American Idol

• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#61 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:41 AM

I thought it was a great night for AI, not as far as memorable performances go, but as a great test of genuine singing ability. Most of these contestants lean a little too comfortably on their R&B riffing-- which is usually a vital attribute for them week-to-week -- but a convincing modern pop/country delivery requires a lot less affectation and a little more reliance on melody and subtle phrasing. It was interesting to hear several who normally tear it up in the R&B niche, flounder around trying to sing clear melodies-- most noticably Paris who looked scared and uncertain. The hands down winner last night for me was Elliot, who I thought was excellent. And as much as I hate to admit it, Ace-- who is not a strong singer at all-- also turned in a beautiful performance. Next in line was Katherine, who provides such a compelling visual that I cant remember her singing a single note.

Edited by coltrane, 05 April 2006 - 07:43 AM.

#62 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:38 AM

QUOTE(Alan Thomas @ Apr 4 2006, 10:32 PM) View Post

Oh, my what a terrible night. As...much...as...I...hate...to...say...it...........................................................................................................
Spoiler

Yes on this, but as for the rest, you're WAY OFF, Alan. smile.gif

Good song choice makes all the difference. I'm not convinced she can sing, though. Better for her to choose Reba than Martina McBride.

Also disappointing: Bucky! I though he would NAIL this week. At least he got to wear his hat.

I thought he did fine, but wouldn't be surprised if he was in the bottom three. After the other dreadful performances last night, I would be surprised to see Bucky go tonight.

Chris Daughtry did very well, too. He demonstrated an unseen versatility and (perhaps most importantly) he connected with the country-lovin' voting base by identifying country roots.

Hey, I'm agreeing with you more than I realized after first reading through your post.

Elliott. Did he sing tonight? I've forgotten already.

Thought he was one of the best, but also rather forgettable. I'd hate to see him bow out this soon.

Katharine's going to fall through the cracks. Sigh.

Now you're just in Crazy Land, Alan. I'm not Katharine's biggest fan, but she was by far the best last night. I think she'll sail through.

Mandisa was off, but she did as well as could be expected, I think. Weird song choice.

I'm a little worried about her. She was off, but watching the clips at the end of the show, I was reminded of just how much better of a singer she is than most of the others. Not a good song choice.

Paris looked human for a change, but she messed up a few times on the song.

Yeah, she blew it.

Bottom three for me (this week only): Taylor, Bucky, Mandisa. How weird is THAT?

Pretty weird. I think Taylor especially, and maybe Mandisa, are still well liked enough to squeak through, even with weak performances. Bucky might be among the bottom three, maybe the bottom two. But last?

Top three:
Spoiler
, Chris, maybe...Katharine? The first two are solid. Third is pretty distant.

Agreed, although we aren't privy to the "top three" each week, only the bottom three.

Coltrane wrote:
thought it was a great night for AI, not as far as memorable performances go. ... The hands down winner last night for me was Elliot, who I thought was excellent. And as much as I hate to admit it, Ace-- who is not a strong singer at all-- also turned in a beautiful performance. Next in line was Katherine, who provides such a compelling visual that I cant remember her singing a single note.

A "great night"? Man, what show were you watching? smile.gif ACE??? He was Terrible, with a capital “T.” Keith Urban ain’t exactly a stretch, but Ace was Way Off through most of the song. The judges were far too kind. I expect him to be in the bottom three, and if there’s any justice, I think he should be the one to go with week. As for Katherine, yeah, she gets prettier with each week.

Edited by Christian, 05 April 2006 - 09:39 AM.

#63 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:58 AM

How could I forget to post this amusing take on the vital subject of “American Idol” fashion, after last week’s performance?:

There is nothing but love and affection going out to Mandisa Hundley, who shouted out a gospel song like she thought the good Lord was deaf. But a pair of tight, distressed bluejeans with insets of black spangled lace along the outside of the calves, a black tank top, and a sheer black knit shrug cupping her bosom were not the most flattering clothing choices and seemed out of sync with her let's-have-some-church- up-in-here performance.

--Ouch, but what do you expect from a fashion writer?

