Arthur & Lancelot
Posted 19 June 2011 - 12:52 AM
- - -
Warner Bros Buys David Dobkin's 'Arthur & Lancelot' For $2 Million
EXCLUSIVE: Warner Bros has locked a deal to acquire the David Dobkin spec script Arthur & Lancelot for $2 million in a bidding war that involved Universal and Fox. Script is a $90 million budget contemporary re-imagining of the classic tale. Dobkin will direct, and he just completed the Universal comedy The Change-Up. . . . When a studio puts up that kind of money like was done for the Dobkin project, you can bet that is the one that takes precedence and you can expect the others to fade away.
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, June 17
Posted 08 August 2011 - 08:27 PM
Edited by bowen, 08 August 2011 - 08:28 PM.
Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:41 AM
Posted 10 August 2011 - 11:50 AM
Posted 10 August 2011 - 07:41 PM
Posted 11 August 2011 - 03:13 AM
Posted 11 August 2011 - 08:37 AM
Wait...what about a chain mail bikini to attract the all powerful 18-30 male crowd?
Posted 11 August 2011 - 10:22 AM
Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:15 PM
Oh, you're absolutely right. A trilogy or 4-parter would be ideal-- I just figured if I only had one shot I'd get the Ill-Made Knight in there .
Posted 16 December 2011 - 12:05 PM
EXCLUSIVE: Legendary Pictures’ Paradise Lost isn’t the only film being readied on the Warner Bros lot to face a budget crisis. Arthur & Lancelot, the David Dobkin script that Warner Bros paid $2 million to acquire last summer, won’t get made unless the budget drops dramatically. I’m told that even though Warner Bros dated the film for a March 15, 2013 release and cast Game of Thrones’ Kit Harington to play Arthur and The Killing‘s Joel Kinnaman to play Lancelot, the back and forth on budget has gotten to the point that the studio has invited Dobkin to set the picture up elsewhere if he can. I’ve heard that what started as a $90 million (other sources said Warners would make it for $110 million) contemporary style re-imagining of the Sword And The Stone tale has a budget the studio fears could reach $130 million. The studio feels that is just too much for a movie with two unproven leads. After the year’s wild box office swings and last weekend’s paltry performance, who can blame Warner Bros for being cautious?
It is obviously a Warner Bros goal to tell the story of Arthur, Lancelot and the Knights of the Roundtable, because the Dobkin spec supplanted two others that the studio had in development. The studio is keen to see through Dobkin’s version of the film (the spec deal allowed Dobkin to take it elsewhere if he and Warner Bros disagreed), but I’ve heard that if Arthur & Lancelot doesn’t figure it out, Ritchie might once again be trying to pull the sword out of the stone. . . .
Other Knights Of The Roundtable projects previously considered by WB was a remake of the 1981 John Boorman pic Excalibur that had Bryan Singer attached; there was a version that Sherlock Holmes helmer Guy Ritchie was working on with Trainspotting scribe John Hodge. There is also a Harry Potter-style take being produced by Donald DeLine that isn’t really impacted by any of this. Warner Bros would not comment on the Arthur & Lancelot situation.
Mike Fleming, Deadline.com, December 13
Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:38 PM
David Dobkin is writing and directing the pic, which was expected to go into production in January but wound up postponed due to budget and other concerns. Charles Roven will produce.
At the time Kit Harington was set to play King Arthur and Joel Kinniman was on board to play Lancelot, but when Warners pulled the plug both actors fell out due to scheduling conflicts.
With Farrell the film not only looks to be up and running, but the studio now has a more recognizable star in place. Some sources said the lack of that star was part of the reason Warners was wary about moving forward in January. . . .
Variety, March 14