Photo

Bing vs. Google vs. ?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,342 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:32 AM

I have used Google as my basic access point to the web for many years. I have never used a different search engine.

Should I? Are there features on other search engines that would make using a different one worth checking out? I know there are some very IT savvy people around here, and am basically just looking for feedback re: search engines.

#2 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:50 PM

I've heard some interesting things about Blekko (more info). It's big feature is that it uses slashtags to help refine your search, weed out spam, etc.

http://vimeo.com/14593120

#3 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,569 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 01:00 PM

Interesting article on Wired.com, about a smaller search engine (DuckDuckGo) challenging Google over privacy issues.

#4 Pax (unregistered)

Pax (unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2011 - 08:27 PM

Hunch is pretty cool.

Metacrawler combines several search engines.

I find that Bing gets me more precise results up front but not always all the results I might like. The Bing interface is really pretty.

With Google, I find more interesting results if I'm willing to wade through the results. I'm not sure if I like Google's revising search results as I type.

Google Image search is better than Bing, but Bing's video search is better than Google, especially with the previews.

If you have an iPhone, the Google "Goggles" applications is awesome.

#5 Tyler

Tyler

I always dreamed we'd be back here.

• 5,695 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 11:56 AM

Google is winning April Fool's Day.

Gmail Motion.

Comic Sans for everyone.

#6 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Christian

• 2,901 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 10:13 AM

#7 Mike_tn

Mike_tn

• 144 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 05:32 PM

Funny videos J.J.A. Purves. I liked the CIA looking guy on the Terror search. Not the far future at all considering the new 2013 NSA million square-foot data mining complex in Utah costing $2 Billion or $2000 a square foot. Popular Google might make money playing the government stooge.
Google was the first engine I used but now they are more like my third choice. I've used DuckDuckGo for years, a remnant from a run with using Linux to replace Windows. But why change?  Google is politically left and their search results show it. Plus Google is a huge media company and huge companies are masters in the art of controlling their constituents.

DuckDuckGo works well and I don't feel the search results are politicized. And they have this "Bang Syntax" you access via a dropdown shown in the screenshot below where you can search other engines directly by adding the syntax to your search. I used to use Google Images often via the syntax. Unfortunately Google Images bang syntax is not working recently in DuckDuckGo and I do not know why.  If Google is the cause then they are fools because now I search Bing Images. In addition, recently Google squelched use of Google Translate. I used to use that also. Now I use Bing Translate. So Google Searches of all kinds are disappearing from my world but I do use them when needed.

DuckDuckGo secure search is here: https://duckduckgo.com/

I use that addy as my home page in FireFox and then use that browser's AdBlockPlus extension and Element Hiding Helper extension to remove all the extra things that appear on that search page besides the search engine window.

13703431604_6f99c9a269.jpg

Edited by Mike_tn, 07 April 2014 - 05:36 PM.