Photo

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,469 posts

Posted 02 March 2011 - 02:09 PM

Link to our thread on Percy Jackson & The Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010).

- - -

'Percy Jackson' sequel could be on its way
EXCLUSIVE: Fans waiting for a sequel to "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" may not have to wait that much longer.
Fox 2000, the 20th Century Fox label behind the adventure franchise, is putting a follow-up project to the 2010 young-adult film in active development and could shoot it as early as this summer, according to a person who has been briefed on the project's status but was not authorized to speak publicly about it. The movie would be subtitled "The Sea of Monsters" and derive from the second book in Rick Riordan's five-book series.
The studio has hired Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski -- who wrote "Ed Wood" and "Agent Cody Banks" -- to write a script for the new film, which they are currently doing. But the person cautioned that the project is still very much at the development phase; the movie, for instance, does not yet have a director. . . .
A "Percy Jackson" sequel had been a question mark since the original came out a little over a year ago. Riordan's books are hugely popular, with the series spending more than three years on the New York Times bestseller list. The original film was a modest hit, fueled by its performance overseas: It grossed a decent $89 million in the U.S. but pulled in an additional $137 million around the world.
Young-adult movies tend to spawn sequels relatively quickly, as studios worry that both a cast and an audience can grow out of a franchise. But one person familiar with the project said that Fox believes that the ongoing popularity of the books is more than sufficient to overcome a potential two-year lag between films.
Los Angeles Times, March 1

Edited by Peter T Chattaway, 18 August 2013 - 08:04 PM.

#2 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,469 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 12:49 AM

'Percy Jackson and the Olympians' sequel locks down star, lands director
EXCLUSIVE: "Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief" was a reasonably sized hit when it came out in the winter of 2010: The mythology-infused film based on Rick Riordan's bestseller drew $89 million in U.S. box office and another $137 million around the world.
Now a sequel hopes to build on that fan base.
According to a source familiar with the production who asked not to be identified because of the sensitive nature of discussions, studio Fox 2000 has exercised the option on star Logan Lerman, essentially meaning that the young actor is locked down to reprise his role as Percy Jackson in a new picture. The company has also hired a director in Thor Freudenthal, best known for helming the similarly boy-oriented "Diary of a Wimpy Kid;" he'll pick up where "Lightning Thief" director Chris Columbus left off. (Columbus will only produce this new movie.) . . .
Los Angeles Tims, June 16

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,469 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:07 AM

'Percy' sequel zeroes in on Smith
Douglas Smith is in final negotiations to co-star in Fox 2000's "Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Sea of Monsters."
Logan Lerman and Alexandra Daddario are returning for their roles, with Thor Freudenthal helming.
In this latest installment, Jackson and his friends head into the Sea of Monsters to find the mythical Golden Fleece.
Scott Alexander and Larry Karaszewski penned the script; Chris Columbus, Karen Rosenfelt and Michael Barnathan are producing.
The film is expected to bow March 26, 2013. . . .
Variety, February 16

#4 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,469 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

Nathan Fillion is taking over the part of the Greek god Hermes. (He was played by Dylan Neal in the first film.)

#5 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,990 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:52 AM

FWIW, Lerman had just turned 18 when the first film came out, so he was 17 or even younger during filming. Now he's 20 and counting -- and the film's still in early development. That's a long gap for a young star. What the heck took them so long?

Edited by SDG, 16 March 2012 - 09:53 AM.

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,469 posts

Posted 29 May 2013 - 07:20 PM

#7 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 03:17 AM

Huh. Pierce Brosnan has been replaced by Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Anthony Stewart Head.

#8 SDG

SDG

Catholic deflector shield

• 8,990 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 08:26 AM

Huh. Pierce Brosnan has been replaced by Buffy the Vampire Slayer's Anthony Stewart Head.

Win.

FWIW, Lerman had just turned 18 when the first film came out, so he was 17 or even younger during filming. Now he's 20 and counting -- and the film's still in early development. That's a long gap for a young star. What the heck took them so long?

And counting.

#9 John Drew

John Drew

A vast sponge of movie minutiae... - Jason Bortz

• 3,568 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 12:19 AM

Wow, this guys had a lot of work in films this summer...

percy-jackson_zpsce93cdf2.jpg

#10 James Blake Ewing

James Blake Ewing

• 366 posts

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I saw this today. Took my teenaged siblings, one of which is a big fan of the books. It's a good film. Certainly has some storytelling weaknesses, but it makes up for it with a lot of all ages humor.

Also, an element I really admired is how it demonstrates that doing the right thing is more important than getting fame or credit for heroic deeds. Yes, sometimes doing the right thing is heroic, but we should be quick to give others the credit and elevate those around us even when we could be taking in the limelight. It does this without having some wise mentor preach the message, but just through Jackson's own actions in the film. The people who seek and get the glory are shown as egotistical and shallow while still being believably human and worthy of our empathy.

If you have kids around the age that's appropriate to this film, enjoy mythology or just like this kind of movie, see this film. It's not exemplary, but I think it has a strong heart and a good sense of humor which bolstered my spirits a bit in a summer that has been filed with movies with bleak, existential heroes.

#11 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 07:35 PM

James Blake Ewing has nicely summed up the good points of Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters. It's a good B fantasy movie. I would also say that replacing Dylan Neal (who is nice looking, but doesn't have much range) with Nathan Fillion and Pierce Brosnan with Anthony Stewart Head can only have strengthened the overall effect. Stanley Tucci brings his fine touch to the cursed "Mr. D"--you'll figure out who he is easily enough.

The Sunday matinee audience of parents and youngsters applauded at the end of the movie, which is something I have not heard for any of the summer blockbusters.

#12 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,469 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

I must confess, I was a bit distracted by the fact that the main Cyclops character was introduced via a point-of-view shot... and it was in 3D. And then, later, someone (possibly the Cyclops character, possibly someone else) commented on his lack of depth perception!

Juliette Harrisson @ Pop Classics makes a number of good comments.

#13 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,853 posts

Posted 18 August 2013 - 09:59 PM

I must confess, I was a bit distracted by the fact that the main Cyclops character was introduced via a point-of-view shot... and it was in 3D. And then, later, someone (possibly the Cyclops character, possibly someone else) commented on his lack of depth perception!

Juliette Harrisson @ Pop Classics makes a number of good comments.

Fortunately, I saw it in regular 2D, so the 3D POV issue wasn't apparent. And I haven't read the books, so had no problems with variations in character portrayals or plotting. In general, I'm in the "book is better than the movie" camp, but with books I haven't read or don't care much about, it's not such a big deal as long as the movie works well enough on its own.