Photo

Sinister (2012)

Scott Derrickson

• Please log in to reply
219 replies to this topic

#41 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

He's fictional, but you can't have everything.

• 29,825 posts

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:13 PM

Don't know if there's a way to embed "motion posters" here, but at any rate, you can see one for this film here.

#42 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 11:45 PM

#43 Joel Mayward

Joel Mayward

father, husband, pastor, writer, film guy

• 261 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 12:34 AM

Well...that trailer thoroughly creeped me out. It seemed to reveal quite a bit too.

#44 Russ

Russ

• 1,099 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 02:05 PM

Can't wait for this. My two oldest daughters have watched the trailer at least a dozen times since I showed it to them this weekend. They wanna know just how scary a movie must be to get an R without gore or sex.

#45 rjkolb

rjkolb

• 111 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Sweet! I am very excited about this film now.

#46 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

Wait, Scott... the movie is not just wall to wall "f" words to garner that 'R'... is it?! ;)

#47 Russ

Russ

• 1,099 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

+ two more viewings last night. Ruby (12) keeps asking me if she can see it, and I just keep shaking my head sadly.

#48 Thom Wade

Thom Wade

Happy Go Lucky Meat Machine

• 2,949 posts

Posted 20 June 2012 - 11:58 PM

Okay Scott...I just watched the trailer. I'll buy a ticket. :)

#49 Tyler

Tyler

Hello, other grownups!

• 6,264 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 10:03 AM

The trailer made the IMDB front page today.

#50 Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

Wayfaring Chestertonian Genre Slut

• 370 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

The trailer made the IMDB front page today.

Thanks for the heads up. The poster they show is a special screening giveaway poster - not MPAA approved. Posted Image

Edited by Scott Derrickson, 08 September 2012 - 03:40 PM.

#51 Justin Hanvey

Justin Hanvey

Just Some Dude

• 960 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 01:44 PM

also, really interested to see this. Horror movies don't usually scare me anymore, so I'm interested to see if this will duly scare me, and it looks like it just might.

Edited by Taliesin, 28 September 2012 - 01:45 PM.

#52 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 04:33 PM

Hmmm, has anyone asked yet whether there is any historic basis for the claim that ancient Christians had such-and-such beliefs about such-and-such demon? If that's an historical fact, then it's interesting (and I'd like to know more about it), and if it isn't, then I must admit I'm curious as to why a Christian filmmaker would put the idea out there.

#53 Christopher Lake

Christopher Lake

• 192 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:27 PM

Scott, I loved The Exorcism of Emily Rose (well, the extended version, at least, which was the only one that I saw), and I am seriously looking forward to seeing Sinister. I have resolved not even to watch the trailer until after I see the film. I want to go into this one "cold," as much as one can these days. I expect to be scared out of my wits, and somehow, I don't think I'll be disappointed!

#54 Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

• 370 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:46 PM

Hmmm, has anyone asked yet whether there is any historic basis for the claim that ancient Christians had such-and-such beliefs about such-and-such demon? If that's an historical fact, then it's interesting (and I'd like to know more about it), and if it isn't, then I must admit I'm curious as to why a Christian filmmaker would put the idea out there.

Why wouldn't a Christian put the idea out there?

Scott, I loved The Exorcism of Emily Rose (well, the extended version, at least, which was the only one that I saw), and I am seriously looking forward to seeing Sinister. I have resolved not even to watch the trailer until after I see the film. I want to go into this one "cold," as much as one can these days. I expect to be scared out of my wits, and somehow, I don't think I'll be disappointed!

You will have a much better experience of the movie if you don't watch any of the trailers. They are very effective but they give a lot away.

The movie currently is at 100% fresh on Rotten Tomatoes with 16 reviews. For me as filmmaker, I am finding that good reviews don't feel nearly as good as bad reviews feel bad.

Edited by Scott Derrickson, 28 September 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#55 Nick Olson

Nick Olson

• 749 posts

Posted 28 September 2012 - 11:54 PM

Just wanted to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing/reviewing this one, Scott.

#56 Overstreet

Overstreet

Sometimes, there's a man.

• 17,304 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 12:52 AM

The press screening is on my birthday. I'm going to leave work at 5pm and drive straight to the theater to arrive in time. And I'm actually very pleased with this situation. Thanks in advance for the automatic birthday party, Scott!

#57 Peter T Chattaway

Peter T Chattaway

• 29,825 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 01:29 AM

Scott Derrickson wrote:
: Why wouldn't a Christian put the idea out there?

Well, if it isn't true, it isn't true. What would be gained by putting the idea out there? If it's just hooey, why not tether it to one of the dead religions, rather than a living one (especially one that you publicly adhere to)?

#58 Scott Derrickson

Scott Derrickson

• 370 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 02:06 AM

Scott Derrickson wrote:
: Why wouldn't a Christian put the idea out there?

Well, if it isn't true, it isn't true. What would be gained by putting the idea out there? If it's just hooey, why not tether it to one of the dead religions, rather than a living one (especially one that you publicly adhere to)?

Well, if it isn't true, it's fiction. This is a fiction film - and why should a Christian artist feel compelled to tether their fiction to dead religions rather than live ones (or especially not to Christianity)? Should C.S. Lewis have felt compelled to make Screwtape a Zoroastrian rather than a Christian demon? Whatever the answer, we need not debate it, as the fictional being in question is a pagan deity, one which (fictionally) ancient Christians had some opinions about.

Regarding the other thread I started - should I just go ahead and delete the whole thread?

The press screening is on my birthday. I'm going to leave work at 5pm and drive straight to the theater to arrive in time. And I'm actually very pleased with this situation. Thanks in advance for the automatic birthday party, Scott!

Well, I can't promise you an uplifting birthday, but I can promise you that it won't be boring!

Just wanted to say that I'm really looking forward to seeing/reviewing this one, Scott.

Thanks much Nicholas. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

Edited by Scott Derrickson, 29 September 2012 - 02:13 AM.

#59 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,944 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:18 AM

Scott, I'm wondering. If you don't mind could you pass on links to any of your near future interviews, and such like, for the films marketing.

Edited by Attica, 29 September 2012 - 04:32 AM.

#60 Attica

Attica

Celtic Creation Mystic, Film Buff- -oon

• 1,944 posts

Posted 29 September 2012 - 04:30 AM

Scott Derrickson said:

:Well, if it isn't true, it's fiction. This is a fiction film - and why should a Christian artist feel compelled to tether their fiction to dead religions rather than live ones (or especially not to Christianity)?

Sure. Just because the demon might be fictional doesn't mean that the film can't have Christian themes, messages, or questions, that probably would be largely lost if it was attached to a dead religion.

Edited by Attica, 29 September 2012 - 05:05 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Scott Derrickson