The Kennedys (2011 Miniseries)

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,166 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:03 AM

Whoa. I always enjoy filming attempts on American and political history, but hadn't heard about this from anywhere. An 8 hour miniseries on the Kennedy family? Yes, please.

Joe Kennedy Sr. - Tom Wilkinson
JFK - Greg Kinnear
Jackie Kennedy - Katie Holmes
Robert Kennedy - Barry Pepper

Why the hell not? Pepper as Bobby Kennedy sounds pretty badass actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGf8pWpZ35k"]http://www.youtube.c...h?v=HGf8pWpZ35k

But, um ...

In a surprise move, A&E Television Networks has canceled plans to broadcast The Kennedys, the ambitious and much-anticipated miniseries about the American political family that was set to air this spring on the History channel. “Upon completion of the production of The Kennedys, History has decided not to air the 8-part miniseries on the network,” a rep for the network tells The Hollywood Reporter in a statement. “While the film is produced and acted with the highest quality, after viewing the final product in its totality, we have concluded this dramatic interpretation is not a fit for the History brand.”

The multi-million dollar project—History and Lifetime president and general manager Nancy Dubuc's first scripted miniseries at the network and its most expensive program ever—has been embroiled in controversy since it was announced in December 2009. Developed by Joel Surnow, the conservative co-creator of 24, along with production companies Asylum Entertainment and Muse Entertainment and writer Stephen Kronish, the project drew fire from the political left and some Kennedy historians. Even before cameras rolled, a front-page New York Times story last February included a sharp attack from former John F. Kennedy adviser Theodore Sorensen, who called an early version of the script “vindictive” and “malicious.”

History and parent A&E said at the time that the script had been revised and that the final version had been vetted by experts. Indeed, the script used in production had passed muster with History historians for accuracy. Despite the controversy, History was able to recruit a big-ticket cast to the project, announcing in April that Greg Kinnear (John F. Kennedy), Katie Holmes (Jackie Kennedy), Barry Pepper (Robert F. Kennedy) and Tom Wilkinson (Joe Kennedy) would co-star. The actors and CAA, which reps both Kinnear and Holmes, were told this afternoon of the cancellation. Surnow also was told today. No advertisers had registered complaints or concerns with the miniseries, confirms an A&E spokesperson, but the content was not considered historically accurate enough for the network’s rigorous standards. So an air date, which had not been announced but was planned for spring, was scrapped. “We recognize historical fiction is an important medium for storytelling and commend all the hard work and passion that has gone into the making of the series, but ultimately deem this as the right programming decision for our network,” a rep tells THR in the statement.

The miniseries is still scheduled to air in Canada on March 6, and will still be broadcast internationally.

Edited by Persiflage, 25 April 2012 - 10:28 PM.

#2 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:02 AM

There is a certain humor to a network that does programs on Alien Abductions throughout history talking abuot rigorous standards.

#3 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,676 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

There is a certain humor to a network that does programs on Alien Abductions throughout history talking abuot rigorous standards.

They probably felt the miniseries just didn't deserve to be placed on the same mantle as shows like Pawn Stars, Ax Men, and American Pickers.

#4 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 12 January 2011 - 09:31 AM

Well, those are reality shows-by their very nature History In the Making. ;)

#5 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,166 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 05:49 PM

HBO doesn't want it. Starz doesn't want it. FX doesn't want it. Showtime doesn't want it.

"Although The Kennedys is well-produced, well-acted and a quality piece of work, it doesn't fit the Showtime programming brand," a rep for the network tells THR in a statement.

So, in other words, it's a finished product & it's better than 9 out of 10 shows on TV, but no one (in the U.S.) wants to air it.

#6 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:07 PM

VH1? SpikeTV? Playboy Channel? (People can say they watch it for the articles.)

#7 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,995 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:17 PM

If they add a giant shark they can probably get it on SyFy.

#8 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 13 January 2011 - 07:50 PM

Well, they should do like Dr. Horrible and just stream it on the Web.

#9 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

• 2,949 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:15 AM

If they add a giant shark they can probably get it on SyFy.

Only if it is the Sharktopus.

#10 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,166 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 04:35 PM

DirectTV might pick it up.

The most humorous part of this entire story is that rumors are now being confirmed that [a] it was the Kennedy family pulling the strings behind the scenes that got the show axed and then refused by other networks in the first place, and [b] if the show portrays any Kennedy character negatively, it's Tom Wilkinson's Joe Kennedy Sr., showing his penchant for pulling the strings behind the scenes. Not that any historian would deny the Machiavellian political skill of the family patriarch.

Irony is so much fun.

I, for one, personally want to see this, not because I want to see the Kennedys lambasted, but because I wouldn't be at all surprised if Greg Kinnear and Barry Pepper can pull of the best Jack Kennedy & Bobby Kennedy so far portrayed on film.

