Photo

The Host

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 30,189 posts

Posted 10 February 2011 - 05:37 PM

Links to our threads on the book and film versions of Twilight (2008), as well as the film versions of The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009), The Twilight Saga: Eclipse (2010) and The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn (2011-2012).

Link to our thread on Bong Joon-ho's The Host (2006), with which this movie should not be confused.

Links to our threads on other recent past, present and future alien-invasion and -visitation movies such as Cloverfield (2008), Monsters Vs. Aliens (2009), District 9 (2009), The Fourth Kind (2009), Monsters (2010), Skyline (2010), Battle: Los Angeles (2011), Mars Needs Moms (2011), Paul (2011), Attack the Block (2011), Super 8 (2011), Green Lantern (2011), Transformers: Dark of the Moon (2011), Cowboys & Aliens (2011), Apollo 18 (2011), The Thing (2011), The Darkest Hour (2011), Battleship (2012), Men in Black III (2012), Pacific Rim (2013), Agent OX (in development), Alien Sleeper Cell (in development), Archangel (in development), Dark Moon (in development), Dominion: Dinosaurs Vs. Aliens (in development), Earth Defense Force (in development), The Fallen (in development), The Kitchen Sink (in development), They Live (in development), Under the Skin (in development), The Watching Hour (in development), Year 12 (in development) and Neil Marshall's World War 2 alien-invasion flick (in development).

- - -

Director set for 'Twilight' author's 'Host'
Exclusive: Susanna White ("Nanny McPhee Returns") is attached to direct the feature adaptation of "The Host," author Stephenie Meyer's follow-up to "The Twilight Saga." . . .
Andrew Niccol ("The Truman Show") wrote the sci-fi drama, which concerns a young woman whose body is inhabited by a benevolent alien soul after an invasion of Earth.
White made her directorial debut last year with the "Nanny McPhee" sequel, which grossed more than $93 million worldwide. . . .
Variety, February 10

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 12 May 2011 - 05:12 PM.

#2 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,485 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:02 PM

Starring Saoirse Ronan.

I really want to like Ronan. But she keeps choosing projects that make me cringe.

Edited by Overstreet, 03 May 2011 - 01:03 PM.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,189 posts

Posted 12 May 2011 - 05:11 PM

And now Niccol is directing, too.

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,189 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:40 PM

Jake Abel Is Frontrunner For Male Lead In ‘Twilight’ Author Stephenie Meyer’s ‘The Host’
EXCLUSIVE: Actor Jake Abel is frontrunner to play one of the two male lead roles in The Host, the adaptation of the science fiction novel by Twilight author Stephenie Meyer that will star Saoirse Ronan and be directed by Andrew Niccol, who wrote the script. Negotiations are expected to begin soon. Abel was chosen from among a group of young thesps and he is negotiating for the role of Ian. The other male lead role of Jake is down to a small circle of actors including Liam Hemsworth (also a finalist to play Bruce Willis’s son in A Good Day To Die Hard), Max Irons, Kit Harington and Jai Courtney. Abel has starred alongside Ronan in The Lovely Bones, and his other recent credits include I Am Number Four and Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief. . . .
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, November 8

#5 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,378 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:25 PM

#6 Jeremy Ratzlaff

Jeremy Ratzlaff

sceptical idealist?

• 98 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

I started watching the trailer on IMDb and was like, "this looks potentially interesting.."

Then Stephanie Meyer's name appeared on the screen.

#7 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,167 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

#8 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,378 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:13 PM

Is it a safe bet that Meyer fans haven't heard of Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

#9 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,990 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

Is it a safe bet that Meyer fans haven't heard of Invasion of the Body Snatchers?

The trailer does give me hopes that the film might go in a somewhat different and interesting direction though. I saw HANNAH last night and was impressed with the lead of this, Saoirse Ronan. She's a good enough actor.

#10 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 30,189 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

#11 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,965 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 04:03 PM

I keep clicking on this hoping it's more discussion of the Korean film of the same name. :(

#12 Evan C

Evan C

Being led on an illegal suicide mission by a selfish maniac.

• 1,023 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

I started watching the trailer on IMDb and was like, "this looks potentially interesting.."

Then Stephanie Meyer's name appeared on the screen.

I had the exact same reaction.

I wouldn't be surprised if Meyer has never heard of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. She had never read Dracula after all.

#13 Christian

Christian

• 11,047 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

I just noticed a posted review at Rotten Tomatoes that mentions Saoirse Ronan is the star of this film. I watched the movie last night, didn't notice, or pay attention to, opening credits, and had no idea who the lead actress was, although she looked a little familiar to me.

Now I know.

