List of B&Ws since Psycho

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#41 Jim_L

Jim_L

• 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hmmm...

Five Kurosawa films immediately come to mind...

Yojimbo
Sanjuro
Red Beard
High And Low
The Bad Sleep Well

And Ken Annakin/Andrew Marton/Bernhard Wicki/Gerd Oswald/Darryl F. Zanuck quickly come to mind...

The Longest Day

And not quite B&W, but de-saturated to the point of being almost monochromatic, except for the red chastity sash, Michael Radford...

Nineteen Eighty-Four (The British DVD release, the US DVD release is, quite disgustingly, in full saturation)
And, by the way, this one is a good example of a film that is better, by far, de-saturated.

Edited by Jim_L, 03 February 2012 - 05:43 AM.

#42 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:33 PM

I've decided to pick up this project again, but I'm not concerned with a time frame on the black and white films. In fact, a few of the films I plan on seeing this month are silents. Just thought I'd invite you to check in from time to time this month - A Black and White February (2013). I began yesterday with Un Chien Andalou.

Will definitely be hitting the Orphic trilogy this time around. And hoping for A&F lister The Phantom of the Opera in the next couple days sometime. (I've not seen it.)

#43 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,659 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 08:46 PM

Tabu

#44 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,460 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

I've seen Murnau's. I didn't know the new one was in black and white. Thanks for that!