Photo

Top 100 2011: Results and Discussion

310 replies to this topic

#41 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,438 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:47 AM

A movie which might be a 5 in one poll might be a 4 in another poll.

Oh, absolutely. I thought this was a given. The easiest example to look at is the upcoming horror poll, for which I've already said I'm giving Vertigo a 1 because it doesn't even belong on that poll.

#42 Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

Wayfaring Chestertonian Genre Slut

• 354 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:49 AM

Oh, absolutely. I thought this was a given. The easiest example to look at is the upcoming horror poll, for which I've already said I'm giving Vertigo a 1 because it doesn't even belong on that poll.

My understanding is that a vote of one more of a strike against a film than no vote at all - is that right?

Edited by Scott Derrickson, 14 January 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#43 Persona

Persona

• 7,438 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:50 AM

Yes. Because if you don't vote it is the same as if you've not seen it, and they adjust the math of the number of voters accordingly.

Edited by Persona, 14 January 2011 - 12:50 AM.

#44 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,902 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:51 AM

So is a vote of one a strike against a film, as opposed to no vote at all?

Correct.

If you don't vote on a film, that means you haven't seen it yet and have absolutely no say on it at all.

If you give it a 1, that is the worst you can do to it.

Basically, I'm going to be voting more 1s than 5s, based on how the nominated horror list is looking.

Edited by Persiflage, 14 January 2011 - 12:53 AM.

#45 Persona

Persona

• 7,438 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

The system I allowed myself this year was to only give about twenty 5s. The one I wish I would've been harder against is Ikiru where I voted my three star heart and kinda wish I'd just given it a one to get it out of the top ten. I am way. too. nice.

Or did I give it a two? Might've done that, can't remember. I think I gave it a two, which is how I scored it at Netflix.

Point is, these things are somehow weighted, I know I carry at least a little weight, and I pretty much hated that film. Should've been harder on it.

Edited by Persona, 14 January 2011 - 01:12 AM.

#46 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 12:55 AM

Well, I mean in an "Ask me tomorrow and I'll feel differently" sense. The difference between 2010 and 2011 is that while we're rating the movies on the same criteria (unlike in the horror poll, which uses a different criterion), we're rating them against different peers.

Edited by David Smedberg, 14 January 2011 - 12:58 AM.

#47 Persona

Persona

• 7,438 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:01 AM

Nope. The criteria for me for the A&F Top 100 is the same as it has always been. What are the films that move me in a sense related to how I view my faith, and is the film in question coming from a place of pure or high art -- ie, how is its standard related to the rest of the arts world. It's the same thing as looking at the horror poll and thinking of it topically according to the board and its desires as well.

#48 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:04 AM

Stef, that's how I understood my own voting as well. I didn't think I was giving any more or less "5"s based on the number of movies in the poll. I may have done so subconsciously... all I am saying is that data don't lie.

#49 Persona

Persona

• 7,438 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:08 AM

we're rating them against different peers.

Ok, I got what you're getting at but I'm still not sure it matters. There haven't been any peers in the past year that are better, in my mind, than the top (just guessing here, but) six or eight films from last year's list. That automatically qualifies those films to get a vote of 5. The peer doesn't matter. Nothing has been better. Anything that even comes close from that point on is fighting between a three and a four in my book.

Here's the thing that bugs me about Ordet. Haven't seen any complaints on the Ordet thread. Did she say sixty-six voters this year compared to 43 last? I'd like to see how Ordet drops from the #1 spot. Someone is being very quiet about their feelings on the film, and it has to be someone new. At least I have the guts to say Ikiru is lame and here's why. (And then that film moves UP. oy vey)

#50 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 28,882 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 02:53 AM

SDG wrote:
: Regarding write-ups for the new list: For the following films ... Koyaanisqatsi, Lawrence of Arabia, Fiddler on the Roof ... paging Mr. Chattaway!

Whoa. Will you believe me if I say that I had not yet seen this post (or, indeed, this entire thread) when I wrote my post in the soliciting-blurbs thread a few minutes ago?

#51 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,791 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 05:02 AM

SDG wrote:
: Regarding write-ups for the new list: For the following films ... Koyaanisqatsi, Lawrence of Arabia, Fiddler on the Roof ... paging Mr. Chattaway!

