Photo

The Killing

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

Baby, things will be better in Chicago...

• 320 posts

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:55 AM

AMC's new show, The Killing, starts April 3, 2011.

Apparently, it is based on a Danish TV miniseries.

According to AMC, the show:

ties together three distinct stories around a single murder including the detectives assigned to the case, the victim's grieving family and the suspects. Set in Seattle, the story also explores local politics as it follows politicians connected to the case. As the series unfolds, it becomes clear that there are no accidents; everyone has a secret, and while the characters think they've moved on, their past isn't done with them.

A TV show about the murder investigation of a young woman in the Northwestern United States...now, where have I heard that before...

To be fair, I think the Twin Peaks similarities end there. I'm definitely looking forward to this show, but sad that it is pushing Breaking Bad into AMC's summer slot.

#2 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 301 posts

Posted 19 February 2011 - 03:06 AM

I've only seen the brief trailers for the show but AMC consistently produces quality series (although I wasn't too fond of Rubicon).

#3 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,518 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 10:43 AM

Cinema Blend has a review of the premier:

The acting here is top notch, especially from Enos and Kinnaman as the two detectives. Enos beguiles not with traditional overdone sexiness, but with an earnestness that is backed up by her practical ponytail. Don't mess with a woman who wears her hair in a ponytail, she's probably smarter than you and is certainly more atune to her surroundings. Kinnaman plays off of Enos quite well, and brings a subtle intelligence to the role that isn't initially noticed. While the murder mystery aspect of the series is a little paint by the numbers, the fresh perspective of showcasing how everyone deals with it provides The Killing with a hook that makes the show worth taking a look at. It may be a little cold and calculating for some, but this is a show that builds steadily and intensely. Just a few episodes in and you’ll want more than anything to know what happens next.

#4 Kyle

Kyle

this is not a test

• 1,652 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

I don't have much more to say than I really enjoyed the first two episodes. Alot. As in I'm totally hooked. Thankfully, both itunes and amazon carried the first two episodes for free since we don't have AMC at our house. The wife and I liked it enough that we're going to do the Season Pass thing that we had to do with Mad Men.

I can get the easy comparisons to Twin Peaks: both take place in the Northwest. Both shows are put in motion by the unexpected murder of a high school student. Both shows are primarily about the investigation. Both are marketed as a whodunnit, "who killed ...?"

But beyond that they end: Twin Peaks took place in a small town, the Killing takes place in Seattle. This totally changes the dynamic. Twin Peaks has a quirky outsider leading the investigation. The Killing has two local detectives. Actually, the opposite approaches of the detectives is more similar to the X-Files than Twin Peaks. Twin Peaks, from the beginning, was fully of quirky outlandish characters and absurd humor. The Killing is much more realist in its approach. The characters are much more believable as people.

And it's that last point that got me hooked. Don't get me wrong, I love the whodunnit aspect, but the acting has been tremendous. They make you believe the characters you're watching are real people with real motives, real grief, real lives.

I'm excited to see how this one plays out.

Did anyone watch the original Danish version? I've heard they've adapted it liberally to avoid any spoilers.

Edited by Kyle, 09 April 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#5 wmadjones

wmadjones

• 44 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

I also loved the first two episodes (last night's is till on my DVR awaiting a free hour this week). The scene where they found the daughter nearly had me in tears (and I don't cry often with TV/movies).

I'll also be interested to see if the crucifix tattoo has any spiritual significance for Holder, or if it's a side effect of his undercover days. Linden seemed to mock it briefly, but she has that world-weary look of someone who's seen too much evil to believe anymore.

#6 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,518 posts

Posted 09 May 2011 - 10:11 AM

I just managed to watch the first episode, and I've got to echo the praise this is getting. I won't have much more to say until I managed to squeeze in a few more episodes (and since the internet is still spotty in my area, that might be a while). It's nothing like Twin Peaks, though; if anything, it's closer to British shows like Luther or Collision, with its deadpan (and depressed) characters and its cold look (it also looks very Danish--which is understandable, I suppose).

#7 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

• 320 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 09:02 AM

Still enjoying this show, but my enthusiasm is waning a bit. Several of the episodes lately have just been kind of...um...dull. The quality of writing and acting is always good, I just find myself getting a little bored at times. And as well as the actors playing Rosie's parents can act, seeing them mourn week after week is just a bit draining. And I'm a little annoyed at how they keep finding excuses for Linden not to catch her flight or to stay for just a day longer. Also, my prediction for the killer:
Spoiler

Kind of hoping some things get shaken up a bit heading into the final stretch of the season.

#8 Christian

Christian

• 10,470 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 10:48 AM

I thought this review would further excite me about seeing this show, but instead, it, ummm, "killed" my enthusiasm.

#9 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,449 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 06:04 PM

Still enjoying this show, but my enthusiasm is waning a bit. Several of the episodes lately have just been kind of...um...dull. The quality of writing and acting is always good, I just find myself getting a little bored at times. And as well as the actors playing Rosie's parents can act, seeing them mourn week after week is just a bit draining. And I'm a little annoyed at how they keep finding excuses for Linden not to catch her flight or to stay for just a day longer.

This is one aspect of a show that, while not shown in "real time" like 24, is close enough to it that the performances have to be handled in the manner they are. I too was getting a little peeved at the prolonged anguish of the parents, but looking back at the story arc, only a small amount of time has passed on the show. I mean, the parents only picked out Rosie's casket in episode 4, an act that usually takes place a day or two after a death... That's something that I was dealing with for my dad the day after he died. So, while five or six weeks have passed for us the audience, we are watching a story that has only taken place for maybe a week.

