A&F Live Oscars Chat! Sunday Feb 27, 7:30EST

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

So, we'd love to do another live chat this year, just like last time, in our "chat" section. Sunday, February 27, 8:00pm EST.

If anyone has any feedback about our chat capabilities, or suggestions for this year, or if you just want to say "Great! I'll be there!" please reply in this thread.

We should have the ability to allow guests again, so if you have any non-A&F friends who would like to show up and chat, they can do so without registering first. Of course we hope they register, but if they just want to stop by that's fine too.

I've opened the chat room, so you guys can go in there and check it out/remind yourself of the format.

#2 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,524 posts

Posted 26 January 2011 - 05:52 PM

Ooh.

#3 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 27 January 2011 - 11:02 AM

I went in and chatted with myself for a little while today. It was no different than much of normal life.

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,993 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 01:22 PM

Definitely planning on being there. Don't remember having any specific recommendations after last year's event, but it was easily the best of my online Oscar experiences so far.

#5 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 01:59 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm just reminding you that this Sunday we will be hosting a live chat during the Oscars, right here in the Chat section at ArtsandFaith.com. **NOTE: The chatroom is not open yet, so it will give you a "You are not authorized to see this page" message for right now.

I'm planning on opening the chat room at 4:30pm PST/7:30pm EST. If anybody wants it open before that to watch the pre-show, will you comment here?

P.S. Once again I will be looking for an internet live stream. Last year we had problems because there was some network tiff, but I think livestreams are going to be readily available this year. It might be easier to get that question sorted out now, so we're not scrambling during the chat.

MTV is going to have one here.

LostRemote details the different stream options here.

The official Academy Awards livestream is here.

Anyone have other suggestions or recommendations for an Oscars livestream?

#6 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,384 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:44 PM

Cool. This year, I won't be on an airplane high above the clouds and cursing at a shoddy internet connection.

#7 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:58 PM

I'll be dropping in. I very much enjoyed last year's chat.

#8 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,959 posts

Posted 25 February 2011 - 08:21 PM

After having been overseas for the past two years, we're hosting an Oscar party. My wife tells me it would be anti-social to sit on my computer, so I probably won't be participating. Sorry!

#9 Darryl A. Armstrong

Darryl A. Armstrong

Father. Advertiser. Writer. Thinker. Pop philosopher.

• 1,504 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:10 AM

After having been overseas for the past two years, we're hosting an Oscar party. My wife tells me it would be anti-social to sit on my computer, so I probably won't be participating. Sorry!

Ha! Doesn't she know "social" media is all online? :lol:

#10 Anders

Anders

Globe-trotting special agent

• 2,959 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 01:54 PM

Ha! Doesn't she know "social" media is all online? :lol:

Too true. I think it would be anti-"being social with the other people in the room" to sit on the computer. ;)

#11 Jason Panella

Jason Panella

"I like the quiet."

• 3,719 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:05 PM

Having seen two films in the theater this year (neither up for an Oscar, thankfully), I'll probably sit this out. I guess the fact that we don't have a TV connection helps too.

Still, Greg told me I have moves, so I feel like I should pop in at some point to prove it. We'll see.

#12 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,384 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:42 PM

I've missed some of the key films in question too, but I always enjoy watching American television when they're featuring speeches about gratitude... even if the credibility and integrity of the speechmakers is rather dubious.

#13 Ryan H.

Ryan H.

Riding the crest of a wave breaking just west of Hollywood

• 5,524 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 02:47 PM

I always watch the Oscars. I'll be doing it this year, too. Sadly, though, I won't be here to chat about it. My wife and I are throwing a small Oscar party, so I'll have to gripe about the winners with our guests.

#14 Crow

Crow

Alaskan Malamute

• 1,420 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

I will be at a Pete Yorn concert tomorrow night, so I won't be able to make the chat. Is a transcript of the chat going to be kept on the boards afterwards? Or else I can catch up the way the kids are doing these days, by reading tweets on my phone. :)

Edited by Crow, 27 February 2011 - 12:46 AM.

#15 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 9,094 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:01 PM

I'll be there at some point. When I click on Chat now, I get an error message. Am I doing something wrong, or do I have to wait till 7:30?

An almost invisible message tells me I don't have access to the chat room.

#16 M. Leary

M. Leary

• 5,487 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

Can't get in either.

#17 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,993 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:36 PM

Anna J wrote:
: MTV is going to have one here.

Hmmm, seems to be a red-carpet-only thing.

: LostRemote details the different stream options here.

Arrrgh. The only items listed there are for Americans and/or Apple users, of which I am neither.

: The official Academy Awards livestream is here.

I've got this playing right now, and I fear that it, too, may be just a red-carpet show.

: Anyone have other suggestions or recommendations for an Oscars livestream?

Last year we used Justin.tv, but we sometimes had to jump to new subfeeds there as existing ones were shut down.

#18 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 07:42 PM

Chat is open now! Click here to get in.