Photo

Pete Dexter

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 draper

draper

• 442 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 10:49 PM

I've searched and didn't find a Pete Dexter thread.

The Southern Literature thread and the resurfacing of the Tree of Smoke thread have forced my hand. In fact Andy's description of the writing in Tree of Smoke as both beautiful and brutal made me think of Pete Dexter.

Anyone read or reading Pete Dexter?

He has the same kind of pugilistic style as Harry Crews with a bonus sense of humor a la Barry Hannah.

I just finished Spooner and immediately wanted to read it again armed with a highlighter . There are passages that are so well crafted that I could commit them to memory. I loaned my copy out, I may have to go buy another copy just to underline and fill the margins with notes.

#2 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,605 posts

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:01 PM

I've searched and didn't find a Pete Dexter thread.

The Southern Literature thread and the resurfacing of the Tree of Smoke thread have forced my hand. In fact Andy's description of the writing in Tree of Smoke as both beautiful and brutal made me think of Pete Dexter.

Anyone read or reading Pete Dexter?

He has the same kind of pugilistic style as Harry Crews with a bonus sense of humor a la Barry Hannah.

I just finished Spooner and immediately wanted to read it again armed with a highlighter . There are passages that are so well crafted that I could commit them to memory. I loaned my copy out, I may have to go buy another copy just to underline and fill the margins with notes.

Read Deadwood a long time ago, but that was shortly after reading Larry McMurtry's Lonesome Dove, and I felt Deadwood paled in comparison. Probably an unfair assessment. I should reread it.

I've also read Paris Trout, which was pretty good, but extremely depressing.

Other than that, Pete used to write a regular column for the Sacramento Bee that I read with some regularity. He's a very no-nonsense guy - his columns read much the same as his books.

#3 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,695 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:11 AM

I read and reviewed Dexter's Spooner last year; I thought it was a marvelous book. I've also had Train, Paris Trout and Deadwood on my to-read shelf for YEARS, so maybe I should get around to them.

#4 J. Henry Waugh

J. Henry Waugh

A Real Reactionary

• 317 posts

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:09 AM

The only Dexter I have read is Train, and I thought it was wonderful.

A couple months back I decided to switch to audio books during my 25-minute daily commute and Spooner is next up in my queue. Audio books take ages to get through in 50-minute daily increments, so I'd considered skipping it for something shorter, but based on the comments I above, I can't wait to get to it.

#5 J. Henry Waugh

J. Henry Waugh

A Real Reactionary

• 317 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

Draper and Jason: thanks for recommending Spooner. I've had it on my kindle for ages but was intimidated by the sheer mass of it. I'd planned to listen to it on CD but it was checked out so I dove in yesterday and am loving it so far.

#6 draper

draper

• 442 posts

Posted 07 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

Glad you are enjoying it.

#7 J. Henry Waugh

J. Henry Waugh

A Real Reactionary

• 317 posts

Posted 04 May 2012 - 08:20 AM

I think listening to Spooner as an audiobook will be an annual summer event for me as I am midway through for the second time. The narrator, Tom Stechschulte, gets the humor of the language and enhances it in waysI would miss if reading it myself. His interpretation has changed how I read other books. Slow down. Think about every word. etc.

Edited by J. Henry Waugh, 04 May 2012 - 08:30 AM.