Passage of time has been a bit confusing for me, or perhaps not strongly handled by the shows editors. An early episode (2 or 3) had mom's breakdown in the bath tub. She's shown going into the bath tub, while the boys are hanging around around the kitchen. The story shifts to the investigation, which seemed to cover quite a bit of time, going from location to location to interview suspects and track down leads. Then to the political subplot for some more intrigue there. Cut back to the Larsen house... kid's still hanging around the kitchen... dad walks in and ask what they had for dinner, and where mom's at. They respond that they haven't eaten yet, and that mom's in the tub. That was one long bath!

I've stopped making plans to watch the show when it's aired, and have decided to DVR it. I like it well enough, but I think it may play better in one long sitting. Much the same as my experience with HBO's Band of Brothers.

#10 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 301 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:41 AM

I still enjoy the show and look forward to it each week. And considering the absolute massacre of television shows on the major networks (V, No Ordinary Family, The Event, etc...) it's one of the few shows that's kept on going.

My prediction for the killer is:
Spoiler

#11 wmadjones

wmadjones

• 44 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:02 PM

Still a couple of weeks behind, so I'll have to wait on my killer prediction (since whatever I think has probably already been ruled out by new developments).

I'm with Baal, though, that I have to remind myself each time that only a few days have passed in the story's world. It has helped to watch a couple of episodes in a row with DVR, though. But the bleakness makes it hard to watch more than a couple at one time anyway. Need a break after two hours of good, but downbeat material.

#12 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2011 - 11:06 PM

I missed an episode or two, but one thing I really like is the way they're handling sin and forgiveness. So many characters are begging for it and not a lot is being given out. Not because these people are particularly awful--they're not particularly anything--but the audacity and commitment to forgivness isn't something taken on lightly.

Is Seattle really that dreary at times?

#13 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,449 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

Is Seattle really that dreary at times?

If you're talking about the weather... yep.

If you're talking people, all I can say is that they weren't too forgiving of Californians when I lived there in the early 90's. Too many of us moving up there in a short period of time. When I went to apply for a driver's license, the girl at the desk asked what state I was coming from. I told her California, and she rolled her eyes and said, "Ugggh... figures." Now, that could be taken one of two ways, I guess. One: She hated all the influx of Californians. Two: Just a typical DMV attitude that can be found in all 50 states. :P

#14 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,518 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:40 AM

You who are more caught up--is this a fair reading?

"How 'The Killing' Killed Itself"

Watching the first season of "The Killing" has been a uniquely weird experience, like watching the first season of "Homicide: Life on the Street" morph into "Scooby Doo." I can't think of another American crime drama that started so strong and imploded so quickly.

See also: the AV Club's review of the latest episode, which begins:

Remember, if you can, way back in April 2011 when we all worried The Killing was going to be a tepid version of Twin Peaks?

If only.

I'm several weeks behind (catching up on Amazon Unbox) and find myself very disheartened by word of recent episodes....

#15 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 23 May 2011 - 09:47 AM

Yeah, it has been slowly sliding of the rails. Rubicon began to do this in the final two episodes. It is just unfortunate that The Killing started that direction this soon.

#16 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

• 320 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 10:03 PM

Yeah, I agree. I read both of those reviews and they summed up my feelings perfectly. The show has fallen into a predictable and bland 24-esque routine. Raise a suspect or issue in the last few moments of an episode and then eliminate them in the first ten minutes of the next episode. MZS's point in the Salon article about the absurdity of the coincidences in the most recent episode is right on, this formerly smart show is now insulting our intelligence. They have spent a good deal of time on the political story, and I fear that that entire aspect of the show may have little to do with the ending.

Most damning for me is that I really don't know much more about any character than I did two episodes into the season. A show that is this light on plot, must make up for it with character development. But they typically give us neither. I'll keep tuning in, hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Spoiler-y quote from AV Club review (OK to read if you are caught up on the show):

Spoiler

-------------------------------------------

Yeah, it has been slowly sliding of the rails. Rubicon began to do this in the final two episodes. It is just unfortunate that The Killing started that direction this soon.

Yeah, The Killing is definitely sliding sooner and faster. I'm still a sad about Rubicon's cancellation.

Edited by Gavin Breeden, 24 May 2011 - 10:03 PM.

#17 winter shaker

winter shaker

Bazooka Babushka

• 301 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 01:37 AM

Hmm, I have the opposite reaction to the newer episodes; I found Rubicon lethargic from the start (I made it through maybe half the season?). I know that none of the "obvious" suspects are Rosie's killer but I don't mind them dragging the murder investigation out. I think the last three episodes should be great.

#18 Gavin Breeden

Gavin Breeden

• 320 posts

Posted 19 June 2011 - 11:09 PM

Well, that was the worst season finale ever. And, by the looks of my twitter feed, I'm not alone in that belief.

I'll come back tomorrow with more thoughts. But right now my biggest complaint is that "Rubicon" got cancelled and this got renewed?!?!

AMC is certainly not infallible.

#19 John Drew

John Drew

• 3,449 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 07:31 AM

Well, that was the worst season finale ever. And, by the looks of my twitter feed, I'm not alone in that belief.

I'll come back tomorrow with more thoughts. But right now my biggest complaint is that "Rubicon" got cancelled and this got renewed?!?!

AMC is certainly not infallible.

This finale made me angry that I wasted any time watching the series in the first place. The final five miutes seemed entirely tacked on, and I wouldn't be surprised if the renewed for next season factor played a major part in it. Awful! And just when I thought there was no chance that last nights other major disappointment, Falling Skies, could be topped.

#20 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,942 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:31 AM

The actual reason for the finale worked out like it did was that the Danish series had 20 episodes, AMC had 13.