Whoa. Will you believe me if I say that I had not yet seen this post (or, indeed, this entire thread) when I wrote my post in the soliciting-blurbs thread a few minutes ago?

Why would I not believe you? You are the obvious person to write these three. Lawrence is your #1 film of all time, and Koyaanisqatsi is, what, #4? As for Fiddler, I wouldn't have been able to put it in your top 20, but I knew you were a special fan.

#52 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,241 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 06:52 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about Make Way blazing right to the top. It IS great but...that high, that fast? I don't know.

It's a slightly more extreme case of A SERIOUS MAN syndrome. You get this community really excited about a film and that film will do surprisingly well. But an under-appreciated film like MAKE WAY will benefit from placing so high, so I can't say I'm complaining.

There are four Robert Bresson films in the top 100:

5 Au Hasard Balthazar (1966)
23 Diary of a Country Priest, The (Le Journal D'un Cure De Campagne)
68 Man Escaped, A ("Un condamne a mort s'est eschappe ou Le vent soufflé ou il veut") (1956)
78 Pickpocket (1959)

Whoa, so does that mean The Story of the Weeping Camel gets in after all?

I guess so.

#53 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,687 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 08:20 AM

The Albanians got screwed.

They're used to it. ;)

I can't for the life of me figure out which movie(s) you're talking about.

Lorna's Silence. Virture of the Dardennes placing too many films.

#54 Christian

Christian

• 10,478 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

This is a phenomenal list.

Yup. Good stuff.

#55 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,695 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 09:56 AM

The Albanians got screwed.

They're used to it. ;)

I can't for the life of me figure out which movie(s) you're talking about.

Lorna's Silence. Virture of the Dardennes placing too many films.

Yeah, I would've preferred Lorna on the list ahead of La Promesse.

#56 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,849 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:30 AM

Bummed out that Red Beard and Ugetsu didn't make the cut - maybe next time.

The reason Red Beard didn't is because Kurosawa was already on the list 3 times. We kept the top three vote-getters from each director. Here are the ones that were removed, and their original places:

42 Cries and Whispers (1973)
44 Through a Glass Darkly ("Såsom i en spegel") (1961)
45 Virgin Spring , The (Jungfrukallan)
46 Sacrifice , The (Offret-Sacrificatio)
51 Fanny and Alexander ("Fanny och Alexander") (1982)
68 Lorna's Silence ("Le silence de Lorna") (2008)
84 Red Beard (1965)
99 Rosetta (1999)
100 Derzu Uzala (1975)
103 Solaris ("Solyaris") (1972)

So is it fair to say that this community thinks Bergman, Tarkovsky, the Dardennes, and Kurosawa are the greatest directors of all time?

#57 David Smedberg

David Smedberg

Ha! Mush.

• 1,117 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 10:32 AM

Well, don't forget Dreyer.

#58 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:18 PM

Blerg! Sorry about the Bresson foulup. Our eyes were crossing by that time ;)

Yes, The Story of the Weeping Camel gets in after all. Thanks so much for catching that, Tyler.

#59 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,791 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

Yes, The Story of the Weeping Camel gets in after all. Thanks so much for catching that, Tyler.

Woo hoo!

#60 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 14 January 2011 - 01:40 PM

That Make Way for Tomorrow basically pole vaulted onto the list and surpassed Tokyo Story by so much is really a puzzler. It's a great film, but wow. How many of us saw it recently and immediately decided it was one of the Best Movies Ever?

That is an odd one. Some kind of Early Summer thing happened here I guess. I like the film, but am not enamored of it as something like How Green.... It just doesn't seem like we have solved our problem regarding American films of this era. If anything, we have made it more noticeable.

Can't believe The Rules of the Lame made the list. Ichththth ::inv::

I always vote low on that one.

Yeah, I would've preferred Lorna on the list ahead of La Promesse.

I think that may have to do with the role La Promesse has played in many film-watching biographies here. La Promesse was a defining A&F film for a long time. Lorna did not get the same response from A&F or the critical community in general.

Edited by M. Leary, 14 January 2011 - 01:49 PM.

Reply to this topic