#64 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 11:19 AM

QUOTE(Christian @ Apr 5 2006, 10:38 AM) View Post
A "great night"? Man, what show were you watching? smile.gif
Again, i thought it was a great show only insofar as it showed the frontrunner contestants being stretched outside of their comfort zone. To me, that's fun to watch.
ACE??? He was Terrible, with a capital “T.” Keith Urban ain’t exactly a stretch, but Ace was Way Off through most of the song. The judges were far too kind. I expect him to be in the bottom three, and if there’s any justice, I think he should be the one to go with week. As for Katherine, yeah, she gets prettier with each week.
I thought Ace provided one of the evenings more genuine, heartfelt performances... and no, sir he was not singing out of key for most of the song. biggrin.gif However, Chris was as flat as a pancake.

Katherine... my, my, my... eek.gif

#65 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 01:06 PM

QUOTE(coltrane @ Apr 5 2006, 12:19 PM) View Post

I thought Ace provided one of the evenings more genuine, heartfelt performances... and no, sir he was not singing out of key for most of the song. biggrin.gif However, Chris was as flat as a pancake.

new_argue.gif I will take you down to Chinatown!

OK, I went out on a limb here in the office and predicted a surprising Bottom 3. Let's see how far off I am:

Paris
Ace
Elliot

Going Home: Ace

--Mind you, I don't think Elliot should be in the Bottom 3, but I predict he will be.

#66 Greg P

Greg P

Episcopi Vagantes

• 1,739 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:22 PM

My bottom three prediction:
Mandissa
Bucky
and the shocker of the evening...
CHRIS! (Yes! The guy is as emotive as Burl Ives with a tissue paper thin timbre when not shrieking like a Stapp/Cher wannabe)

#67 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:13 AM

And while Mandisa was voted off (boo!), here's something interesting I found at TV Guide:

Is American Idol finalist Mandisa homophobic?
We'd love to be able to say it ain't so, but we can't say anything for sure until the plus-size powerhouse has been eliminated and the show's gag order lifted. But the evidence against her is mounting. In introducing the religious-themed "Wanna Praise You" on Tuesday's episode, she said, "This song goes out to everybody that wants to be free. Your addiction, lifestyle or situation may be big, but God is bigger!" What's more, in her personal profile on Idol's official website, she calls antigay author/lecturer Beth Moore her own "idol." An Idol rep reminds us that "we don't comment on the personal lives of our contestants." An industry insider, meanwhile, sniffs: "Does she really think she can have a career without us gay boys?" I believe Donna Summer has the answer to that question.

cussing.gif blowup.gif

In other news, the American Idol voting hack/website DialIdol.com has predicted the losers correctly this week. They've gotten pretty close a few weeks (but it's not completely fool-proof.) You may want to check it out.

Edited by Clint M, 06 April 2006 - 12:27 AM.

#68 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 12:15 AM

C'mon, Queen has many potentially great AI songs.

Don't Stop Me Now
Good Ole Fashion Loverboy
Somebody To Love
Play The Game
Fat Bottom Girls (the song that Mandisa was born to sing....ok I just looked up the lyrics...nevermind)

#69 Diane

Diane

Musical Shepherdess Goes to Washington

• 1,049 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

Just read this in Television Without Pity's recaplet of last night's show, and it made me laugh. (I'll cut out the colorful language.) Describing Kenny Rogers' performance last night:

What's Left Of Kenny Rogers sings one of those...country songs with the clever wordplay, all, "I can't unthink about you, I can't not unremember the unthinking rememories of whatever."

Edited by Diane, 06 April 2006 - 09:47 AM.

#70 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 09:48 AM

I got two of the Bottom 3 right, but the one I missed was a pretty big miss. (Or, if you’re Simon Cowell, a “Big Miss.”)

Sad to see Mandisa go. I was hoping she’d defy the odds and actually win the competition. The sting is muted by the reality that she chose a terrible song. Therefore, her ouster was not the outrage it might’ve otherwise been.

Hard to believe Mandisa is gone, while Bucky is still around. Bucky has a decent voice for certain types of rock music, but next week’s Queen theme should make a fool of him.

