Meme mania.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,212 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:31 PM

I never cease to be amazed at the creativity - from the disposable to the truly inspired - that memes can bring out of people.

The burgeoning blog Dancing Thom is no exception.

Radiohead is about get to more free press than they've ever had before.

What's your favorite meme?

Maybe it's time for The Arts & Faith Top 100 Memes List.

Edited by Overstreet, 22 February 2011 - 04:32 PM.

#2 mrmando

mrmando

Lassie, the Barbarian Musical Thinker

• 3,636 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

I think "meme" is the meme of the moment. The idea that there are such things as "memes," and the theory of how they function -- that's a pretty heavy meme. What would you call it? Metameme? Ubermeme?

#3 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other adults!

• 6,209 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 04:57 PM

It looks like the first Dancing Thom video surfaced way back on last Friday. From Mashable: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xgeT2hzxrQ&feature=player_embedded

#4 opus

opus

Supernatural Blood Sprinkling Victory Package

• Administrator
  • 4,031 posts

Posted 22 February 2011 - 05:47 PM

OK, I'll admit, some of those dancing Thom videos had me chuckling. But I'm starting to become a little wearied by the constant onslaught of memes.

Sometimes the recycling and recombination can lead to something new and interesting, e.g., some of the really good mash-ups that I've heard over the years. But all too often, memes feel like little more than digging up a dead horse simply so that we can kick it in a slightly different way than we did before. That, and a large number of memes seem driven largely by a sense of contempt for their subject/target/inspiration.

#5 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,696 posts

Posted 01 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

I love some memes, but I'm also wary of them. I think some are cruel, but still laugh at them. Cool story, bro is an example. Are you a wizard? is another.

Still, there are memes I have no shame in loving, like anything having to do with Insane Clown Posse or '80s actions movies.

#6 draper

draper

• 442 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 09:11 AM

I love some memes, but I'm also wary of them. I think some are cruel, but still laugh at them. Cool story, bro is an example. Are you a wizard? is another.

Still, there are memes I have no shame in loving, like anything having to do with Insane Clown Posse or '80s actions movies.

......Magnets.........

#7 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,696 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:09 AM

......Magnets.........

How do they work?

#8 Buckeye Jones

Buckeye Jones

Killer of threads

• 1,724 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 07:14 PM

I was tempted to break out the Cool story, bro today.