• 5,505 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 11:12 AM

Finished the Top 100. :)

Quite an accomplishment.

#23 John

John

• 423 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

I never could get to After Life on the previous T100--it's not on Netflix for some reason.

That's weird. I know I've streamed After Life from Netflix at least once, but not even the DVD is available now. The same thing has happened with the Dardennes' La Promesse.

I just discovered that After Life is available to stream for $3 on MUBI. I'm pretty sure they rotate their streaming options, so who knows how long it will last.

#24 John

John

• 423 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 08:37 AM

Finished the Top 100. :)

And now, finally, so have I!

#25 Darren H

Darren H

• 2,352 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 12:52 PM

Nice, John. We should get matching leather jackets or something.

Any pleasant surprises in your last few films?

#26 John

John

• 423 posts

Posted 17 August 2011 - 02:24 PM

Thanks, Darren. Jackets, coffee mugs, or license plate covers. I'm game!

Of the final five (Koyaanisqatsi, Paprika, After Life, Fiddler on the Roof, and Ratcatcher), probably the one surprise was Ratcatcher.

I often find myself feeling predisposed against certain heavy, dramatic films from this area (northern UK) and era--the colorless housing projects, the gray skies, the pale skin--everything is just so dreary. I'm thinking of Loach's My Name is Joe, or even Greengrass' Bloody Sunday. These films have their strengths, but the setting creates such a mood that the stories feel somewhat constrained by them. I thought Ratcatcher stretched beyond my predisposition in a good way. I was impressed by the way Ramsey was able to elicit compassion for and find beauty in the characters of this bleak world. Possibly that was due to the subject matter dealing primarily with children, and seeing that world from a child's perspective, but the compassion extended beyond the children to the mothers of the three main neighborhood boys.

I expected to enjoy After Life, and I was not disappointed. Such a gentle and unassuming film--glad I saw it.

Overall, I think the list is a solid one, even if I still wish The House is Black occupied a place there.

Edited by John, 17 August 2011 - 04:14 PM.

#27 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 19 August 2011 - 10:21 AM

Who else has finished the Top 100? Who else gets to join the A&F Leather Jacket club?

I got a bit distracted the last couple months.

#28 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:06 AM

I still need to get a new DVD player. It's not as easy as it sounds.

#29 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 01 January 2012 - 09:04 PM

Well, I guess I didn't do too well in my Top 100 quest. Here's to the new year and another go! (clink)

#30 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,130 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 01:45 AM

Well, I guess I didn't do too well in my Top 100 quest. Here's to the new year and another go! (clink)

Yes, I'm getting back on this now for 2012 as well. To a certain extent it's work, but it's also well worth it.

#31 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Yes, I'm getting back on this now for 2012 as well. To a certain extent it's work, but it's also well worth it.

I agree. It is well worth it but sometimes it feels overwhelming. I also keep trying to just explore Cassavetes. Somehow one list interferes with the progression of the other.

#32 J.A.A. Purves

J.A.A. Purves

Chestertonian, Rabelaisian, Thomist, Christian

• 3,130 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:53 AM

Still a significant amount of film watching I have to do on here. I need to start consciously seeking these out again.

Anyone else making progress? I'd recommend trying. Instead of just bringing our own personal tastes to the forum, I've found that making an effort to stretch my tastes with this list has been very rewarding, challenging and worthwhile.

#33 Rushmore

Rushmore

Descent onto the gold dawn psalm

• 699 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:04 AM

I'm making very slow progress. At this writing, I've seen 28 of the 247 films that have been on an Arts & Faith top 100 or top 25 list. Long, long way to go.

#34 Christian

Christian

• 10,902 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:37 AM

You're doing well, Rushmore. Don't beat yourself up.

#35 Rushmore

Rushmore

• 699 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 11:41 AM

Uh, I'm not, don't worry. But thanks for the reassurance.

#36 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 960 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 01:55 PM

Okay I'm gonna make a Word File and write in everything I need to see. I am sure I'm behind Rushmore.

seen 7 out of the 2011 list. a few of them i haven't seen are at the library.

#37 Rushmore

Rushmore

• 699 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:32 PM

If you want to pursue all the lists, not just the 2011 top 100, you can use this spreadsheet. It was posted a while ago by M. Dale Prins, and I added some missing information and the top 25 lists to it.

#38 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,711 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 02:53 PM

If you want to pursue all the lists, not just the 2011 top 100, you can use this spreadsheet. It was posted a while ago by M. Dale Prins, and I added some missing information and the top 25 lists to it.

THANK YOU. This is incredible, and I missed it the first time around. So far, I've only seen 79 out of the 246 on the list, so a little over 30%. I'll have to keep pecking away.

#39 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 960 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 06:25 PM

Thanks Rushmore! I'm actually excited by how many are either at my library, or online legally free. Spent the whole afternoon going through the lists.

Edited by Taliesin, 13 October 2012 - 06:35 PM.

#40 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,265 posts

Posted 13 October 2012 - 07:03 PM

I've seen 197 of the movies on that list.

I need to get out more.

Reply to this topic