Photo

Top 25 Horror Films 2011: Results and Discussion

93 replies to this topic

#21 Phill Lytle

Phill Lytle

Gringo

• 357 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

Those of us who do not think Alien is any more a horror film than Cries and Whispers or An Inconvenient Truth or Vertigo would have been happier if Alien were left off the list completely.

Anyone who doesn't think ALIEN is a horror film is crazy.

Agreed. If it is not a horror film...what is it?

#22 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,454 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Sci-fi.

#23 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

It's sci-fi horror. Like THE THING. But you can't drop "horror" from the description, really. It's a slasher flick set in outer space.

Edited by Ryan H., 26 January 2011 - 01:27 PM.

#24 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:52 PM

The full list of ranked nominees is now attached to my first post in this thread here.

By the way, 25 people voted. Less than half as many for the Top100 this year. Still, I think that's pretty good considering that this is a "niche" list. Great job, voters!

#25 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 01:57 PM

The full list of ranked nominees is now attached to my first post in this thread here.

Fantastic. Thanks for this.

Knowing DON'T LOOK NOW was film #21 makes me both happy and sad. So close.

#26 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,671 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:01 PM

Yeah, I watched it the other day (based on your plug) and gave it a 5. Maybe next year!

I'm also glad to see The Call of Cthulhu on the top 50, since maybe three of us have seen it.

#27 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,425 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:03 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like our top 20. But honestly... 21-40 make an arguably more interesting list.

Can't believe Halloween took 48th. I guess we have The Thing representing for Carpenter, but that is surprising. And the second appearance of Cronenberg isn't until #58. Also surprising.

Edited by M. Leary, 26 January 2011 - 02:13 PM.

#28 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

• 5,374 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:05 PM

Don't get me wrong, I like our top 20. But honestly... 21-40 make an arguably more interesting list.

If only our list was a top 40. Or even a top 30.

Edited by Ryan H., 26 January 2011 - 02:09 PM.

#29 Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

Wayfaring Chestertonian Genre Slut

• 370 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:26 PM

It's interesting -- I thought that the last years A&F Top 100 list was way overloaded on foreign films, but then this list, if anything, is short on foreign films. I'm guessing that Japanes classics like Onibaba and Kwaidan didn't make the cut because too few people have seen them. Probably Del Toro's The Devil's Backbone is the most disappointing absence for me.

But as I said, this is a fantastic list. Might be my favorite top horror list I've seen. And I do like very much that it's topped by Caligari and not The Exorcist, even though the latter is my favorite horror film.

Those of us who do not think Alien is any more a horror film than Cries and Whispers or An Inconvenient Truth or Vertigo would have been happier if Alien were left off the list completely.

Anyone who doesn't think ALIEN is a horror film is crazy.

Agreed. If it is not a horror film...what is it?

Ridley Scott's one line pitch for the film when he sold it to the studio was "It's a haunted house/monster movie set in space". The setting is science fiction, but the movie itself is a horror film.

And I may be speaking out of school here, but is there any chance we could make this a top 25 list instead of top 20? If we did we'd get Don't Look Now, Dracula (1931), The Silence of the Lambs, Curse of the Demon, and Onibaba. 25 seems to me like it's a better "top films" number list anyway, and we'd be getting five more outstanding films.

Edited by Scott Derrickson, 26 January 2011 - 02:36 PM.

#30 Christian

Christian

• 10,703 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:38 PM

Near Dark at #91? Good thing I nominated that one, along with #103. And I seconded the nominations of several other titles in that same range.

It was fun anyway. And [gulp - should I admit this?] I've never seen our #1 choice! Gotta remedy that.

Edited by Christian, 26 January 2011 - 02:38 PM.

#31 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,048 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:41 PM

And I may be speaking out of school here, but is there any chance we could make this a top 25 list instead of top 20? If we did we'd get Don't Look Now, Dracula (1931), The Silence of the Lambs, Curse of the Demon, and Onibaba. 25 seems to me like it's a better "top films" number list anyway, and we'd be getting five more outstanding films.

I vote for a Top 25.

Edited by Overstreet, 26 January 2011 - 02:44 PM.

#32 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,671 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

I vote for a Top 25.

As do I.

#33 Persona

Persona

• 7,454 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:01 PM

Mutiny! The chickens are running the hen house!

#34 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,536 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

It's been a long time since I've seen a genre list like this where 40% of the films chosen are from the World War II era or earlier. I wonder if it would have come out quite the same had the list been a Top 50 or 100. I think limiting it to 20 films really helped focus the voting. I know I rated some films lower than I probably would have if this list was going to be larger (I think that makes sense).

Can't believe Halloween took 48th. I guess we have The Thing representing for Carpenter, but that is surprising. And the second appearance of Cronenberg isn't until #58. Also surprising.

I would have rated this higher based on my viewing of 25 years ago. However, I rewatched it this past Halloween. I know it ushered in a whole new wave of horror, but I was bored to tears.

The Thing still rocks (and I'm not just saying that because I nominated it ;) ).

I'd support this.

And [gulp - should I admit this?] I've never seen our #1 choice! Gotta remedy that.

Count me in this group as well. Plus four others (six, if the list expands).

Edited by Baal_T'shuvah, 26 January 2011 - 03:29 PM.

#35 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,671 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:05 PM

I'm amazed that one of my nominated films made the list...maybe because Stef hasn't watched it yet? :)

#36 Persona

Persona

• 7,454 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:07 PM

Which one is that?

#37 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,320 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

With no offense to whomever nominated and seconded it, I am so glad to see The Cell come in at #122. Whenever I get into that "name one film you absolutely hate" discussion, I always pick The Cell. I didn't even know my Eyes Wide Shut nomination had been seconded until I voted for it. Someday I'll write an essay defending that nomination, but for now I'll wear its last-place finish with a bit of pride. ;)

#38 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,932 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:18 PM

With no offense to whomever nominated and seconded it, I am so glad to see The Cell come in at #122. Whenever I get into that "name one film you absolutely hate" discussion, I always pick The Cell.

Sharing the love! :)

#39 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,048 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:31 PM

With no offense to whomever nominated and seconded it, I am so glad to see The Cell come in at #122. Whenever I get into that "name one film you absolutely hate" discussion, I always pick The Cell. I didn't even know my Eyes Wide Shut nomination had been seconded until I voted for it. Someday I'll write an essay defending that nomination, but for now I'll wear its last-place finish with a bit of pride. ;)

Hey, I rated Eyes Wide Shut highly too! What is this last-place nonsense?

And The Cell is the movie that springs to my mind too whenever the "one film you absolutely hate" comes up. On occasion, it might be replaced by The Life of David Gale or Dreamcatcher. (I still cannot believe that the latter was directed by Lawrence Kasdan. I can only assume that he was temporarily taken over by a monster that invaded him in the same appalling way that the monster in the movie invades its victims.)

Edited by Overstreet, 26 January 2011 - 03:32 PM.

#40 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,671 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 03:35 PM

Which one is that?

I Walked With a Zombie.

Reply to this topic