American Idol

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#41 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 09 March 2006 - 11:30 PM

Just for the record, Will, Gedeon, Ayla, and Kinnik all got the heave-ho this week.

(Gedeon was the surprise for me - it was down to him and Bucky, and when they announced Bucky had survived, I had a mouth-dropping moment.)

#42 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 10 March 2006 - 10:34 AM

No big surprises this week, although I wouldve preferred Gedeon to Buckeye.

Did you catch what Gedeon said right after Ryan announced that hed be leaving the show? Thats OK, he said, as the audience began to clap loudly. Ive been saved by the blood of Jesus.

This is an awkward time with each season of AI, because its clear who the standouts are. We have to endure several weeks where the riff-raff are plucked off, one by one. There might be a surprise or two along the way, but usually a matter of order of elimination, not an outcry over the elimination of someone who actually was going to win the competition. Latoya London came close a couple of years ago, and Tmyra got axed before Nikki. But both years, the winner was pretty clear by that point, and it wasnt going to be either of those performers.

#43 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:07 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Mar 15 2006, 11:37 PM) View Post

BTW, if you didn't already know, Chris is a worship leader in his church. .

He's a Christian? How totally and utterly cool.

#44 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 16 March 2006 - 02:55 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Mar 16 2006, 12:58 PM) View Post

Well, either that, or his church has really, really low standards.

Well, we are talking about "praise and worship" music.... ;-)

#45 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 08:49 PM

I heard rumors that Creed was going to do their own reality show to find a new singer, but they decided they will sign Chris Daughtry instead.

#46 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE(run @ Mar 21 2006, 08:49 PM) View Post

I heard rumors that Creed was going to do their own reality show to find a new singer, but they decided they will sign Chris Daughtry instead.

What bothered me about the whole performance with him tonight was that they never gave proper credit to the "artist" that came up with that rendition of Cash's I Walk The Line - Live.

Of course, if Paula Abdul calls you a true artist, what exactly does that mean in the long run?

I really hope Kevin is gone after this week. I'm worried that he's getting too much of an ego with the attention he is receiving, and at his age, that's not a good thing. He doesn't really have the kind of long-lasting talent that some of the better contestants have.

Edited by Clint M, 22 March 2006 - 01:53 AM.

#47 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 11:55 AM

The American Idol contestants seems to have collected into four packs, like a bicycle race.

The leaders, (by a long shot)
Chris Daughtry
Mandisa

Within Striking Distance
Taylor Hicks
Katherine McPhee
Paris Bennet

The Pack
Elliott Yamin
Kelly Pickler
Lisa Tucker
Ace Young

Barely Pedaling
Kevin Cobais
Bucky Covington

Regardless of my feelings expressed above, I think Lisa Tucker, Bucky Covington and Elliott will be the bottom three (maybe sub in Ace for Elliott). Elliott's certainly good, but is he anybody's favorite? THAT's what keeps you on the show.

#48 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,746 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:10 PM

QUOTE(Clint M @ Mar 22 2006, 01:46 AM) View Post
What bothered me about the whole performance with him tonight was that they never gave proper credit to the "artist" that came up with that rendition of Cash's I Walk The Line - Live.
Ditto last week too, when Chris said blatantly on the pre-video that he was gonna sing a Stevie song covered in the 90's by Red Hot Chili Peppers... After his performance, the judges appeared blown away by his " very original" rendition! Apparently the judges don't know middle of the road, 90's alternative rock hits that well.

#49 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 02:19 PM

Alan, I mentioned Chris' church connection to a co-worker, but she's skeptical and wants proof.

You promised a link?

#50 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Mar 22 2006, 03:11 PM) View Post

My wife found a set list from his worship group. She hasn't sent it to me yet. But -- WHY would your coworker be skeptical?

I overstated it, maybe. She wrote me an e-mail:

How in the WORLD do you know that? Or are you just making it up?

I thought I should back up the claim with some evidence. That's all.

On Chris' webpage (at idolonfox.com) he expresses his desire to thank God (before his wife and so on). His personal goal is "to have a successful marriage and be a good father".

Just google "'Chris Daughtry' Christian" and you'll get plenty of backup. His band is called "Absent Element".

Television without pity might have more info.

I'll go check those sites. Thanks.