Edited by Christian, 06 April 2006 - 09:49 AM.

#71 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:47 AM

Unbelievable moment from Paula last night that isn’t getting much play today.

When Chris Daughtry concluded, Paula repeats that Queen never had performed that song, maybe because they were waiting for Chris to do it, or something along those lines.

Simon then says they never performed it because “it’s a lousy song,” a comment with which, having just sat through the performance, I’d have to agree.

But what no one says, even though Ryan had introduced the song as being form a 1991 album, is that Freddie Mercury DIED OF AIDS in 1991. Gosh, do you think that might have had something to do with why he never got on stage and belted out the song? Just asking.

The show was disappointing again, although not as bad as Country night. Katharine sang “Who Wants to Live Forever?” with, I thought, very little of the emotion Mercury brought to that song. The net effect is to make apparent how weak the song is without Mercury behind it. I’m reading now that Mandisa had planned to sing that song before she got booted, and although I’m not sure she could’ve overcome the song’s limitations, I think her faith perspective might have added something to the performance that was lacking last night (but then again, Katharine has given brief testimony about the will of God on the show, hasn’t she? Hmmm…).

Taylor was the liveliest. Pickler was surprisingly good, despite the Goth look.

Once again, my vote for the person to be booted goes to Ace. I hope it’s not Elliot, who looked a little manic at first, but ended up knocking “Someone to Love” out of the park.

#72 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 02:21 PM

By “surprisingly good,” I meant “better than I’d expected.” I’m no great fan of Pickler’s, although every article I read about this year’s “AI” mentions her as a shoo-in for the final two or three. Even Simon has said as much. I find this hard to believe, if, as Simon and the other judges have said repeatedly, “AI” is actually a “singing competition,” and not a personality contest. Pickler’s voice just isn’t up to some of her song selections. Her Reba McIntyre choice last week was just right. I thought she’d completely bomb out on “Bohemian Rhapsody,” but she did fine with it. I do think the clip of her in rehearsal, dressed normally and having fun, was better than the black-eyeliner death chick thing she had going during the actual performance, but I don’t anticipate she’ll be punished for that.

Will it be a Bottom 3 tonight, or, with just 8 performers left, will the show segue to a Bottom 2? I won’t be able to watch it—got a church session meeting—but that’s a relief, seeing as how FOX has managed to once again stretch the results show to 60 minutes! Oh brother.

It’s not like Queen can perform.

Oh wait. Yes they can, with Paul Rodgers on lead vocals. That might be cool. But come to think of it, haven’t we had artist performances during the previous 30-MINUTE results shows?

Get ready for some serious padding. “Behind the Scenes” at the latest “AI” Ford commercial. Take a tour of Bucky’s hometown (before he’s gone—hey, neither of us is predicting that he’ll be among the lowest vote getters). Let Elliott do his DJ thing again. Etc, Etc.

Edited by Christian, 12 April 2006 - 02:21 PM.

#73 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 06:22 PM

Predictions: Ace, Bucky, and Paris...bottom three. Bye bye to Bucky.

#74 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 09:27 PM

QUOTE(run @ Apr 12 2006, 07:22 PM) View Post

Predictions: Ace, Bucky, and Paris...bottom three. Bye bye to Bucky.

Close! Ace, Bucky, and Elliott were the bottom three... and Bucky went bye-bye.

Of all the weeks to send Bucky home, why this one? Ace did worse than Bucky did this week.

#75 run

run

• 390 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 07:01 PM

Yep those were my Ms Cleo predictions....as much as I wanted someone to sing Fat Bottom Girls...he sang it without any controversy nor any humor and it also hurt him that he went first.

Unless Paris chooses a decent song that fits her, I think she will go next week. I liked her alot in the beginning of the season, but her performances now are almost starting to become nails on chalkboard....Wind Beneath My Wings, How Do I Live, That Booty Shakin' Thang.....damn wasted talent on such crappy songs.

But if Paris does get booted, watch out for the race card to come out since the rest of the field is very very white.