#11 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,995 posts

Posted 19 January 2011 - 05:18 PM

This whole thing plays like another version of what went down a few years back when CBS tried to put on a Reagan biopic (except that I've not seen any public protestations, so presumably behind-the-scenes pressure was all that was involved). In that case, the movie was moved from broadcast television to cable; here there's not such an easy out for the producers of the series since it was planned for cable anyway. I hope DirectTV does pick it up; it looks pretty good, and with that level of talent I can't see how it can be terrible. At the worst, it would be an interesting failure.

Edited by NBooth, 19 January 2011 - 05:21 PM.

#12 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,166 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 12:36 PM

DirectTV says forget it.

#13 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,995 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 06:16 PM

It's been picked up by ReelzChannel

Known mostly for chat shows such as Hollywood Dailies and such on-air personalities as Leonard Maltin and Richard Roeper, Albuquerque-based Reelz is making its first bet on original scripted programming with The Kennedys.

Hubbard said the plan is to air the first two episodes on April 3 and air the rest on successive nights that week. The Kennedys was scheduled to air in Canada beginning on March 6, but Hubbard said part of his deal is that Reelz gets to world premiere the miniseries, so it is unclear when the program will air in other countries.

#14 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,183 posts

Posted 24 March 2011 - 10:16 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftchdNDF_kQ

EXCLUSIVE: Hollywood Reporter Obtains 'The Kennedys'; What the First Episode Reveals
But the episode differs significantly from an early, racier script that has recently popped up online and was criticized last year by a former JFK aide as “malicious” and “vindictive.” The final version is less sensationalistic and controversial, less concerned with the embarrassing aspects of the Kennedy lifestyle and more focused on moving along a compelling narrative.
THR only has viewed one of the eight hour-long episodes, so the rest of the miniseries could be far more incendiary. But the final version of the first episode suggests that History execs and the miniseries’ creators were telling the truth when they said that the entire project had been vetted by historians before shooting began—which, of course, makes the decision to yank the project all the more puzzling. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, January 19

‘Kennedys’ Executive Producer: I Was Blindsided by the Controversy
TORONTO -- Michael Prupas, the Canadian TV producer at the heart of The Kennedys, on Monday recalled being blind-sided by the controversy surrounding the political mini-series.
The first time was in February last year when liberal filmmaker Robert Greenwald launched an online website and petition, stopkennedysmears.com, to get the Katie Holmes and Greg Kinnear-starring eight-part biopic canceled by the U.S. History channel. . . .
If anything, Prupas insists he was taken aback by the criticism from the Kennedy family because, being politically liberal himself, he at one time worked at the right hand of former Canadian Liberal Party leader and prime minister Pierre Elliot Trudeau.
Soon after Trudeau stepped down as Canada’s leader in 1984, the former prime minister joined the legal firm Heenan Blaikie, where Prupas was an entertainment lawyer.
And when he helped Trudeau stick-handle a request from the CBC to do a film about his legendary political career, Prupas saw first-hand how political leaders and their families go to great lengths to preserve their historical legacy. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, February 7

‘Kennedys’ miniseries producer Joel Surnow rips Democrats for blocking History network airing
America next month will finally see "The Kennedys," the controversial miniseries about the family story behind President Kennedy. But producer Joel Surnow is still sore at Democratic VIPs who he believes blocked the project from airing on the History cable network.
"I truly believe that this project would have seen the light of day on History Channel if the exact same film had been produced by Tom Hanks and Steven Spielberg," said Surnow, a co-creator of the spy caper "24" who is well-known in Hollywood for his conservative views. . . .
Los Angeles Times, March 10

'The Kennedys' producer on losing History Channel: 'It felt like discrimination' -- EXCLUSIVE
Didn’t historians vet the miniseries? “History has in-house historian Steve Gillan, who was there from the beginning and he vetted the script at every step at the way. After he was done, they brought in another historian named Robert Dallek who was highly respected and who has written books on the Kennedys. Historical accuracy is not the issue here. It has nothing to do with why this miniseries got canceled. Every script was approved. Every cut was approved. There was never any conversation like `we have a problem with this or that, let’s change it.’ This simply had to do with things other than what was said in the press release. In terms of trying to follow the story of historical accuracy, that’s not where this story lives. This story is about why a miniseries got canceled because of the political bent of some of the people involved. Or in this case one person’s involvement. . . .
Entertainment Weekly, March 19

Producer Joel Surnow Says 'Kennedys' Was Nearly Killed Because of His Political Views (Exclusive)
Joel Surnow was in the middle of a tennis game when he first realized The Kennedys might be in serious trouble. It was May 2010, and the Emmy-winning 24 producer was taking a break from preparing his ambitious $30 million miniseries about America’s political dynasty, a lavish production that was to signal both a new chapter in Surnow’s career and a bold move into scripted programming for the History channel. Stung by criticism from Kennedy family allies about a leaked early draft of the script, Surnow and his creative team were collaborating with History’s in-house advisers to ensure that the eight-part piece of historical fiction didn’t skew too far from the facts. But on that May afternoon, less than a month before shooting was scheduled to begin, the tenor of the relationship changed. . . .
Hollywood Reporter, March 22

#15 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,995 posts

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:33 AM

Now available on Netflix Instant--in the U.S., at least.

