Children's Movies

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 (unregistered)

(unregistered)
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2004 - 07:54 PM

Links:

Edited by SDG, 13 August 2014 - 11:27 AM.

#2 Darrel Manson

Darrel Manson

Detached Existential INFP Dreamer-Minstrel Redux

• 6,659 posts

Posted 24 May 2004 - 09:04 PM

How would it be to have a separate list (probably of less than 100) specifically for children's films. I'd think it would be appropriate to limit that list to G and PG films or to find a way to suggest a minimum age the film would be appropriate for.

#3 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,509 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:42 AM

Did Dersu Uzula make the cut? I remember thinking, when I saw that film last year, that I would LOVE to show that film to a child of mine, if I had one.

But I guess the fact that it's rated G doesn't necessarily make it a "children's movie," per se.

#4 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:26 AM

I noticed you can rent the Red Balloon on DVD from Greencine, but upon doing some internet research I heard the DVD is very grainy and poor quality...what a shame...such a great nostalgic film....

#5 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:27 AM

By the way, I love Willy Wonka, but am I the only one who really really hated the Oompa Loompa's? They are scary.

#6 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,509 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 09:54 AM

Alan wrote:
: Yes, it did; what age group were you thinking?

Well, I plan to be there for the child's ENTIRE childhood ... smile.gif

But honestly, I wasn't thinking in terms of "age groups". I would just let the child watch it if he or she found it interesting.

#7 mike_h

mike_h

Flickerer

• 331 posts

Posted 05 June 2004 - 10:51 AM

The whole "Children's Movie" concept has always intrigued me, and my thoughts would probably mess up any useful list-making categories. But I've always thought certain films are best seen at certain ages. Some of my fondest movie-experience memories are of seeing films as a child that, if I'd seen them for the first time as an adult, believe me, the memories wouldn't be as fond. Not just the obvious Willy Wonka Chitty Chitty children's films. But I'm thinking of great old monster movies, science fiction, adventure stories. If only I could see a film now that gave me the feeling that original Universal Mummy or Hammer Dracula films gave me when I was twelve or thirteen. I suppose I'll be chasing that horizon for the rest of my life. With my daughter, I always took great delight in showing her a film that seemed just beyond her previous film-watching experience: in scariness, in thrill, in depth -- with some memorable hits and misses. Conversely, there are certainly films which too many kids probably see too early and so waste that precious First Time Viewing by seeing them at an age that only detracts from maximum impact. Then again, it's probably more complicated than that: different ages will produce different kinds of effects. For example, I think I saw The Abominable Dr. Phibes at about the age of eight, and it was the scariest thing I'd ever seen. Decades later I watched it again and was astonished to discover it was a COMEDY! All kids are different, and it would probably take somebody with a houseful of kids to really make any headway on a project like this, but I'd love to see a list of films -- again, not just conventional "children's films" -- arranged by the age at which you need to seem them to have maximum impact. (And maybe suggested times for waiting before a subsequent viewing!)

#8 becca

becca

• New User
  • 26 posts

Posted 01 August 2004 - 11:09 AM

i think a lot of things made for children have simple truth in them that can be really illuminating. (take lion the witch and the wardrobe) my favourite children's film is Muppet Christmas Carol because its just a simple story about redemption and hope and faith, with singing vegetables! perhaps its best not to get too deep about it but it does remind me of Jesus saying 'unless you become like a little child'... !
Becca

#9 Shantih

Shantih

slightly linguistic inspector

• 517 posts

Posted 02 August 2004 - 10:22 AM

I agree completley. Childrens' films, like literature, often reach far deeper and explore more fundamental issues than 'adult' things as, well, children's concerns, questions and fears are very fundamental. What's good and evil, what happens after death, what happens when we grow up and do we suddenly become "different" at some point in our lives etc. These sorts of things do crop up in 'adult' cinema but often not as vivdly. In a broader sense, a good kid's movie is like a Hollywood blockbuster. It's designed to promote "feelings" rather than "thoughts" The difference being that these sorts of feelings are important for a child to experience when growing up, whereas for in blockbusters they're often being used as an alternative for thinking.

I would put Paul Hogan's Peter Pan (2003) onto this list. The Peter Pan story, when well handled, is one of the best explorations of growing up and how becoming a well rounded adult is actually something for a child to aspire to. Not all the film versions, though, have managed to draw this out very well. Sadly, the Disney version pretty much guts the reality of the story in favour of cartoon pleasure (like most of the Disney films of the fifties.) Spielberg's Hook, although something of a guilty pleasure for me, is a bit of a mess. It has the most genuine affirmation of parental love, the importance of growing up and how childhood imagination can enrich development. But it also tries to tap into the 90s idea of 'being cool' skateboarding/egg gun wielding Lost Boy shannenigans. It's less than fifteen years old and already Hook's presentation of youth feels incredibly dated, which is a bit of a kiss of death to a story about eternal, enduring childhood.

Only Hogan's version balances the colour and wonder of Neverland with the 'development' side of the story and the realisation that Neverland (and childhood itself) is not a place where one can dwell forever. More importantly, perhaps, it's the only one which plays Peter going back to Neverland at the story's end as a bad thing. He may be going back to Neverland with Tinkerbell, but we realise he's going to miss the greater adventure of growing up. It also has one of my all time greatest pleasure moments at the cinema, when Hook tries to think of 'happy thoughts' to make himself fly: "Lawyers! Dentists!" etc. etc.

Phil.