• 3,723 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 02:40 PM

This is the best conversation I've ever read.1

1(online)

#22 Russ

Russ

• 1,113 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

You can joke all you want, but tonight Leary and I, despite being separated by thousands of miles, will at the same time be reading to our daughters from The Monster Manual, as well as other selections from the oeuvre de Gary Gygax, in a sad attempt to implement this puberty-delaying strategem.

#23 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 16 February 2011 - 06:45 PM

And, I have been producing a series of manuals that reconfigure classic Gygax characters into WoW-based fantasy versions of Berenstain Bears - The Spooky Old Tree and Amelia Bedelia Goes Camping.

Later comes a series of atomopunk campaigns based on Little House on the Prairie. All I have to say is Jon Edwards is not who he appears to be, and may have a few time and gender-bending tricks up his sleeve when it comes to retrieving that radiation-proof bolt of calico from Mankato.

One copy of Berenstain Bears: $3.99
A handful of rpg dice: $26.00
Totally awkward abstinence: Priceless

Edited by M. Leary, 16 February 2011 - 07:06 PM.

#24 Russ

Russ

• 1,113 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 07:01 AM

This just gets better and better.

#25 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:50 AM

The midget living in the stacks of rebar above the stable will give you a map to the secret entrance to the saloon for two pieces of candy. On the way to the shop to buy the candy, stupid Albert drops your coin into a storm grate next to the boardwalk. If you don't find the secret entrance to the saloon, you will not be able to obtain the silk pantaloons that Jon Edwards needs to disguise himself on the way to Mankato. Without the radiation-proof bolt of calico from Mankato, you will not be able to craft armor for Fallout Zone B6.

It is Laura's turn. What do you do?

In your bag is: one piece of twine, three bird wings, one piece of gum, Pa's rifle, a bag of dog sausage, one unsigned deed to six hectares of land in Fallout Zone B6, embalmed Pa

Laura chooses to combine gum + string. Combining successfully creates gumstring.

Laura chooses to lower gumstring into grate.

Roll

Laura successfully retrieves the coin by attaching gumstring to coin and pulling it out. However, after pulling out the coin, she drops gumstring back into the grate by accident. One piece of twine and one piece of gum are no longer in your bag.

(Ed. note: This is based on an actual Little House episode.]

Edited by M. Leary, 17 February 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#26 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 08:29 PM

I really, really wish I had some awesome to contribute to this, but I don't.

#27 Russ

Russ

• 1,113 posts

Posted 17 February 2011 - 10:39 PM

Don't feel bad. He left me in the dust, too.

#28 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:13 PM

See, it works. You hit a point where people just start to slowly. walk. away.

#29 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 18 February 2011 - 02:23 PM

See, it works. You hit a point where people just start to slowly. walk. away.

Or, in my case, fabricate a story about creating a Shadowrun campaign based on Electric Company episodes.

#30 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:31 AM

I have more of the LHoP campaign pending. Will post regardless of interest. If you guys have suggestions re: char sheets, please submit them. All armor is staged according to half-life.

#31 Russ

Russ

• 1,113 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

I hate to interrupt Mike's performance art, but I have to report back how much we love this game. When I asked my daughter Virginia if she wanted to do something together last night, she suggested we play "Ticket to Ride." She'd played it just once before-- last weekend-- but had a command of the game directions that was much better than mine. The application of geography here should end up being way more effective than my own past efforts in helping the kids understand what is where.

Is the Euro version just the same game with a different map?

#32 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:45 PM

I hate to interrupt Mike's performance art, but I have to report back how much we love this game. When I asked my daughter Virginia if she wanted to do something together last night, she suggested we play "Ticket to Ride." She'd played it just once before-- last weekend-- but had a command of the game directions that was much better than mine. The application of geography here should end up being way more effective than my own past efforts in helping the kids understand what is where.

Is the Euro version just the same game with a different map?

I know Ticket to Ride: Europe has new stuff like train stations and tunnels, and the Marklin version (I've played that one the most) has passengers (which are very tricky and devious). I don't know much about the other expansions. I know the 1910 one is supposed to be good and inexpensive.

As for the original, FINALLY got around to playing it with my wife. She liked it, but didn't like how violently competitive she became. I might have to wear a helmet next time.

#33 Andrew

Andrew

And a good day to you, sir!

• 2,246 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

My kids have the original, Europe, and Marklin versions - IMO, there's enough differences in gameplay, plus cool board and card design, to make all three worth having.

#34 CrimsonLine

CrimsonLine

Man of Yesterday

• 1,994 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

When we play Ticket to Ride: Europe, we always use the Dice Expansion - it really helps speed along what can be a very long game.

#35 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 11 March 2011 - 02:46 PM

If your Ticket to Riding ever gets stale, you can always pick up the Alvin & Dexter expansion to inject some...thing into it.

From what I've read, it's not necessarily a bad expansion, just a strange one. As one board game podcaster put it, "Maybe Alan Moon needed a new car."

#36 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,528 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

RPG kids for 2.99 download.

#37 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,723 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 03:33 PM

By the way, this thread exists. It needs some love.

#38 Russ

Russ

• 1,113 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:15 PM

Bumping this thread just because M. needs to add another installment.