HOME AGAIN: A Documentary about Missionary Kids

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BethR

BethR

Getting medieval on media

• 2,859 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 10:02 AM

I was going to post this in the "filmmakers" forum, but thought I'd better ask first. A friend of a friend is seeking funds for this documentary about missionary kids:

When you’ve grown up all over the world, can you ever really go home again? HOME AGAIN is an intimate documentary that poses questions about citizenship, faith, politics, and identity—one that views America through the eyes of Missionary Kids who’ve grown up overseas. HOME AGAIN will vividly portray the risks and rewards of living between and among cultures in today’s “global” age.

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you'll see that the producer, Julie Englander, is no newbie to the documentary film-making business.

As many of you know, this is a subject I and several other members of this forum identify with. Most people's ideas about missionaries & MK's seem to come from The Poisonwood Bible or...I have no idea...not reality, anyway. So I'd love to see this get off the ground.

Thanks!

#2 Persona

Persona

You said you'd wait... 'Til the end of the world.

• 7,463 posts

Posted 09 March 2011 - 11:34 PM

I don't have any money to donate but one of the most fascinating, profound and totally cool people I have ever met was an MK who spoke six or seven languages and was headed toward government work of some sort last I saw him. It's been a few years, but if Englander is looking for subjects, he would be the guy to track down. He has one of the highest energy levels of anyone I've met. I'd be willing to try to track him down if she were interested -- if so, maybe just PM me.

And I see nothing wrong with this being in the Filmmaker forum, as long as it doesn't sit and rot but is updated with future progress!

#3 Nathan Douglas

Nathan Douglas

Overeager beaver of the sacramental cinema.

• 524 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:04 AM

My mother and four uncles are/were all MK's (mainly in India and Pakistan). Growing up, there was always a subtle tension I felt between my family's fairly average middle-class position and the otherworldly stories my mother would share from her past. Seeing those snippets of the MK's talking about entering North American culture really brings those memories back. I really hope this gets made.

#4 Rich Kennedy

Rich Kennedy

Striking a balance between the cerebral and six month old puppy

• 2,543 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 01:29 AM

I should be in bed right now, or I would have pledged already. Just your description of the project and the cryptic description at the link (not yet seen the promo) overwhelmed me with emotion after all this time. I hope this flick gets made.

#5 BethR

BethR

• 2,859 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 11:53 AM

I don't have any money to donate but one of the most fascinating, profound and totally cool people I have ever met was an MK who spoke six or seven languages and was headed toward government work of some sort last I saw him. It's been a few years, but if Englander is looking for subjects, he would be the guy to track down. He has one of the highest energy levels of anyone I've met. I'd be willing to try to track him down if she were interested -- if so, maybe just PM me.

Thanks! FWIW, backers can donate as little as $1.00

And I see nothing wrong with this being in the Filmmaker forum, as long as it doesn't sit and rot but is updated with future progress!

Great! I don't have the power to move the thread, though, so if the appropriate moderator would do it, that would be wonderful :)

#6 Anna J

Anna J

• Administrator
  • 439 posts

Posted 10 March 2011 - 02:29 PM

Thanks, Beth. This is kind of a specialty topic, but I think Filmmakers is the best place to put it. [moved]

#7 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 10:31 PM

Wait...are those MK's wearing bikinis!? JK about the MK in the BK.

This is an very interesting subject for a documentary and close to my heart in terms of the dualism of Christ and culture. I think funding will come through even if it isn't through kick starter. Will follow and support if funds get freed up. Look forward to the progress.

#8 BethR

BethR

• 2,859 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:51 PM

Fully funded, over goal, in fact, with 16 days to do. Well done. Hope I'll get to see the final result one day.

#9 Thom

Thom

nothing, nobody, nowhere

• 1,867 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

Hi Beth - Any word about the current status of this documentary? Is it done? I would be very interested to see it.