly don't study out of it. I collect translations as a hobby in order to overcome my lack of facility in Greek and Hebrew.

Pretty much my POV as well. I grew up with the KJV--it was my first Bible (which I still own, BTW, complete with a few pressed flowers from 5th grade and a lot of interesting underlining), but I refer to several other translations for study now.

#22 Andy Whitman

Andy Whitman

• 3,234 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 07:46 AM

I like the KJV. I certainly don't study out of it. I collect translations as a hobby in order to overcome my lack of facility in Greek and Hebrew.

Pretty much my POV as well. I grew up with the KJV--it was my first Bible (which I still own, BTW, complete with a few pressed flowers from 5th grade and a lot of interesting underlining), but I refer to several other translations for study now.

Re: interesting underlining, my first Bible as a proper "Born Again" Christian was of the New American Standard variety (Penteoostal Blood Red cover, of course). Apparently the Word of God, when encountered in written form for the first time, made quite an impression. Virtually the entire New Testament is underlined. And apparently as a way of differentiating the merely astounding from the astoundingly important, I also used a series of exclamation points (!!!) to indicate when I was duly impressed. One exclamation point meant "Wow!" Two exclamation points meant "Oh wow! Wow!" And three exclamation points must have meant something like "Take me home now, Jesus!!!" and/or "Now it's time for glossolalia!!!" I don't particularly want to go back to that time, but I sometimes wish I still had those fresh eyes.

Edited by Andy Whitman, 06 January 2011 - 07:47 AM.

#23 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 04:36 PM

Re: interesting underlining, my first Bible as a proper "Born Again" Christian was of the New American Standard variety (Penteoostal Blood Red cover, of course). Apparently the Word of God, when encountered in written form for the first time, made quite an impression. Virtually the entire New Testament is underlined. And apparently as a way of differentiating the merely astounding from the astoundingly important, I also used a series of exclamation points (!!!) to indicate when I was duly impressed. One exclamation point meant "Wow!" Two exclamation points meant "Oh wow! Wow!" And three exclamation points must have meant something like "Take me home now, Jesus!!!" and/or "Now it's time for glossolalia!!!" I don't particularly want to go back to that time, but I sometimes wish I still had those fresh eyes.

I sympathise. I still have my first serious KJV Bible and use it quite a bit. A good old fundie black leather Thompson Chain Reference. Its downside is the notes I made at the time on issues the gulag obsessed over. I look back today and am impressed with the sophistry mascarading as sincere wisdom on various lifestyle choices of the time (music, hair, "seperateness" in general). I am still impressed with how the Thompson seems to collate the scriptures in such an efficient and analog way.