It also took me 30 minutes to figure out that one of the co-stars is William Hurt, who, it should be said, classes up the joint a great deal here. He usually does. Amazing what his presence has done to elevate some films I've seen.

If only there had been a lot more of him in this movie.

#14 Tyler

Tyler

(Credit Only)

• 6,378 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Is it worth seeing, Christian? I'm torn between my respect for Andrew Niccol and my awareness of the source material he's working with.

#15 Anodos

Anodos

• 388 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:23 PM

It also took me 30 minutes to figure out that one of the co-stars is William Hurt, who, it should be said, classes up the joint a great deal here. He usually does. Amazing what his presence has done to elevate some films I've seen.

Absolutely share the love for Hurt as a great actor. In fact, I would say he was the best American actor of the 80s, a decade when most of the Method actors had gone way too Method...

I must admit to being a big Saoirse Ronan fan - I prefer her to most of the other teenage actresses around. A fascinating face. Not conventionally pretty, or classically beautiful, but much more interesting than either of those. Still, I can't imagine this film being any great shakes. Looking forward to seeing her in Wes Anderson's new work, though!

#16 Christian

Christian

• 11,047 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

Is it worth seeing, Christian? I'm torn between my respect for Andrew Niccol and my awareness of the source material he's working with.

Everyone knows we're not allowed to answer that question, right?

While watching, I found myself wondering about the same distinction you made in the second sentence. I asked a couple co-workers today if they'd read The Host, because ... well, I just need to know if it's really so ... if it's really that ... If there was any way the movie might have overcome ...

I was reflecting on my reaction the previous night to Like Someone in Love, a movie that I had some issues with but generally admired. Then I saw The Host. It's the kind of movie that makes you wonder why you had any issues with Like Someone in Love.

I don't think I've answered your question. I've merely provided some context. This may, or may not, have swayed you.

Edited by Christian, 27 March 2013 - 03:41 PM.

#17 Evan C

Evan C

• 1,023 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

I just noticed a posted review at Rotten Tomatoes that mentions Saoirse Ronan is the star of this film. I watched the movie last night, didn't notice, or pay attention to, opening credits, and had no idea who the lead actress was, although she looked a little familiar to me.

Now I know.

In my own experience, when I forget/don't realize who the actors are, it usually means: either the movie is riveting and I am completely swept up in the story, characters, and filmmaking; or the movie is bad/dull enough that I am only focusing on the copious flaws and checking my watch. If one of these two scenarios is the case, I don't think it's the former.

#18 Evan C

Evan C

• 1,023 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:07 PM

The only positive things I've seen about The Host are it's not quite as bad as Twilight, which is hardly encouraging. Although the end of Ty Burr's review in the Boston Globe, which is one of the more positive reviews out there, is great:

Except for one extremely tetchy alien (Diane Kruger) bent on capturing Melanie/Wanderer, the invaded Earth doesn’t seem like such a bad place at all. No wars, everyone’s nice, the groceries are free. What’s the fuss?

The fuss is that these benevolent conquerors don’t know how to feel passion — real passion, womanly passion, Stephenie Meyer passion — and it’s up to one alienated adolescent alien to lead the way, aided by an overbearing musical score that does the swooning for everyone...And, if nothing else, the movie serves as an excellent substitute for the book: better art direction and a quarter of the adjectives.

#19 Christian

Christian

• 11,047 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 01:51 PM

Twilight was goofy but watchable, with extended close-ups that I found amusing but hard to look away from. There's nothing like that in The Host.

#20 Christian

Christian

• 11,047 posts

Posted 28 March 2013 - 02:04 PM

Interesting. I just pulled up Ebert's review. He goes 2.5 stars, although the text of the review doesn't read like the movie merits 2.5 stars.

This intimate form of self-love leads to dialogue that will possibly be found humorous by some people. When Wanda is about to kiss the boy she loves, for example, the film uses voiceover to warn her: "No, Melanie! Wrong! No! He's from another planet!"

--"Possibly be found humorous by some people" is an interesting way of putting it.

EDIT: Ebert's review refers to the New Mexico setting. I pointed out in the review I submitted that the locations were one of the film's big assets, but I wanted to say the film was shot in Monument Valley. I checked the locations as listed at the film's IMDB page, and Monument Valley isn't listed. New Mexico is, two or three times.

Does anyone know if Monument Valley is only in Utah, or does it stretch into other states? I suppose the geography I associate with the valley is more widespread. Indeed, some of the natural formations seen in The Host were things I can't remember specifically seeing in John Ford Westerns set in Monument Valley. I'm wondering if I've seen them in other movies -- Thelma and Louise, maybe? (Hmmm... Lots of Utah locations in IMDB's Thelma and Louise listing.)

Edited by Christian, 28 March 2013 - 02:10 PM.