I like Katharine McPhee the best. I hope they have Aretha week cause she sings those Aretha songs really well.

Edited by run, 14 April 2006 - 05:37 PM.

#76 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:42 AM

I agree wholeheartedly with nearly everything you’ve written, Alan. After the busts that were Country night and Queen night, an evening of standards brought out the best in these performers. Taylor saved himself late, after a largely ho-hum rendition of Sam Cooke’s “You Send Me,” the original of which I’ve been listening to a lot lately. Good ol’ Taylor pales in comparison, as would anybody, but he took things up a notch in the final 30 seconds and made a good impression.

Katharine was simply dazzling last night, the best “AI” performance I’ve seen since … well, since Fantasia, lying on the “AI” stage, did “Summertime” a couple of years ago.

And so, feeling some gratitude for the level of performances, I picked up the phone and decided to vote for the contestant that seemed most vulnerable, but least deserving of being voted off this week. That contestant: Elliot, who, despite Simon’s chiding, showed MORE personality this week than in weeks past, and who sang the heck out of his chosen song.

I couldn’t get through. I hit “redial” several times, but no. Not even as I was going to bed at 10 p.m. could I get through on that line. I did revert to voting for Paris, who was in great form last night. I didn’t think she was too Billie-esque at all. I got through on my third attempt to vote for her—an ominous sign, perhaps.

We’ll see tonight, although I might be out … buying a car.

Edited by Christian, 19 April 2006 - 09:43 AM.

#77 Tim Willson

Tim Willson

• 1,093 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:53 AM

I was a huge Paris fan at first, but I think she comes off as a child. She likely could have won AI if she had entered in another year or two, but I think she's not quite ready for prime time.

Taylor, Chris and Katharine have consistently been among the best, and although I'd likely buy a Taylor Hicks CD before the other two, I think Katharine is going to win, and likely should. Her performances are nearly flawless, and unless she is forced into singing a pile of pop nonsense, she could be a superstar.

I say that even though I can't name a single song she has sung so far, and didn't really *need* to hear any of them twice -- while Chris and Taylor have each given performances that I could have watched over and over (eg. I Walk the Line and Livin' For the City). Chris has a brooding intensity that I find a bit tiring, but Taylor has an infectious enthusiasm -- NO-ONE is having more fun than he is. (Less running around would be good...) Yes, looking forward to Taylor's next CD.

#78 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 02:05 PM

Am I the only person on this board that thinks Katherine is a bit over-rated? Sure, she has a good voice, but the problem I have is that she often tries to sing higher than she's prepared for. Her notes on top often sound weak to me. There's also the issue of her attitude - she's trying to hide the fact that she is rather stuck on herself, but it creeps through every time someone makes any kind of critical comment about her performance.

I'm still hoping Taylor pulls out the win. It may be the first Idol related album I purchase.

I think Elliott is the most underrated. He's not a great performer, but the boy can sing. He is growing on me week by week.

Ace should be kaput after tonight. I can't understand how he has stayed in the running this long - well, he is man-pretty, and that helps. Voice wise, he needs to get the excessive airiness out, and fix his pitch problems. (This is the singing/voice teacher part of me coming out.)

Edited by Clint M, 19 April 2006 - 02:11 PM.

#79 Clint M

Clint M

Drowning in Reinvention

• 1,733 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:27 PM

Dear Taylor,

We've found a way to cause friction between you and the rest of the contentants. Want to play along?

Signed,
The American Idol Producers.

Ace went bye-bye this week, but Chris and Paris were in the bottom 3.

Edited by Clint M, 19 April 2006 - 08:30 PM.

#80 Christian

Christian

• 10,712 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE(Clint M @ Apr 19 2006, 03:05 PM) View Post

Am I the only person on this board that thinks Katherine is a bit over-rated?

Ummm, did you see my earlier post (#69) on this? She's growing on me. Last night was outstanding. But that was a bit of a revelation for me. She hadn't really connected with me before last night.

Anyway, good to see Ace go, and it'll probably do Chris some good to have a little scare.

Pickler, on the other hand... if she wasn't in the bottom 3 THIS week, will she ever be?