#51 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:32 PM

It's funny, but I have heard Mandisa leads worship as well. For a beth Moore bible study, in fact. Going hunting for proof.

#52 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

BTW, one of the Google links that came up had these words in the description portion under the link: a christian rock band but he is still d--n HOT

That made me laugh

#53 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(DanBuck @ Mar 22 2006, 04:32 PM) View Post

It's funny, but I have heard Mandisa leads worship as well. For a beth Moore bible study, in fact. Going hunting for proof.

I knew Crosswalk had an article on her, but I can't seem to find it. However, Reality TV Magazine's Blog has some information about her professional involvement as a worship leader/background singer.

Edited by Clint M, 22 March 2006 - 05:25 PM.

#54 DanBuck

DanBuck

Bigger. Badder. Balder.

• 2,419 posts

Posted 23 March 2006 - 07:40 AM

Elliot's one of the best voices, but I gotta wonder is anybody think he's the best?! Is he anybody's favorite? He's like Jennifer Hutson (two years ago)? He's flying to far under the radar.

And the teeth don't help.

smile.gif

#55 Jakob Christopher

Jakob Christopher

• New User
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:16 PM

Wow. This must be an old thread... comments about Fantasia possibly winning American Idol...

As far as the current season goes, my bet is on Catherine McPhee.

#56 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(DanBuck @ Mar 23 2006, 07:40 AM) View Post

Elliot's one of the best voices, but I gotta wonder is anybody think he's the best?! Is he anybody's favorite? He's like Jennifer Hutson (two years ago)? He's flying to far under the radar.

And the teeth don't help.

smile.gif

After this week? No. Not even close.

Bah, this week was strange. After two weeks of decent to some mind-blowing performances, it seems like everyone bombed out this week in regards to both performances and song selection. Taylor's was a little inspired, but Paris trying to take on a Beyonce song? A bad Beyonce song? And then booty-shaking her way through it? Yikes.

I agree with Simon about Chris - either show off that you have some diversity in your voice, or expect to leave soon. He's got to have another style he's very good at.

Personally, I'm hoping the final 2 are Taylor and Mandisa. Don't think it will happen, though. (Although they are both from the South!)

Edited by Clint M, 29 March 2006 - 12:23 AM.

#57 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE(Clint M @ Mar 29 2006, 12:23 AM) View Post

but Paris trying to take on a Beyonce song? A bad Beyonce song? And then booty-shaking her way through it? Yikes.

AMEN. That was a BIG disappointment. But hey, that girl can sang. Just wish she'd avoid the raunchy stuff. It's not her strength.

Personally, I'm hoping the final 2 are Taylor and Mandisa.

I'm right there with you.

Don't think it will happen, though.

I'm beginning to wonder. They're the two most likable of the bunch, and that goes a long way, I think. Mandisa wasn't at her best last night, but she was better than the first three that went last night, and almost as good as Taylor. I doubt she'll be in the bottom three, although I do wonder if the outright praise stuff might make the majority of the audience uncomfortable. I'm all for boldness in one's faith, but "American Idol" is not a church service.

#58 Christian

Christian

• 10,827 posts

Posted 30 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

Its somewhat of a relief to know that Im not the ONLY person underwhelmed by Katherine MacPhee.

#59 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 31 March 2006 - 10:51 AM

Here are my predictions to what the contestants will sing in next weeks country theme:

Mandisa - I'll Fly Away
Bucky - Man. I feel like a woman
Chris D - Butterfly Kisses
Paris - some Dixie Chicks song like Sin Wagon
Pickler - Workin' 9-5
Ace Young - Drops of Jupiter (country-style with a twang)
Katherine McPhee - Blue (Lee Ann Rymes)
Taylor Hicks - Sweet Home Alabama
Elliot Yamin - Friends in Low Places

#60 Robinflamingo

Robinflamingo

• 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:38 PM

Oooh, I love these choices, since these are three of my four favs:

Katherine McPhee - Blue (Lee Ann Rymes)
Taylor Hicks - Sweet Home Alabama
Elliot Yamin - Friends in Low Places

Mandisa is my #1 pick, and frankly, I just want her to sing something big, and move past country week because Kellie Jo Bob and Bucky Roy Lee are making me nervous.