#16 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,995 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:56 PM

At the worst, it would be an interesting failure.

I'm about halfway through [finally!] watching the series on NetFlix, and...well. I like the acting, but I can't find it in me to be too impressed. There's a certain amount of cliche (I don't know that JFK suddenly decided to "speak from the heart" in the middle of a political talk, but I sure as heck know that Willie Stark did, and so did every other politician in every other political movie) and the soundtrack is annoying--neither striking nor invisible, it just manages to force itself onto the consciousness with a kind of dull monotony. I also don't recall being so actively bored by a title sequence in, like, ever.

That said, Kinnear, Pepper and Holmes are very good. And Wilkinson steals the show in the first episode; his relief when he gets news of JFK's rescue is the best thing in the series so far.

Edited by NBooth, 25 April 2012 - 09:57 PM.

#17 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

• 3,166 posts

Posted 25 April 2012 - 10:46 PM

I'm about halfway through ... and...well. I like the acting, but I can't find it in me to be too impressed.

That about sums it up.

It's got some memorable moments. And I'd still argue that it's the best cast of the Kennedys that exists so far on film. Each of the actors have a few scenes that they just knock out of the park.

But, and it's still hard to explain, there is just something wrong with the script. I don't even think it's a partisan demystification of the family - both Jack and Bobby are heroes by the end. That's not the problem. But it suffers (maybe from the same sort of thing that too many other biopics suffer from, The Iron Lady as another recent example) from a sort of contrived melodrama. If you are telling the story of JFK, you don't need to contrive anything. His life is already dramatic and fascinating and interesting and moving enough as it really was. Shallow speculation over how much JFK was trying to overcompensate for his big-brother's shadow is as boring and uninteresting as speculation over how far Margaret Thatcher's Alzheimer's disease took her in her last years. Sometimes it's as if the script writers just don't give a damn about history in spite of the fact that history is something to be loved.

#18 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,995 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 12:44 AM

But, and it's still hard to explain, there is just something wrong with the script. I don't even think it's a partisan demystification of the family - both Jack and Bobby are heroes by the end. That's not the problem.

Oh, not at all. It would probably be a better series if it were a partisan takedown.

But it suffers (maybe from the same sort of thing that too many other biopics suffer from, The Iron Lady as another recent example) from a sort of contrived melodrama. If you are telling the story of JFK, you don't need to contrive anything. His life is already dramatic and fascinating and interesting and moving enough as it really was. Shallow speculation over how much JFK was trying to overcompensate for his big-brother's shadow is as boring and uninteresting as speculation over how far Margaret Thatcher's Alzheimer's disease took her in her last years.

"Contrived melodrama"--yes. But a contrived melodrama could be entertaining if done right. This strikes me as more like contrived dull melodrama. And none of the melodrama really illuminates the characters at all. Everything skates by so quickly--Joe comes out and is JOE KENNEDY, Jackie comes out and is JACKIE, Jack is JFK (first reluctant, and then determined, and then angsty over the Bay of Pigs fiasco, etc etc etc). It's "The Holy Family" Vidal wrote about--frozen forever exactly as we expect them to be. And it's not just the Kennedys. J. Edgar Hoover (admittedly a real-life bad guy anyway) is so cartoonishly stock that I'm surprised he wasn't twirling a mustache. The characters hit the mandatory notes, deliver the expected character-beats, and then move on. They're less like living characters and more like gods.

That's it--this is so far from being a take-down piece that I might even (at this point) suspect it of being a hagiography. The family drama is, at this point, as much a part of the Camelot mythology as, well, Camelot. The truly iconoclastic version would have depicted them as an essentially undramatic family.

Not to say there's not some great moments. The scene where Rose catches Joe with what's-her-face in the second episode is another very good (and actually kind of interesting) scene.

Edited by NBooth, 26 April 2012 - 12:49 AM.

#19 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,995 posts

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:51 PM

Old but good: Hark! A Vagrant

Posted Image

#20 NBooth

NBooth

Magpie of Ideas

• 2,995 posts

Posted 15 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

Somehow I missed the fact that there's a sequel in the works starring Katie Holmes.

Jon Cassar, who directed all eight of The Kennedys, will helm the other three. 

Production will begin next spring in Canada. The miniseries, based on the best seller After Camelot: A Personal History of the Kennedy Family 1968 to the Present by J. Randy Taraborrelli, is expected to air on Reelz in 2016.

Given how dull The Kennedys was (hobbled in part, I'm guessing, by the fact that Camelot is still within living memory), I can only imagine how tepid this series will be. But there it is.

Edited by NBooth, 15 November 2014 - 03:47 PM.